Unreal Engine hardware requirements

Hi community,
this is my first post in this forum, until now I’ve learned Unreal Engine from Tutorials, Books and Online Documentation, but I would like to start with the development of my project. I’m not new to C++ or Game Development, but this is the first time with Unreal Engine and I’ve encountered a few problems so far.

The thing is that the computer I’m currently using doesn’t meet the minimum requirements of Unreal Engine, and this is OK, I know that I need a more powerful PC in order to be able to code with Unreal Engine.

The problem is that, though my PC doesn’t meet the minimum requirements it has the specifics of an average computer:

• Intel Core i5-4200U (2.30 GHz)
  • 6GB of RAM (8GB is the minimum required by Unreal Engine)
  • AMD Radeon R7 M265
  • Windows 8.1 (x64)

but when I open projects like the “Open World Demo” for Unreal Engine 4.8 it completely freezes with RAM, CPU and Disk at 100%.

My question is the following: if that specifics aren’t even close to the minimum required how much more computing power do I need in order to run Unreal Engine smoothly?
I’m planning to assemble a computer specifically for Unreal Engine and I would really appreciate some of your advice for the hardware.

Currently my build is the following:

• 16GB of RAM DDR4 2666Mhz
  • Intel Core i7 (Quad-Core, 5th generation)
  • ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
  • Graphic card not choosen yet, but I will most likely buy an INVIDIA one

But before purchasing everything I’d like to hear a few advice from those who actively develop with Unreal Engine.
Thanks to everyone and I hope my question isn’t a duplicate!

I think you will be okay with your new build … just remember that the “Open World Demo” is designed to push the limits and show what is possible with Unreal Engine.

Thank you for the approval and suggestion :slight_smile:

The Kite Demo needs at least 24GB of RAM to run it properly, I am maxed out at 16GB. Your new specs look very good, I wonder how well that RAM will perform.

Hi Jamendxman3,
thank you for your suggestion!

The overall costs of this build will be around 1,500-2,000€, spending 100-150 more euros for 16GB of additional RAM isn’t a problem at all, if you think that it could not only improve the performance but IS required I’ll follow your advice and invest a few more euros for the RAM.

Thank you again!

Mind you that the Kite Demo requirements are currently an exception. It’s an extremely huge and detailed world, you don’t necessarily ran into issues with 16GB unless you pursue equal content. That said however, 24-32 sure isn’t the worst investment and can become in handy on other occasions such as rendering as well. If your budget is that high anyways, you should go for more.

Do you pursuie a quad-SLI setup or want to go heavy on OC? Because otherwise there is not really a reason to spent a quarter of your budget for the mainboard only.

The alternative is Asus 2011 X99-Pro since I’ve been told from a collegue that the RAMPAGE V is a waste of money for me.

I have a ASUS X-99A with a GTX 980 Runs like a champ I have tested on a GTX 970 still runs great I would highly recommend sticking with Nvidia cards for a lot less headaches.

Why is that the only alternative? There are plenty of X99 boards from Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock out there which are around ~200€ while even the X99-Pro costs 325€.

Unless you have a very specific need/reason to buy that particular board, there is no need to put money into it. Unlike ~15 years ago, today there are almost no “bad vendors” you should avoid. And almost all, even the “low end” manufacturers create sufficient boards that are probably the least part that breaks or causes issues. ASUS is not THE manufacturer anymore, they mainly live off their brand establishment back then, which is obsolete today. There is really no reason to give them that much money.