Unreal Engine Crayon-like Outline

Hello UE Experts! I was wandering if there is any way to make a outline in UE crayon like, instead of a clean one.
I am still a newbie when it comes to nodes, any help would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

Yes, it is possible, it is however hard to get a good result.

I used this: Elias Wick | Outline to test it. Simply you take the white and black mask of the background and outline. Then get a duplicate and increase the size, finally add a noise texture or noise node to disrupt the first mask, then add them together.

I managed to get this after 3 minutes, which isn’t really what you want:
bild

Depending on how the Outline is generated, you would have to use various methods. In my case, the outline expands from the center, so I would have to offset the outline in order to get the proper look. This means that I would have to rework most of the shader.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve learn a new method.

1 Like

Update:
So, I manage to achieve somewhat of a jagged outline by using a texture.

The method of outline I use was applying an overlay material (UE5.1 new feature) to an actor, so basically no post processing is needed.

Settings

Here is a preview of the material:

This is where I got stuck again, I couldn’t manage to crunch the jagged outline any smaller. Any experts know of how to fix that?

Hello, im trying to do a similar thing, how looks the texture source image that you have used for the outline? i would like to see that to have a reference

I’ve used the default texture that came with Unreal under the Engine folder, but any texture will do.

I am currently working on outlines but it seems the Fresnel doesn’t work well with meshes with flat surfaces like Cube to create outline effect.
Is there any way to achieve better results with the same approach without using post process materials?

1 Like