Unreal Engine 5's Third-Person Template - Backward Movement Speed is Maddeningly Unchangeable

I’m at my wit’s end with Unreal Engine 5’s default third-person template. The character runs backward at the same ludicrous speed as running forward, making it look absolutely absurd - which is ridiculous and unacceptable for any serious game development.

I’ve spent countless hours trying to adjust the backward movement speed to a playable state. Despite my efforts, it seems impossible to change this behavior in the blueprint. It’s infuriating that something that should take mere seconds to adjust is turning out to be the most complicated task in the world.

I’m losing patience with Unreal Engine, and it’s driving me to the brink of just wanting to puke! Has anyone else experienced this problem? Has anyone ever changed the horrible third person backward running speed? I don’t want to add new animations. Just limite dthe “Max Speed” when the value is less than 0. But it is impossible. :frowning:

You can modify the backwards speed like this

But, the character will end up walking…

back

:cry: How can I fix the back walk?

You have to tinker with the animation blueprint. But if you want backwards to be slower, the player will be walking… unless you want it to look weird :slight_smile:

Ok Turning off the Orient Rotation to Movement helps a bit.

1 Like

Can you tell me what I have to change in the blueprint? Walking will be fine

1 Like

Sorry, anim BPs is not my area :smiling_face_with_tear: