Unreal Engine 5 preview date

Hello everyone!
When is the ue5 preview to be released to the public? Were working on a kickstarter project and really cant wait to migrate to UE5 whenever that is.

Many thanks

They haven’t said, wait for an announcement

In they’re UE5 presenation epic said early 2021. The first quarter of a year is usually considered to be “eraly in the year”, that being said we have april and there is no UE5 release… :frowning:

my point exactly, were now into the 4th month of 2021 which is approaching the end of the first quarter. Im not running the camogain until were officialy into the u5 preview :smiley: just cant wait for it!! like a kid at christmas.

The UE5 video got dropped in june 2020, so the pandemic was already a thing. However what we don’t know is, if the clip was recorded before the first wave.

At that point, no one (aside from a few people) knew or expected what was going to happen later that year.

I would not expect UE5 to come before 4.27 at least, if there is no 4.28 it probably will come whenever 4.28 would have come. (remember, 4.27 wasnt on epics roadmap either, it was 4.26 and “4.26+”.)

That said, a heads up from Epic on this would be nice. Its not like anyone will be angry, but its currently quite troublesome to plan anything.

Good point, coding / software enginerering should be not to much of a problem from home. Even if home office would effect the work on unreal engine in a negative way, i don’t believe it would be like, now we need shift the relase by 6 months or something lime that.

Tomorrow! (Wednesday April 6) or this week

Excuse me, but where did you get this date?

It will come in 2077

2 weeks

1 week later…

Unless you are literally considering taking a job at EPIC (which I hear can be fun, challenging, and rewarding!) then it doesn’t matter what you want or how much you ask… it will be done when it’s done. Projects being announced a year out, and then being delayed, is quite normal for software – I’d be more surprised if they were on time. That never happens!

Use 4.26. Try to track down and report or fix as many of those bugs you can. Chances are, bugs fixed in 4.26 will end up also making 5.0 better, as it’s based on the same code code.

4 Likes

You guys do realise there is a 4.27 coming? So I doubt UE5 will land at the same time or even close to that. Anyway, what do you even need UE5 for anyway… is UE4.26 not enough for you right now?

I’d say it’s too much for 1 person to handle. They keep adding tools I can’t keep up with :expressionless: but that might be me.

Besides, if you expect UE5 to behave better than UE4 on release, I’d curb my enthusiasm.

2 Likes

For me, the real difference I’m waiting for in 5.0 is Verse, as an alternative to represent game logic in blueprints or C++. SkookupScript got abandoned few version ago because of it, Lua integration is very painful/manual. Obviously, one can write a very good game in C++ or blueprints (or even assembly), but Verse might improve quality of life considerably for non-C++ people who still like to code.

Of course, it might turn out to be very limited in capabilities or not available for another year while they polish it behind the scenes - we will see.

2 Likes

4.28 is coming and I am not even joking…

1 Like

(For motorsep, for some reason replying is partially broken and wont show thati m replying, devs plz fix.)

Unconfirmed, but definitely possible.

I am pretty sure this commit confirms it https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/b65b940d0af8ba55c02cde0db90ffbd8022d00ee

1 Like

Nevermind then, confirmed!