Unreal Engine 5 Only Crashes With VR Template

If you look in the bug tracker (see link a few post more up) - it should be fixed now and in the next 5.0.2 update which hopefully will come soon™

I just game here to say that I’m unable to get to the stage where I can get a new VR template project setup in UE5, there’s a crash before the new project has finished being created.

Anyone else getting this?

Edit: I also have the OpenXR Toolkit installed. When I disable this Unreal doesn’t crash when building a template VR project anymore.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s post-Upgrade 5.0.1, and the VR template is still at it. I’m experiencing failed assertions while building both materials and lighting. And it isn’t the install or my drivers. I’ve done a clean install and went so far as to DDU my GPU drivers and completely reinstall. Also, I’m able to build both materials and lighting just fine in a “blank project” with some props added. In fact, that might be my solution for now – build the game in a blank or FPS project, and add the VR controls using Blueprint.

Hi, do you have any tutorial or link that can help me setting up VR in a blank project ? Thank you !

Was hoping the VR template and material editor crashing will be resolved with the release of UE5.0.2 but it doesn’t seem to have been fixed.
Probably if you are planning to work on a VR project stick with UE4.27 for a while :frowning:

Strange - I didn’t experience any material editor crashes in 5.02 anymore.

I do experience very frequent VR crashes with 5.02 though. First time launching in VR almost always works but a second time starting a VR preview very often crashes. Some openXR error. Submitted all the crashes so I guess Epics database is getting quite some entries from VR users in 5.02.

I’m having similar issues (5.02) but in my case it only crashes when launching a packaged version. I know its related to the Headset (Vive) being plugged in because it launches without cashing when the headset is unplugged. Does anyone have this problem?

I just solved this issue by changing from DX12 to DX11. Works perfectly now

1 Like

I have the same issue with my VIVE and used the same solution of switching to dx11.

i confirm that switching to dx11 works, but in my case i need to have reflections and some ray trace effects, you can’t have them with dx11.

Hate to revive this, but I am running into this, HOW does one switch from DX12 to DX11, I am guessing running the engine .exe with -d3d11, then opening your project? I’m having mine crash on open. It’s driving me so crazy that I’m wanting to spam Epic with the bug reports and crash reports. I built my project from scratch and enabled plugins one-by-one and now it’s starting to kick me in the butt again.

Hi Digitalp2k,

In yourprojectfolder/Config/DefaultEngine.ini try adding/changing

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12

to DX11

BUT FIRST

Try just disabling instanced stereo in that ini file

vr.InstancedStereo=False

ALSO

Consider trying the 5.1 preview. (And let me know if you are still crashing or if it is resolved)

Steam VR still crashes with 5.1 preview when using DX12 :frowning:

Can confirm, this is driving me crazy and holding back the project a lot which needs to be done by end of Oct :confused:

I need the dx12 features for VR and it only seems to be an issue with VR and DX12. Please look into this whoever can. Very important

Yea im abou to buy a quest 2 at this point just sucks i paid so much for my vive pro :frowning:

thank you for the detail.

I wanted to revive this thread. UE 5.1 has been running sweet. In normal projects I can use Lumens, Nanite on DX12 and SM6 with no issues.
As soon as I go into a VR project within UE5.1 the crashes start.
Obviously I’m not using Lumens or Nanite with VR, but weirdly UE crashes without throwing up a crash report.

Is anyone else having this issue with 5.1?

I am having very similar problems, and they are very persistent.

I have tried updating my graphics drivers, swapping to dx11, reinstalling UE 5.1, unplugging and plugging everything back in, and reinstalling windows before trying those steps (and more) again.

The behavior does not change. I get very inconsistent results when attempting stereo rendering in the VR template, and in a blank project. These results are mostly crashes with no report generated. Occasionally, another report will generate. Other times, certain shaders fail to load. The strangest result was a mostly successful render to my HMD, which was only unworkable because the world was upside down.

I hope I’m missing something basic, but it seems like my UE is very haunted and I must wait for a fix. I have not tried on another computer, because I don’t have access to another one with a DP port to plug in my HMD.

I will be borrowing an Oculus Quest and trying on another computer soon.

1 Like

Same trouble with UE 5.1 on MacOS and Macbook M1 Pro.
UE 5.1 is crashing while creating or loading VR projects.
UE 5.0 made the project, even deployed it on Oculus Quest 2, but application hanged while starting on the device.
I thought that upgrading UE will solve this trouble but no, it much worse.

1 Like

I’ve tried opening a VR project created with UE 5.1 on UE 5.2, but nothing changes.
And I know in advance that the opened project will crash, because the opening is delayed on “75% initializing” and every time it does it on UE 5.2 and the software crashes.
On UE 5.1, on the other hand, opening the file doesn’t linger on “Initializing”.
I’ve tried opening a VR project created with UE 5.1 on UE 5.2, but nothing changes.
And I know in advance that the opened project will crash, because the opening is delayed on “75% initializing” and every time it does it on UE 5.2 and the software crashes.
On UE 5.1, on the other hand, opening the file doesn’t linger on “Initializing”.

LoginId:9bb293fc485cd012e2748fbf79f85545
EpicAccountId:298ce7e84f40438e818d829bfcf511f5

Assertion failed: ((Result) >= 0) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\OpenXR\Source\OpenXRHMD\Private\OpenXRCore.cpp] [Line: 24]

UnrealEditor_OpenXRHMD
UnrealEditor_OpenXRInput
UnrealEditor_OpenXRInput
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor