Unreal Engine 5 on Mac (water issues)

Ok cheers. Whilst you’re there sorting the bug can you enable lumen and nanite too lol

Lumen works on a few MacOS systems, I believe intel based chips and Metal2+ on UE 5.0.2 can run it without major issues. However Nanite is still off the table almost entirely until UE5.1+. Some users have been able to kind of get Nanite working with various hacks on MacOS but it causes some serious artifacting, crashing, etc. That said we are trying to get more MacOS compatibility by 5.1. A thread with many MacOS users tracking it: Lumen & Nanite on MacOS

Pertaining to the water, I can’t replicate the bug itself.

Is your MacBook an Apple silicon one? Mine is the 16” M1 Pro.

Macbook air with M1, and it’s actually just as inconsistent. Pretty safe bet we can report it with all the attached information, though I don’t have a workaround as of now.

Ok. Grateful if you do report the bug as hopefully a fix can be done soon.

Going to do more internal research on this side and report everything when it’s done. Thanks for bringing this up! Hope it can be useful locked at 0 for you for now.

Hi!

I’m having an issue with the Water System Plugin on Mac M1 Pro. The water doesn’t seem to have any reflections. When I checked the content browser, I noticed that the water material appears with reflections for a moment and then they disappear.

I tested this on an Intel Mac, and everything appears to be working fine. Has anyone else experienced this issue before? Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it?

Thank you for your time and help!

When you “test” things you need to publish the exe and run it on it’s own to know if the final product will work or not. PIE not working right doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Second, if there is nothing in the scene is kind of hard to tell what should be reflected.

Third, you probably could use screenspace reflections to have the water look like it is reflecting.

Fourth, the screen shot you shared just looks like the water is invisible really. Otherwise, reflections are fine since the halo from the sunlight is on the water material.
If not for the yellow line, one probbaly couldn’t make out where the water ends…
Maybe you have the waves disabled?

The sun must be reflected. Here is an example of exactly the same scene on Mac with Intel:

And this is on Mac with M1:

I’d say the problem is the athmosphere, not the reflection.
You have something like bloom or eye adaptation kicking in diffrent or the athmosphere doesnt work quite right.

Ofc, if the sun disk becomes visible and you don’t get more sparkle, then the water could be at fault too.

It’s definetely a water issue. I repeat the same steps on Intel machine and get different result.

The difference between materials is also visible here:

In “Details” everything is the same.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s a situation where a bug retort is needed.

Prior though, verify engine files on the Mac to make sure it wasn’t just a hiccup during download or an old file…

2 Likes

Ahhh that does seem like a bug, I agree and recommend a report on the matter as well if verification failed.

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I have the same issue on my Mac M1

2 Likes

Hey everyone! After updating Unreal Engine to version 5.2 the reflection issue with water has been fixed.

Thanks to everyone involved for their work!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.