Unreal Engine 5 (5.0.3) always freezes when building texture streaming.

I am using a project with Nanite, Lumen and Virtual Texture Streaming. Some of the assets that I am using do not seem to support Nanite and/or VTS, so I turned it off for them. Now, whenever I am building a level (the only one I have), the editor freezes the moment it comes to building texture streaming, as shown here:

My first suspicion was that my PC is getting too old for this, so I went ahead and checked the task manager, as shown here:

The editor generally takes how much ever memory it wants to (until 97% so far) so surely the RAM isn’t the problem.

I have tried verifying and reinstalling the engine but it didn’t solve anything. I was having various issues with the editor crashing but it seems to be resolved now. Sometimes, the texture streaming pool goes over budget but the error goes away on its own.

This was the error I got when the engine crashed previously: Assertion failed: ActorsByName.Remove(ActorDesc->GetActorName()) [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\WorldPartition\ActorDescList.cpp] [Line: 90]

I resolved it by turning ON world partition and turning it off again.

Only method I can quit the editor after the freeze is to kill it with Task Manager. Any suggestions on how to fix the freezing?

1 Like

Maybe try this

1 Like

I did try that, it didn’t help at all

1 Like

Ah. it’s not that, then… ( 5.03 does sometimes crash building textures without this ).

1 Like

I see. That plugin solved your issue, then?

1 Like

Yes. Why not try 5.1?

1 Like

I have certain plugins that aren’t compatible with 5.1 but I am considering upgrading to it

1 Like

I usually give vendors about a week or so after an upgrade, then I stop using it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

welp, I took your advice and finally upgraded, thank you so much!

(need to check if it works now)

1 Like

Turn on the Ray tracing. Everything will work.

Hello, I have the same issue, Did you find any fix? or cause of the problem?

I just ended up upgrading to the next version. Couldn’t find a fix at all.