Unreal Engine 5.4 Released

Excuse me but what’s with blatant lie here? : https://youtu.be/ltQfA5Wqdik?t=136

Last time I checked, TSR became 1 ms MORE expensive with almost no improvement to its handling of motion and temporal fizzing(becuase it uses too many frames)

Are you telling me preview 4.5’s TSR was that behind and was fixed so quickly? Also, as far as I know software variable refresh shading only increases performance substantially when it becomes so visually unappealingly it needs a temporal solution to fix it, which is exactly against the 121 votes of the 1# feedback thread stands against.

This my two cents until I delete some big projects and gain some space to test the current 5.4
I have not seen any performance improvement, nor is anyone showing any atm nor were the optimization workflows stated in the 1# thread even addressed. Lumen is more expensive, TSR is more expensive, Nanite still can’t even render grass as good as HFW’s deferred texturing and just adds 2.5-3ms of overhead. I cringe every time I hear a developer say they are using these technologies because 90% of their don’t need the software designs being focused on by Epic.

Workflow enhancements like the cloud DDC are things that are greatly appreciated and provide benefits to developers without harming consumer performance.

Also, some people who voted for the thread wanted better scripting performance, so 5.4 might deliver on that so props to at least that concern for users. But IMO the GPU software designs really need to be more appropriate for less FN-ish designs(that is explained in the thread).

2 Likes