UNREAL ENGINE 5.4 EXTREMELY BAD PERFORMANCE

We fixed it in the latest hotfix.

6 Likes

Do you know the Commit that fixed the issue? So that we are able to update our internal build.

1 Like

Itā€™s not better with 5.4.3.

2 Likes

I think the hotfix version will be later than that

Iā€™m looking for a potentially related commit on GitHub, but Iā€™m having trouble finding one.
Could you please give me the History link of the corrected commit?

The latest version, 5.4.3 didnā€™t have the telemetry plugin disabled when I upgraded a 5.3.2 project.

The editor was fine (70fps! I was impressed), but a standalone-game didnā€™t seem to like all the grass:

5.3.2@70fps -> 5.4.3@ 7fps o_O

Disabled the plugin, restarted. Standalone game still tanks. Even Good Olā€™ DLSS couldnā€™t save me only getting me back to 40ishā€¦

EDIT: So I donā€™t know what happened but I took another stab at this. Itā€™s the SAME project Iā€™ve only ever posted from, itā€™s very simple with few things in the level; a consistent test-bed. I typically clone, upgrade in-place and regenerate RVT volumes to test new versions Did that here but it came out all bollocks-up. I had even just-waited 10 min in-game to ensure the engine didnā€™t need to grind-through caching something due to the upgrade; nope. Rebooted, nope.

Anyways, I took another stab at this as I really wanted to test improvements to the Temporal Super Resolution. Straight upgrade as before but itā€™s working now, just ~15ish FPS slower, consistently. Not using Nanite, Virtual Shadow Maps, nor Lumen. Grass density is the same (apples to apples) just changed some settings in the material-instance (tint, etc) to get it to blend better with the landscape.

5.3.2@70fps -> 5.4.3@ 55fps v2

Better but I was expecting better-better as 5.4 touted improvements to the temporal-renderer. Even when I drop screen-percentage down, the expected improvements are less-less, in that they are also less as a percentage of increaseā€¦ So for me, that part just all-got-all-worse.

Waiting to test in 5.5 it seems. 5.4.x is just a no-go given some kicking-the-tires testing.

2 Likes

Does it make any difference if you do not run the editor in fullscreen? There is a related performance issue in 5.4.3 on right-click when editor runs in fullscreen.

1 Like

I always run standalone game.

Shadow Depth cost appears to have increased and looking over the shadow projection shader code it appears to be related. Instanced stereo and mobile multiview are bugged in 5.4 as well. Letā€™s hope they hunt this down as its pretty easy to reproduce.

1 Like

Yes i have face same issue in unreal 5.4 . I have switch 5.3 to 5.4 and i face Extremely very Bad performance . I create one map for android and inside map add only basic cube and third persone character and i run in phone show fps is 10 . This is very bad performance in 5.4 with basic cube

2 Likes

5.4.4 ā†’ same bad performance

2 Likes

5.4 ( and now 5.4.4 ) it is also bad on my side. I donā€™t have any of my own projects, just thought I might start building something. Been using UE5 since 5.1 I believe. With 5.3 I noticed slight drop in performance in editor. With 5.4 thought everything is just sluggish. Saving shaders seams to be taking 5x more time then it used to, and the fps in editor is also bad. Takes several seconds to add mannequin mesh to the scene ( also I had a bug that added mannequin mesh in to the scene, but was not in the inspector and wasnā€™t selectable, and after about a minute ue crashed ). Shadows are also seam to be broken more, with a ton of dither. Whatā€™s going on?

My specs: Lenovo Legion 5i pro, 12700h, rtx 3070ti 170W version, 64gb of ddr5 ram, two 4th gen nvmeā€™s 1TB each , win 11.

I also now a Rokoko representative, and she wasnā€™t able to even ruin 5.3 on her laptop she is using for mocap presentations.

At this point I canā€™t even brace myself for 5.5, and I either roll back to 5.2 cause it worked faster than 5.3, or learn 4.xx ( any recommendations? ), or take even more time learning and go back to raylib with open gl and program all required things myself ( slowly, cause Iā€™m not very technical ). Or maybe learn UENGINE?

Only thing I can suggest for UE devs is to come out and explain who should use what engine, as well as make a list of what tier system can or should run what settings/plugins so we can optimise the editor.

Also, the devs could think of splitting editor in to several components: for a solo/small teams, for big teams, for film makers, for motion graphics animators. And then each component could be downloaded separately, and it would be much easier to maintain/fix bugs. As it is now , it is a frankenweenie.

try this solution guys: UNREAL ENGINE 5.4 EXTREMELY BAD PERFORMANCE - #25 by DesART

Does not fix performance issues. Sill bad performance even with disabled plugin. Shadow depths almos double the frame time if nanite is enabled for whatever reason (did not happen in 5.3) as shown here: UNREAL ENGINE 5.4 EXTREMELY BAD PERFORMANCE - #66 by Neutronux

Iā€™m experiencing the same issues. Iā€™ve tried fixes. They seem to work sometimes. I have had the issue come back after disabling things. This really needs to be addressed by the UE team ASAP.

@TiagoCostaUE @comlys I was getting horrible hard drive grinding noises EVERY time I pushed play in Unreal 5.4.4. I was worried the constant stress would cause drive failure. After I completely disabled the Studio Telemetry plugin, it INSTANTLY fixed the issue! Not only is the drive perfectly quiet, but play-in-Editor sessions now start lightning quick! :smile:

1 Like

Using Unreal with an HDD is like riding a horse to work. You have to be a very patient person. :blush:

2 Likes

There is the straight and highly obvious telemetry plugin issue (which is really bad and makes me wonder if new versions of UE get tested at all, before being released) and then thereā€™s also the problem with more subtle, not so obvious performance loss in 5.4.

The telemetry thing is easy to fix. Just disable the plugin. Whatā€™s it for in the first place though? Why is there a constant ā€œtelemetryā€ stream to wherever? It would be nice to get a word on that.

The other issue is the overall degrading performance with newer versions. I got hit hard by 5.4.4 cutting my performance in half. Itā€™s really strange though, as other members from our dev team werenā€™t affected as heavy as me. But on my PC (heavy rig, with 3090 RTX, endless RAM etc.) it turned a well playable game from around 60 FPS to less that 30. Iā€™ve already spent two days trying to track down whatā€™s going on and simply by knocking out all other factors, I can say that itā€™s caused by the ā€œhot fixā€ 5.4.4, as everything was fine with 5.4.3.

It would be great if Epic could do a little more for stability and performance and not so much focus on introducing ā€œcutting edge high-endā€ features, before the base isnā€™t fully operational.

Just my 5 cents.

5 Likes

Adding a data point to this discussion, hopefully Epic is paying attention.

My own game has a massive performance loss when moving from 5.3.2 to 5.4.4 in packaged builds. The loss isnā€™t noticeable on my desktop PC, but on Steam Deck, Iā€™m seeing performance drop from 80-90 fps all the way down to around 30.

Iā€™ve done some troubleshooting, and one clear issue is that there are two heavy processes visible in Stat GPU which are not present in 5.3. These are:

RayTracingDynamicGeometry - this is eating over 10ms for no reason. Iā€™ve been successful toggling all raytracing features via console command at runtime in 5.3.2, but there seems to be absolutely no way to fully turn this off in 5.4.4, and if your hardware supports Raytracing (as the steam deck inexplicably does) it will kill performance.

SkinnedGeometryUpdateBLAS - This is also eating 3-4ms on Steam Deck, and I have no idea what it is. This doesnā€™t show up under stat gpu in 5.3.2.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve made similar discoverys comparing a mobile build on both engine versions on the Tensor g2

2 Likes