Unreal Engine 5.3 Preview

This aggravated me for a little while; since I forgot how to add a new version myself.
Library > [+] next to Versions → gray box with drop down you can select what you want.

then you can install.

yeah, I have a map I am trying to recreate from 5.2 and the mask is so blown out I couldn’t even recognize it. it’s like 8X what it should be. tried to use a smaller resolution of the image, and it got mad. I’ve tried all the options on the page around the import… UE has plenty of error logs now…

Can someone finally fix this? Best practice by Epic was using normal maps. Best example is metal wavings. Nanite? Anyone? Because scene with Nanite and realistic geometry is sometimes ugly as hell…

I also wrote here about the problem with landscape masks: Unreal Engine 5.3 Preview - #101 by Taras_Mir

Can you help me guys, I dont understand why im not seeing the 5.3 version! When i drop the menu , I dont have the propostion for the 5.3… And when i click on the PLUS button, you can see that i have the 5.1.1 directly add to the right

Somes pictures here

I am still in Ureal Engine 4.27 :neutral_face:

3 Likes

hi @AlexandreAE75 ,
Here is picture click down-arrow

I can use UE5.2 without problems, but this UE5.3 preview doesn’t open in my computer. :S
The engine just freezes at initialization and disappear (but continues non-responding in background).

I don’t know if Fortnite is already using a version of the UE5.3 but the game also started to crash if I enable Nanite (also at initialization if already enabled or instantaneously after enabling the option).

I don’t know if this could be related to a bug in the engine or my GPU being incompatible (it’s a new hardware). UE5.0, UE5.1 and UE5.2 are working fine, without problems. :eyes:

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7600
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600x

hi @lucoiso ,
common problem first you need to download Get Drivers with AMD Auto-Detect and Install Tool | AMD
your DX12 drivers are old and only DX11 drivers will work . Turning on nanite need DX12/SM5 shader support default is SM6 shaders in 5.3 the SM5 was default in previous versions

1 Like

I’m already using the latest version of the driver and I was already using dx12 and sm6 in the previous versions (and still using) :confused:

but i’ll try reinstalling the driver

edit: no difference, still cant open the preview and also fortnite is still crashing if i enable nanite

If you’re looking for the newest clang required to build the source for linux here is the link:
https://cdn.unrealengine.com/CrossToolchain_Linux/v22_clang-16.0.6-centos7.exe

Extra tip:
If you want to build using multiple versions of Unreal (5.1, 5.2, 5.3) but have issues with clang because each require a different version here is the solution I came up with:

Add an environment variable that points towards the correct clang sdk version
Example: for Unreal 5.3 I added “UE_53_SDKS_ROOT”

Then modify the following file:
Engine\Source\Programs\Shared\EpicGames.Build\UEBuildPlatformSDK.cs

Replace Line 947 with the following (changing what’s between quotes with your environment variable"

protected const string SDKRootEnvVar = "UE_53_SDKS_ROOT";

Do the same for the other versions you want to build on your machine and enjoy!

3 Likes

hi @lucoiso ,
My only suggestion is to try my 5.4 binary, just downloads and starts.
This has all driver diagnostics and instead of crashing on PC with unkown graphic cards, it prints a diagnostic message and carries on.
Load the Lumen bug test and try to see if you get shadows. The failing PC had the WRONG drivers loaded and detected the problem

see
Luoshuang’s GPULightmass - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Still terrible foliage nanite performance

So can I start Development of My first Indie game in UE 5.3 preview or should I start in UE 5.2 and then Upgrade to 5.3 when the official Version releases?

New to this kinda stuff so any feedback would be appreciated.

hi @SpecPlayz ,
Uuse 5.3 Preview. The 5.2 is so many bugs I refused to support using it in LGPU. That way if you put a game on Epic Marketplace you need only provide support for UE 5, as you would be able to support three prior versions and not 4.27,5.0.
5.3 is much more stable and by the time you have finished 5.4 will be ready I expect. Anyway 5.2 is :-1::-1::-1: :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Am i going crazy, open up Epic games Launcher and it tells me there’s a new version of UE5 … cool.

I click the plus button in hoping it’d reveal the shiny new 5.3 but instead it produces 5.1?!

I cannot get Epic Games Launcher to load 5.3?

Anyone else had this?

Hi @TLA , open Epic Launcher scroll down to Settings Click to show settings menu if the Update and restart is showing click to update & restart. Then try again 15.12.* is latest as of 6th September 2023

@jon_eg Apologies for the super late reply! My Mac has been unavailable for testing so I needed to work with a friend to run these tests in the meantime. Here’s a comparison of the GPU profiler for 5.2.1 and 5.3 preview on the M2 Max. I noticed some of the profiler data looks odd with those 178,000ms values. I’ll send the log files to you via DM

Am I the only one who noticed unreal is still using the almost depreciated openssl 1.1.1t on 5.3 preview 1? OpenSSL 1.1.1 will be end of life from 11th Sept, 2023. Please, are there any experienced devs or experts still working in epic games? Please spare some devs for openssl instead of nanite. We need a reliable game engine, not a fancy toy.

Nanite does not work in HLODs: https://youtu.be/Um6ApRSnPno