Unreal Engine 5.3 Preview

Download Unreal Engine 5.3 Preview from the Epic Games launcher, GitHub, or for Linux!

Unreal Engine 5.3 continues to refine the workflows and capabilities of its core features, such as Lumen, Nanite, Path Tracing, and beyond. With this release, these rendering features provide more control over performance and yield better-looking results. Users will see reductions in build times with Multi-process Cook, improving the ability to iterate more quickly on projects.

There are also a number of new experimental features, such as Sparse Volume Textures and Volumetric Path Tracing, which introduce new capabilities for volumetric effects such as smoke and fire; a Skeletal Editor for in-engine weight and skinning work; support for Orthographic Rendering that is particularly useful for architecture and manufacturing visualizations and stylistic games projects; and improved cloth tooling with the Panel Cloth Editor and ML Cloth.

For a more complete list of features and updates in Unreal Engine 5.3, visit the Roadmap. The full release notes will be available with the final 5.3 release.

Unreal Engine 5.3 Roadmap

Please be aware that preview releases are not fully quality tested, are still under heavy active development, and should be considered as unstable until the final release. We recommend that developers make a copy of their projects for testing these builds, not to convert their projects.

Known & Fixed Issues

If you discover any additional issues with this preview release, please report them using the guidelines in the link: How to Report a Bug

39 Likes

great now i have 9 unreal engines in my computer #rip

68 Likes

No wonder 4 Tb SSD will be the norm :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Byes to incredibuild? :slight_smile:

Lol, you cerly must have a lot of space there :stuck_out_tongue:

Let me pour another coffee, I’m still learning 5.2. (Vigorously pours whole pot)

12 Likes

Will wait on this one . . .

1 Like

Still on 5.1 :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

are nanite spline meshes working in this release ??

1 Like

For anyone experimenting with the new Orthographic Rendering features (Specifically: Shadows)

I found that you still will not see shadows in the viewport, and must PIE using a pawn with an orthographic camera.

PIE:

EDIT: 5.3.0 HAS BEEN RELEASED, AND THIS HAS BEEN FIXED!

11 Likes

Will there be any documentation on how to use the Sparse Volume Textures with VDBs? I can’t seem to figure it out https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/c/1171-sparse-volume-textures-experimental

5 Likes

But in 5.3 is also included the reading of gdtf files including 3d geometries?

will it be possible to create notifies in control rig? useful for audio and visual effects in procedural animation

1 Like

I was literally going to ask you if you’d be looking into new VDB methods with this update haha

1 Like

Platform Linux is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

F

And also double FF for you stupid bug submission form being broken for how many years.

What is the “Prerequisites” stuff that occurs as soon as launching the engine? Is it automatically checking if the requirements are available and decide to launch it or shut it down accordingly!? I really hoped 5.3 was going to fix those little troubles I had with 5.2.1 like crashes for insufficient virtual memory even despite the upgrade from 16GB to 32GB RAM. I guess my habit to keep up the pace with the evolution of the engine is doomed… is what I feared becoming true? :fearful:

Failed to query the Clang version number!

on the 5.3 branch

I have 64GB RAM + 1TB swap in my rig and UE5 doesn’t care.
It crashes every five minutes.

4.27 is the most stable.
4.27.2 hasn’t crashed for me in two weeks.
And it was up and running for the whole two weeks.

2 Likes

I’m completely fine with 5.1, even with just 16GB, even the crashes where just due to superheavy unoptimized projects and not a big deal. Things changed quite dramatically with crashes even right after launching projects like HillSide and Slay Animation Sample but at least seems stable with my regular basic projects, mostly new retargetting and locomotion system which are the ones I really care and focus on most at the moment. My thought is they are working with such a so ahead approach {JSFilmz showcasing UE5.4 already speaks volume about that} which means UE5.2 won’t have improvements but we’d rather see those improvements actually happening with UE5.3. At least that’s what seemed logical to me before I’ve tried launching it unsuccessfully.

1 Like