Unreal Engine 5.1 - Program Crashes During Packaging

I have just migrated a project I’ve pretty much finished in Unreal Engine 4.27 into Unreal Engine 5.11. I had to fix a few problems I noticed when I opened the project in Unreal Engine 5.11 and the program created a compatible copy, but I managed to get everything working. Or so I thought.

Whenever I package the UE 4.27 version for Windows in that program, it takes minutes for the process to finish. But, every time I try to package the UE 5.11 version for Windows in the Unreal Engine 5.11, not only does the process take hours but the program crashes on me.

This is a serious problem and it is a matter of getting a job. So I would truly appreciate any help anyone can offer to resolve this problem.

A friend on Discord gave me the solution to this problem.

Before you package a program in UE 5.1.1, you must 1) delete all unnecessary folders prior to packaging in the editor. But keep the Config and Content folders, along with Plugins and Source if you have those. Delete these folders before you open the project file.

Also, for those who don’t know and are migrating from 4.27 to 5.1.1, you will have to manually configure the Packaging Settings or some files might be missing. You want to make sure needed files and content are included before you begin packaging. And update the SDK if necessary, too.

1 Like

Hey I’m facing a similar issue. What do you mean by deleting all unnecessary folders ? Intermediate folder ? Binaries ? Or the stuff (in the content folder) that ended up not used in the project ?

Cheers

Again, the only folders you should leave alone are Config, Content, Plugins and Source.