Unreal Engine 4 Training Twitch: Downloads?

Hey. I was watching the “Creating a Twin-Stick Shooter” that was published on Feb 5th, and I would love to be able to download the project for reference if it has been made available to subscribers or public. I’ve not watched the entire presentation so perhaps it is mentioned in there. If it is not available, no problem at all. Just wondering. Thanks.

If you cannot find Epic’s creation this prototype could help you out.

Hi ThermalShock,

This one is definitely planned to be released for via the Launcher on the Learn Tab. There are a few things that need to be cleaned up in the project before it’s ready, but it’ll be out soon! :slight_smile:

Keep an eye out on the learn tab as there are plans for other projects coming soon as well!

Thanks Tim and ENP for the replies.

I really enjoyed the twitch presentation, especially comparing it to the architecture/design that I had been developing myself. Being a noob to UE4, things such as use of GameState, blocking volumes for the NavMesh, the use of timers versus tick, collision handling, etc, was really useful to me.

I would have liked it to touch on the obstacle in the playing field and how it was handled by the current enemy movement calculations, and also use of the NavMesh to control enemy behavior, but still got a lot out it.

For instance, I found that enemies placed into my NavMesh moved just fine, but when spawned they did not move at all for some reason. I also thought NavMesh perhaps was too much overhead for a mobile game, so I’ve been heavily researching things like vector-based navmesh generation, steering algorithms, etc… Also, NavMesh was a little awkward initially since it only works as a ground plane (XY) but my game was constrained to face on (XZ).

Anyway, I’d love to see more presentations that especially demonstrate how various game designs are implemented using UE4’s architecture correctly from the beginning that are proven to yield more reliable performance and room for expansion as a game develops.

I’ve been working to develop a shooter but going solely with unlit Paper2D for mobile to ensure I can achieve maximum performance in the end, but be interested to know what kind of target this demo project can achieve given its current level of effects. Perhaps I’m trying to hard at the beginning of my development to design for maximum performance and within the restrictions of mobile and Paper2D, when the engine is ready for much more on mobile.

Look forward to seeing more game design-based projects to learn from so that getting off to the right start with components and blueprints in building X kind of game is done correctly from the beginning.

Cheers.

We’re always looking for new ideas to explore in the support streams. I actually mentioned this morning to my lead about doing a support stream for mobile development and packaging since this has been brought up a lot more recently. It’s something that will be considered, but I cannot guarantee anything.

I’m also passing along the notes you’ve listed up here in hopes that this can be considered as well for future support streams.

Thanks!