Unreal Engine 4 is available for Win10 UWP app dev now

Original post (8-19-2016):
We are in the same boat. We’ve been using Unity but there is a lot of desire to work with Unreal for our Holographic apps, etc.

I’ve been diving into the DirectX documentation, and UE4 uses DX11 to render as a default on windows, so I know it’s doable. If only the Holograms App source code was public. I’m pretty sure that would help a lot. Then again, I’m not sure if the Holograms App was made with Unity, or with another route.

I’ve learned enough about DirectX to render to swap chains as well as holographic spaces, now I just need to get Unreal to render to a holographic space. I’d like to get some insight from someone who knows a lot about how UE4 rendering gets done. I have been using UE4 for a while now, but I’ve never had to actually change the render pipeline; i’m struggling a little bit on that front.

UPDATE 8-31-2016:
Making some cool progress! Got all the device resources and stuff in my UE4 UWP build, now we need to render the project stuff in the holographic space properly, etc. It’s been tough fitting time for this in-between other projects, but Unreal on the is slowly becoming a reality!

BUILD FAILED
I have these errors during “Packaging project for UWP (x64-64bit)” in UE4Editor 4.12.5:
“Empty or invalid value provided for required attribute Square150x150Logo …”
“Empty or invalid value provided for required attribute Square44x44Logo …”
“Empty or invalid value provided for required attribute Image on partially …”
“Validation error reading XML schema from XDK. The element ‘Properties’ in namespace …”
“Validation error reading XML schema from XDK. The element ‘Application’ …”
“MakePri: error 0x80080204: Appx manifest not found or is invalid. Please ensure well-formed manifest file is present. Or specify an index name with /in switch. …”

Update:
After days I resolve these errors: I put some cpp code in my only BluePrint project, because I think, BP-only projects are not supported in current port version 4.12.5

So has anyone successfully got a 3D game running on an XB1 using this? Don’t have an XB1 at the mo but tempted to pick one up if the UE4 workflow is useable.

Any other hardware restrictions apart from 1GB ram?

I’ve had these errors before. Make sure the visual assets you supply UE4 in (Project Settings => Platforms - UWP) are the correct size.

As for the MakePri error, my builds have been hit or miss on this. I’m not sure what exactly causes it, but it seems to be associated with the AppXManifest. I’d suggest trying a new build on a different machine, if you have the resources available. The issue might resolve itself.

Cheers

Couple of things I would like to point out is that I dont think that 1GB of ram is actually available. I think only 480mb is currently available and that eventually 1GB would be available.

The other thing that I remember seeing is that you should not build for 32bit. 32bit is there for some basic compatibilty but is not being activly developed. It was stated in the presentation you should always build for x64!

The is my conclusion of 2 weeks hard work trying to submit my own x32 and x64 windows UE4 game to Windows Store:

1.Desktop App Converter [Project Centennial] - Failed

2.Desktop Bridge Sign Up Form - Failed

3.UWP in UE4Editor - coded by Microsoft - Succeed:
“MICROSOFT-XBOX-ATG/MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL”
GitHub DOT com/MICROSOFT-XBOX-ATG/MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL
Unreal Engine 4 is available for Win10 UWP app dev now
forums DOT unrealengine DOT com/showthread.php?118375-Unreal-Engine-4-is-available-for-Win10-UWP-app-dev-now

Using the third way I managed successfully to convert to UWP64,UWP32 and submit with correct validation in Windows Store

Aaaaaaand I’m back. I have my own now, so I’ve been diving into it. Was considering into looking at adding Holograph integration to MonoGame (formerly XNA) first, but figured Unreal Engine 4 would make a bigger splash. Also love Epic, and they have a lot of awesome people working there. Here is the FB thread about the current status of MonoGame integration, which can offer some insight as to what needs to be added for UE4 as well.

So what’s the latest in terms of UWP support and ? Can anyone give me a quick rundown, so that we are all on the same page, not doubling our efforts, and I can go back to the UWP team working on this to relay some messages?

In terms of integrating Holographic space into middleware, there is a page on there here.

In short, it is done with DirectX and requires:

1 Set up the holographic space
2 Subscribe to camera events, create and remove camera resources
3 Create a frame of reference for your holographic content
4 Respond to locatability changed events

Correct. Nee to build for x64 for Xbox one. You also do not have access to the full 1Gb of RAM as a UWP app. That is reserved for the exclusive partition, which I believe you will have access to via the ID@Xbox program.

Hi! Nice to hear someone else is diving into the Unreal pipeline!

I’m currently working on a plugin that will allow Holographic development. I know how to render to a holographic space in a C++/DirectX11 project, however I wasn’t too familiar with Unreal rendering until recently. I’m still far from the level of understanding I’d like. Before starting the plugin development, I was trying to render a simple shape in a holographic space, but you can’t create a swap chain after creating a holographic space, or vice versa.

From MSDN on calling HolographicSpace.createForCoreWindow:

“Calling this method permanently assigns the CoreApplicationView to be holographic. You may no longer call IDXGIFactory2::CreateSwapChainForCoreWindow after calling this method, or vice versa.”

So since I didn’t really understand how Unreal was rendering or where the SwapChain was being created, all I got out of those attempts were a strangely behaving application that goes inactive as soon as you make it active.

Hence the plugin development route. Virtual Reality HMD’s render to their face-space, so it should be possible to do the same with the HL. I am using the Virtual Reality plugins (GearVR, GoogleVR, Oculus, etc.) as a guideline for rendering to a head mounted display.

Hope this helps you a bit in your endeavors! I’m hoping to have something real to show off by the end of this week. Perhaps that is a little optimistic, but a little optimism can go a long way.

Cheers,

Error when upload appx files

This package uses a display name that you have not reserved: 61554.TheLastDefender

I’m feeling a morbid urge to try adding support for ARM and get this running on a Windows Phone.

Is using Windows 10 a must? I have Windows 8.1 and I wish to continue using it…

so its not supporting windows phone 10?!

Sorry, problem solved.

I have managed to get rid of most of the errors… I believe this is the last one and I haven’t seen anyone facing a similar one. At the end of the cooking phase, it complains about not being able to find ‘resources.pri’:

Any ideas?

Question: Based on what I read so far, does the UE4 support 3d scenes being displayed say on a table surface? Does it only support 2d? (I can’t know cuz I’m still waiting for my to arrive). If the answer is no, does Unity 5.4 support it?

Note: I"m using windows 8.1

If UE4 can be made to work on i will order one swiftly

Will this be integrated into the unreal engine main branch?

Correct, Windows 10 is required to build a UWP project, as Visual Studio needs the Win 10 SDK, and some parts of that are built natively into the OS itself.

This is something I’d like to bring up with Epic when the time is right. I’d love to see it integrated as a native export feature, just like the other platforms. I suppose the question (for either community, and the community) is: Who maintains it?

I have images of the correct size, but am still getting the image errors from the appx thing. Any other gotchas?