Unreal Engine 4, etc.

[= Ellis;7433]
Does UE4 support DX9? What about ?

UE4 does not currently support DX9 or . We plan to use OpenGL to run on in the future. Most of our features are supported on OpenGL3 as you can see on Mac OSX today and we have been working with NVIDIA to support our full feature set on OpenGL4.

** Will UE4 support DX12?**

Yes. Epic will be working closely with NVIDIA and Microsoft to create a world-class implementation of DX12 in Unreal Engine 4.
[/]

Official response - No support yet, no DirectX9 (Ever). OpenGL4 in the works.

Having to support old systems is very restricting on developers, and DX11 has been around long enough that it is a reasonable standard. Some games released don’t need new features, which is why they work on XP and DirectX 9, but you can bet those developers would like to move to more modern systems and have a bit more freedom.

[=Ballowers100;7805]
Sigh.

Not every PC gamer in this world has Steam you know there are 600 million PC gamers world wide with a total of only 285 million PC gamers having high end PC’s. No I don’t think Nintendo Gameboy should be supported or DirectX to DirectX 9.0b in Unreal Engine 4.
[/]

So how exactly do you count this number? (600 million PC gamers) Was it something like census or what?Man ,this is very redicilous ,please don’t provide such funny information which of course can’t be counted in real life…come back to Earth…

[=Ballowers100;7830]
Dude can you read? I said I have 5 PC’s. My main PC has 7 installed and has a graphic card that supports DirectX 11.

I said I have added support for 64-bit only and DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and DirectX 11 support to a video game I developed. I have only tessellation and image based reflections added. I will add more as time passes by but it’s going slow for me because I work 9 hours a day 5 days a week and hang out with my family most of the day. I will not be adding DirectX 11.1, DirectX 11.2, and DirectX 12 support until probably like 2020 because I am 1 person working by my self which is a bigger challenge than 300 video game engine developers working for x days a week for x amount of hours a week.
[/]

No I can’t read that’s why I’m responding to you here. I’m not talking about your main PC I’m talking about your XP system which you said had a dual core, 1gb of ram and 512mb gpu.

You aren’t pushing graphics tech and thats fine but it can’t and shouldn’t remain stagnant supporting out dated software either because you want to support it or have no use for it.

[=Ballowers]

I know Steam sells a lot of PC versions of video games. But there is this AAA video game development company CD Projekt RED who will release the PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free physical boxed version to brick and mortar retailer stores world wide it will have no Steam, Steam Works and a 100% Digital Rights Management (DRM) free version on gog.com as well as a Steam version sold specifically on Steam using Steam Works.

Metro: Last Light ran on last gen console but it the PC version of Metro: Last Light looks way better than any PC version of a video game that got released for sale in 2013 even better than the PC version of Battlefield 4. If I upgrade my old XP PC to have 8GB of DDR3 RAM,a Nvidia GTX 780, and a 8 core Intel processor I will be able to run the PC version of Metro: Last Light on my XP on DirectX 9 at max settings and I will be able to run it on max settings on my 7 PC. So I don’t know what you are trying to say.
[/]

CD Projekt is an exception rather than the rule. There’s a few others as well but the overwhelming majority are linked to some form of online store (excluding indies). Be it Origin, Uplay, Steam whatever.

My point is it ran on last gen console hardware which is 32-bit and used dx9 (360 at least) and is fairly low spec compared to hardware available today. Adding support to it isn’t as hard as developing for the new gen of console hardware and backwards supporting it. Even as a PC Gamer you should understand its a new generation of consoles that kickstarts an up take in some form of tech be it spangly new engine features, rendering, whatever and sets the baseline for new hardware spec even if the PC tears away mid-way through the cycle.

You aren’t getting all the bells and whistles on dx9 whether you run it at max settings or not.

You’ve also still not linked to an article that shows XP usage among gamers. Gamers your target demographic. Not businesses.

[=Korben;7946]
So how exactly do you count this number? (600 million PC gamers) Was it something like census or what?Man ,this is very redicilous ,please don’t provide such funny information which of course can’t be counted in real life…come back to Earth…
[/]
Here you go.

http://www.pcgamer.c…ill-profitable/

[=Ballowers100;7994]
Here you go.

http://www.pcgamer.c…ill-profitable/
[/]

…fail link.

[=Zeblote;8020]
…fail link.
[/]
How is it fail?

[=Ballowers100;8026]
How is it fail?
[/]

Invalid link, like it doesn’t work.

Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.pcgamer.c…ill-profitable

Seriously, it would be to your advantage if you start your project whatever it is right now instead of this thread, and wait to see what Epic has for us in the future. If not, then meh…you are the one wasting time and XP is getting older as you do so. :slight_smile:

On 1. I heard you can run UE4 on XP by using OpenGL renderer, you need to start editor with -opengl or -opengl4. You won’t install VS2013 on XP thru

[=;8030]
Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.pcgamer.c…ill-profitable

Seriously, it would be to your advantage if you start your project whatever it is right now instead of this thread, and wait to see what Epic has for us in the future. If not, then meh…you are the one wasting time and XP is getting older as you do so. :slight_smile:
[/]
Try Mozilla Firefox?

I am not gonna miss out I am going to purchase Unreal Engine 4 someday in Winter of 2014 or 2015. Just not right now because $19 dollars (USD) is a lot of money for me right now since I pay $15 dollars (USD) a month for 3 separate World of Warcraft accounts that’s $45 dollars (USD) a month. I also pay $15 dollars (USD) a month for 3 separate EVE Online accounts which is another $45 dollars (USD) a month.

I also purchase more than 2 copies of PC versions of video games to gift to my family members and real life friends for their birthdays, Easter, and Christmas.

I am thinking of paying $19 dollars (USD) for 1 month each year for Unreal Engine 4.

[=Ballowers100;8036]
Try Mozilla Firefox?

[/]

It’s not the browser, the link isn’t functional because it can’t be resolved to anything. You copied a truncated version of the URL, it is literally telling the browser to look up “pcgamer.c…ill-profitable” which is not valid. .c is not the proper domain and half of the path is missing.

[=MuchToLearn;8040]
It’s not the browser, the link isn’t functional because it can’t be resolved to anything. You copied a truncated version of the URL, it is literally telling the browser to look up “pcgamer.c…ill-profitable” which is not valid. .c is not the proper domain and half of the path is missing.
[/]
Report: Global PC games market bigger, free-to-play still profitable | PC Gamer. Does it work now?

Just to let know this pcgamer.com article only says 285 million PC gamers world wide have high end PC’s. The 600 million PC gamers world wide is from Nvidia I found somewhere months ago and I don’t remember where.

“high end PC’s” is extremely vague, not to mention they said it’s just an estimate. It’s extremely difficult to try and say how many people are PC gamers, there’s not really any way to classify it.

[=;8053]
“high end PC’s” is extremely vague, not to mention they said it’s just an estimate. It’s extremely difficult to try and say how many people are PC gamers, there’s not really any way to classify it.
[/]

This doesn’t give a for-sure answer, but hits on some great points when trying to determine the number of PC gamers.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2009/03/03/just-how-many-pc-gamers-are-there

[=Ballowers100;8036]
Try Mozilla Firefox?

I am not gonna miss out I am going to purchase Unreal Engine 4 someday in Winter of 2014 or 2015. Just not right now because $19 dollars (USD) is a lot of money for me right now since I pay $15 dollars (USD) a month for 3 separate World of Warcraft accounts that’s $45 dollars (USD) a month. I also pay $15 dollars (USD) a month for 3 separate EVE Online accounts which is another $45 dollars (USD) a month.

I also purchase more than 2 copies of PC versions of video games to gift to my family members and real life friends for their birthdays, Easter, and Christmas.

I am thinking of paying $19 dollars (USD) for 1 month each year for Unreal Engine 4.
[/]

Wait. You don’t even have engine, and you complain about lack of “features”. Moreover you spend about 100$/mo for games and you can’t afford engine ?

Not sure if troll…

[=Ballowers100;8036]
Try Mozilla Firefox?

[/]

So $19 a month is expensive yet you spend $90 a month on subs to MMO’s and are upgrading your PC/s as well? How do you find the time to dev is you’re spending your time playing those, working a 9 to 5 and hanging out with your family.

You could just as easily drop one of those subs and skip a coffee/mcdonalds/whatever and boom done UE4 sub paid for. You can’t blame epic for your reluctance to drop something.

Regarding the link you posted. It says nothing about 600 million pc gamers or OS statistics(which you still haven’t linked). It does say an estimated 285 million high end pc gamers but if you follow it through to the GI.biz article it states:
“DFC estimates the addressable market for high-end gamers outside of Asia to be 285 million people. That is the target market for both PC and console gamers who overlap heavily.”

High-end is fairly vague as well my interpretation of that will probably be very different to what they assume.

[=;8066]
Wait. You don’t even have engine, and you complain about lack of “features”. Moreover you spend about 100$/mo for games and you can’t afford engine ?

Not sure if troll…
[/]
I think I mentioned when I started this topic that I did not purchase a monthly subscription for Unreal Engine 4 yet. Did I not? Because I am doing my own stuff I am way to busy. Family, Job, and Developing my own video game engine and video games for my self.

[=Ballowers100;8036]
Try Mozilla Firefox?

[/]

You are lucky to have to pay ONLY 19$/m to have commercial class access to a engine that is used by big developers with full access to it include source code and even John Carmack does not give away his engine code like that. UDK is nothing compare it to it in fact it UDK feels like prison to me. I think it’s is beast of a offer that changes the game on engine market and as you aware of that you dont really need to pay this monthly

[=Ballowers100;8068]
I think I mentioned when I started this topic that I did not purchase a monthly subscription for Unreal Engine 4 yet. Did I not? Because I am doing my own stuff I am way to busy. Family, Job, and Developing my own video game engine and video games for my self.
[/]

So to sum this whole 6-page thread up then, you’re complaining about a product that you have no intent on using, you’re not a customer or even consumer of the product, and yet you’re trying to sway the product developer’s into providing extended life-support for a feature so that you can do what with it exactly?

I’ve never coded software/hardware drivers, and I sure as hell haven’t tried to develop a game engine as I understand that my knowledge of mathematics and physics isn’t sufficient enough to try and portray in a virtual reality environment - but, if I’m not mistaken, since UE4 has the full source code released - with you and your infinite knowledge, or so it seems, could you not just write a DirectX9 compatible driver for UE4 and fix the issue yourself? Since you’re creating your own game engine I’m sure you have vast amounts of knowledge on how to do this.

I mean, seems like the most legit solution to me, and definitely beats the squabbling and clammering about to try and justify archaic technology support.