Unreal Engine 4 C++ Tutorial Series For Beginners

You’re welcome. Keep these videos coming.

Well have you tried Fraps for video recording?

I know that you’re able to set default values to variables in your .h file but it was unusual for me to see it so I had to ask why because I always did it in my constructor or in the .cpp files.

Also from your example:

#include "DefDec.h"
#include "MyActor2.h"

DEFINE_LOG_CATEGORY(MyLog2);

AMyActor2::AMyActor2()
    : **MyInt32(1)**
{
    PrimaryActorTick.bCanEverTick = false;
}

void AMyActor2::BeginPlay()
{
    Super::BeginPlay();
    MyFunction(MyInt32);
}

void AMyActor2::MyFunction(int32 MyParam)
{
    UE_LOG(MyLog2, Warning, TEXT("MyInt32 is %d"), MyParam);
}

Why aren’t you setting your variable default values like this:

#include "DefDec.h"
#include "MyActor2.h"

DEFINE_LOG_CATEGORY(MyLog2);

AMyActor2::AMyActor2()

{
    PrimaryActorTick.bCanEverTick = false;
    **MyInt32 = 1;**
}

void AMyActor2::BeginPlay()
{
    Super::BeginPlay();
    MyFunction(MyInt32);
}

void AMyActor2::MyFunction(int32 MyParam)
{
    UE_LOG(MyLog2, Warning, TEXT("MyInt32 is %d"), MyParam);
}

Ah i see what you mean now, all three are perfectly valid approaches. initializing in the header is from backwards compatible C, then C++ added the constructor initializing what you are used to, and now C++11 added the uniform initialization “int32 MyInt32{1};”

It’s all personal preference, my day job requires me to do all initializing in header files.

Just a recommendation: Camtasia studio works GREAT! It’s paid, but it’s produces great quality videos with an easy to use interface for recording.

I’ll have to try it out, I’m dedicated to high quality videos, if it means paying for screen capture then so be it! Thanks for the recommendation !

Dear Saxon Rah,

Sorry to hear about your brother, I hope you are okay!

:heart:

Rama

thank you very much for your time and the effort you put into these videos

I am so sorry to hear of this man, take you’re time and I’m sure the whole community would be here if you ever need any of us. My thoughts are with you and your family

Did you try OBS (open broadcaster software), it is usually for streaming online, but you can local recording too, if you have a Nvidia card 600 series or newer, you can record the screen with Nvidia geforce experience -> Shadowplay

Wow, the community has been really really awesome during a time of need. I wish I could have said the same for some of the people I interact with on a day to day. This means so much to me. Thank you all for your kindness and support. This makes me want to make these tutorials even more and even better ! Thank you again, for showing me that all is not lost. <3

I have a question for you all, What do you prefer: Shorter 5-10 min videos on a specific topic like a video for each data type? Or would you rather prefer a longer 15-25 min video on several data types? The data type is just an example topic. I have been doing allot of research and it seems shorter videos do in fact do better for YouTube, but the longer videos are really nice in my own honest opinion. I’ll do whatever the community wants.

I will have to check it out again Ikifenix! Thanks! I did use OBS at one point but i have since forgotten about that software!

I did manage to download the trial Camtasia, so currently im checking it out and seeing if its any good.

I don’t have an nvidia card, but i do have a R9-270x I’ve heard a rumor there is card recording on the r9’s but i’ve never seen anything about it.

@
Becase setting it this way:
ClassName::ClassName():class_var_(val)
{
}
is more efficient than the way suggested by you. I let you find out for yourself why and how does that happen.
Anyway, with C++11 one can always set default value in class declaration:
class ClassName
{
int class_var_ = 1;
};

I find longer videos to be trickier to “scroll” through. That’s why I prefer written tutorials for certain (but not all) parts of the editor. Having a single topic would also make for a more clear video title, making it easier for people to find what they need.

For amd you can record with AMD Gaming Evolved Client
http://www.amd.com/en-us/markets/game/downloads/raptr

Thank you. I’ll definitely look into that.

I like long videos, short videos are usually very specific and “too perfect”, they usually show “magic numbers” without say from where they come. For example in photoshop tutorials, shorts videos usually say “make a mask/use this effect/use this colour, etc… with the values XXX,YYY,ZZZ” and you don’t know why those values and not others, in long videos you usually see the guy moving sliders, testing different stuff and choosing the right one.

For me, the way you are doing the videos is perfect.

I’m sorry to hear of your loss Saxon, we all appreciate what you’re doing for the community!

Thank you for making this series!

I think 5-10 minutes videos is better for small topics, one small vid for one small topic is good when i forget something, search -> pick up the video i need and gg :slight_smile:

Medium videos like 20/25 minutes are good for “merge” two/three topics in a context where you use it together, for example i like the style of Zak Parrish video on UE official channel.

About your loss, never give up and keep yourself careful :slight_smile:

I think it work only with games, i’m using it with an R9 290 and work fine with game but i think is not easier “tweak” it to record an application like VS or UE :confused:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone from youtube, facebook and the forums!
I’m super excited!!! Open broadcast software with AMD’s VCE is amazing <3

For me one of the most important things for a tutorial that is sadly often missed is the why. So as long as you explain why you are doing it the way you are doing it, the length isn’t so important for me.

Thanks for the Videos so far. Please keep them coming :slight_smile:

This is something I myself hate about tutorials published by the majority of people in any medium and a huge problem with the tutorials i have recorded myself. Which is why I have written about 40 pages currently of the why to do certain things. <3

@SaxonRah

Love the quality of your “Unreal Engine 4 C++ Tutorial Series For Beginners : Quick Update 2”. Thank you for improving that! I’ll definitely watch this series although it’s way to beginner for me but you never know what details you might learn or what I missed or just forgot :-). Thank you for making this series and I’m sure that they’ll help a lot of people here.