I’ve finally managed to get into Unreal Engine 4 over the past week and I’ve a number of queries I’m hoping you can help with… the list was longer so it does show I’m learning!
- For complex objects what is the best way to set up collision detection? – I have used the ‘Complex collision detection’ setting under the static mesh settings, is that a very expensive way to calculate collision?.. it seems to work at least.
- How to I set up the geographic location & time of day?
- How do I speed up the arch-vis camera walking pace?
- How do I apply foliage/trees to imported meshes/imported planes? – similar to Forest Pack Pro/multiscatter workflows
- If I’ve applied a transparent texture (glass/water) to a mesh can I select that object with the cursor in lit mode? – just a minor annoyance, I know I can select the object in the world outliner or change view to wireframe and the select mesh
- Regarding normals, am I right in saying all normals have to face the correct way or the mesh is not shown? – is there a tip so that I don’t have this issue?
- I UV mapped everything in 3ds with simple box mapping, in UE4 I’ve been using materials from the open world demo but I always have to change the UV texture coordinate settings to get the right scale, should the UDK texture scale be correct?, any tips/settings for UV mapping in 3ds so I don’t have to change the UV tiling in UE4?
- Following on from the above, if I go into some of the more complex UE4 material nodes and try to alter the tiling size of textures I find a number of different ‘TexCoord’ nodes, such as ‘Large scale tiling’ - ‘macro texture variation’ - ‘Base color Texture samples’ - ‘micro texture variation’ – do I need to alter all the ‘TexCoord’ nodes?, how do I know which node is the correct one?
- Regarding light build issues, what are the essential things I can alter for a better result?
- Is it possible to rotate/scale a large number of objects randomly?
- Finally, any essential scripts/tips?, specifically 3ds related. – I’m currently using TS Tools for exporting my FBXs and also one called ‘UVW AutoUnwrap which automatically unwraps for light UVs to channel 2.
- Are there any animated people/figures for UE4? – or do you just export them from 3ds ?
- Should the ‘post process volume’ and the ‘lightmassomportancevolume’ encompass the entire scene – I’m currently working on an exterior scene, it has a focal point/area and there is a lot of context into the distance. – Also, if you increase the size of those volume do you also have to increase other settings to match it?
Appreciate any answers to my many queries, I’m picking up stuff every day so no doubt I’ll find a few answers of my own.