Unreal Engine 4 and Linux

I would not rely on the Editor in Linux for learning UE because it is not as stable as Windows one. On that note I did not find Windows version unstable, perhaps you have some other issues in the OS, like drivers?

The libfbxsdk issue has been resolved yesterday, or the day before, if I recall correctly.

Shader compiling/conversion takes A LONG TIME. I have a dual processor (16 cores altogether) workstation, and it takes several minutes for default 2,400 shaders. If you want to load Elemental Demo, that’s another 9,700 shaders in OpenGL3, or whopping 16,000 in OpenGL4 (about 17 minutes for me).

Depending what system you have, it could take hour(s) to compile shaders for some projects…that’s just the nature of system (HLSL->GLSL).

Any progress on this ? Because I really hate my windows partition.

Compared to June, there have been a lot of changes. Feel free to check it out and see for yourself - the more the Linux editor gets used, the better it gets.

Thanks I will do it

The UE4 editor seems to be hard coded to QWERTY - this is broken. IMO the correct approach is to use this approach for everything except text entry, text entry should take account of the keyboard layout that the user has selected.

Hi,

I got this error trying to build on Linux:

It’s so fast, that I guess it’s not “SUCCESS” despite what is printed.
Does anyone have an idea of what’s wrong and how I could solve it ?

Thanks

Hazarding a guess, missing some of the dependencies. A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums any use for you? And what distro are you using? Some (like Arch) are known to be problematic.

i don’t understand …

are you saying that UE4 is available on linux right now ??

Compile it yourself and it is.

Is there a manual about how to compile UE4 on Linux? I am not even much interested in running Editor, just the final app would be fine (a sample game, etc.).

Is there cmake or something of that nature to make process simple?

What’s not working currently in Linux builds compare to Windows builds?

Thanks.

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums might be what you are looking for?

cool ! i wasn’t aware of that

We develop and test on Ubuntu only (using unity and KDE). That said, we are taking patches that make the engine work (including install, etc) better on other distros.

Thanks! Didn’t know Linux stuff would be deployed on Windows :slight_smile:

I’m running on Linux Mint Maya (not so distinct from Ubuntu I think).
There were some missing dependencies, but the script asked for my password to install them, so I quit and installed them manually (from the list in the wiki).
After that the script didn’t ask again so I guess I have them all now.

works perfectly on debian jessie

Guys, what IDE are you using with UE4 on linux?

For me the compilation works nicely, no problem at all. I’m running Linux Mint 17 and I have used Clang 3.5. However, the loading of the editor is awfully slow and kind of freeze my computer. If I wait several minutes (and I can’t barely move the mouse while I wait) it eventually opens but it’s not usable for me. Am I the only one here experiencing that?

Hello everyone, my name is Viktor and I want to thank you for this thread and for WIKI A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums .
I succesfully build Unreal Engine 4.7.4 on Kubuntu 14.10 without any problems (only had to run ./Setup.sh twice) and almost (there is no starter content) everything is working as expected. I have small redraw issues but I can live with it.
Person who wrote WIKI should get raise and free Tacos for rest of his/her life, everything is described very clearly and it works.
So again, thank you :slight_smile:

Hey morph208-

It will be easier for us to track and investigate your issue with the editor loading slow if you create a post on the AnswerHub where we can assign the issue to a member of the support team. Be sure to let us know here once you have created the post. Additionally, prior to creating the AnswerHub post, install hardinfo and include the info from that to help us see if your issue could be hardware related.

Cheers