Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

Thanks team!

I’m enthusiastic that at least VS2015 and DX12 are experimental and can be enabled. I don’t need to code (yet), but I do need to build engine for MMORPG kit. Quick question about new “ArchViz” Player controller… if using controller in a VR environment, how well does that work?

I didn’t see a note about Oculus SDK being updated to 0.7; is this in or did it not make cutoff?

Hopefully, with 4.10 we’ll see Oculus SDK 1.0, official Win10 support, official DX12 support, and official VS2015 support. Oh, and a VR camera controller please, as that has been backlogged for quite some time now :wink:

[= ;368593]
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure he was joking about having to scroll through all notes.
[/]

Haha Brilliant, poor aha

[=Doublezer0;368749]
Great Update!

There is no mention of Spline Component updates. Particularly no mention of fact you cannot edit Spline Points if you create Spline Component and Points in C++ for use in construction script. Once created points turn pink and cannot be selected.

I submit an answerhub for this https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/288712/splinecomponents-in-49r4-are-not-editable-when-cre.html

This is a pretty crazy problem for my project which needs to stay up to date for marketplace. I have discussed with others who say this is detrimental to certain procedural generation techniques too.
[/]

Hey Doublezer0,

I’ve moved post you linked into Bug Reports section of AnswerHub, and assigned it to a member of our staff. If they need any further information, they’ll post there. Keep in mind for future that if you’re reporting a bug, Bug Reports section is place to put it to ensure we see it. Thanks!

Thanks . A friend of mine wrote a bug report but at time it didn’t seem like place to put it as documentation stated it was by design.

It says to use VS 2015, I specify -2015 to command line. thing is, I don’t know what tool to use? I downloaded UE through launcher. There’s no right click option, no obvious way to configure project generation to use VS2015…

Hi,
Thanks for update to Substance Plugin! I picked up 4.9 version of plugin this afternoon.

Upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9, getting huge Map Check errors with my old 4.8 projects, why?

fantastic! that archviz character came just in time for me… Great job

[=;368517]
I usually transition like nothing even happened, but I wasn’t one to pay much attention to documentation anyways.
[/]

Unfortunately we far too often have to not pay attention to documentation, because it’s not there. :wink:

Just concerned about what numerous things I might miss now… oh well.

" previously required boilerplate code can now be removed, but should still work."

Anyone know what this means?

I like what I am seeing. Especially with lighting/shadowing. Hopefully I can play with it soon. Dealing with a tempramental Videocard atm -_-

“LocalizationTargetTypes.h(25): error C2146: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before identifier ‘FString’” (+ a bunch more errors in same file)

huh…

After one hour reading update notes I gave up; list too loooonng!!1!11!

Is it jsut me or does Check box umg widget not work anymore? Pressing on it an nothing happends.

Update
Did some testing on this, Seem that Slider and Check Box don’t work on mobile devices anymore. Posted on answerhub

[= Ellis;368551]
I haven’t encountered a problem using scroll wheel in 4.9. Can you please log a Bug Report on AnswerHub with additional information and repro steps?

Thanks
[/]

LOL… I’m pretty sure he was just being funny, meaning his scroll wheel is broken from reading release notes.

My foliage LODs now pop sharply in and out rather than dither fade that was there before. Is there some switch I have to toggle?

Edit: Found switch in material!

Is it just me or is Lightmapping significantly faster in 4.9.0.

through entire thing and things I care about most is multiple return nodes and getting default values for things, and I’m an artist lol

Modulated shadow via stationaryLight VS Dynamic shadow via movableLight,which is cheaper on mobile and by how much?
EDIT:After I build lighting and package for to iphone6 plus, modulated shadow on looks dirty with low resolution and my movable actors looks flickering even if I increase landscape lighting resolution,also,I have found that, fps has been cut down due to this modulated shadow… dynamic shadow with movable light have a much higher fps…So strange…

And now I cannot PIE in ES2(feature level),if I play in editor and press exit or escape key, editor crashes immediately…

New: Supported added for ES3.1 builds. These can be built at same time as ES2.0 builds of an application…
What does this mean?Can I directly build ES3.1 without compiling github version?Thanks!