Unreal Engine 4.7 Preview

[=Wanderer_eternal;194377]
No UMG improvements :frowning: I was expecting a about binding input nodes directly to UMG buttons and also more mobile improvement. Guess mobile gaming is still not their thing yet.
[/]

is only first of multiple preview releases, each preview will have more features added. It is likely work being done has not progressed far enough to be included yet, but UMG is a high priority so I would not be surprised to see additional updates by 4.7 is actually released. :slight_smile:

Christmas came unusually early year! Great to be able to test stuff earlier.

And Im already toying around for days with 4.8 from branch :slight_smile:

Great new features! But i would LOVE you guys IF you was to put simple dynamic lighting to spotlights in mobile. Unity does it, so why canā€™t u guys give us option to switch to dynamic lighting for spotlights on mobile? i know you guys are working on it, i just want it to come sooner just for spotlights atleast. That would help me ALOT!

[=;194383]
is only first of multiple preview releases, each preview will have more features added. It is likely work being done has not progressed far enough to be included yet, but UMG is a high priority so I would not be surprised to see additional updates by 4.7 is actually released. :slight_smile:
[/]

I hope then :slight_smile:

TAN_, your opinion matters :slight_smile:

motivation behind switching our process is making our releases more stable. We want 4.7 to be as stable as say 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 (if we have one). As someone who values stability you will hopefully have a better experience with 4.x.0 releases going forward.

Our plan is to have weekly updates of in-flight build for early adopters. We wonā€™t drive development team towards a release date per se, but rather work with community on making sure crashes and regressions are fixed before first official release. So we wouldnā€™t release 4.7 before known blockers in 4.7.preview.x are fixed.

is not for , but looking at our stats a significant enough percentage of people value previews that having them more often allows us to work with people directly to improve quality. In my ideal world weā€™d publish nightlies like Chrome and Firefox, but we arenā€™t there yet from a release quality point of view and process should be a good starting point / balance for people that would like early access and want to work with us on improving product and participating in development.

In short, for folks like yourself I would suggest holding out for official release and hopefully you will see an increase in quality and stability due to our collaboration with community members that like to live on bleeding edge.

[=TAN_;194332]
I donā€™t know if my opinions matter butā€¦

I think that is a terrible idea.

So even just jumping to a new stable version ( 4.5-> 4.6) there are tons of stuffs that I need to deal with so that I can bring up to speed my workflow.

So now I have to go through same process 2-5 times ?!?

No. Just no.

Just give me my stable 4.7 when you believe it is ready to give to community.
Then we talk about bugs, issues and whatnots.

Sorry but I felt I had to say . is not a good idea.
[/]

[=Terrian;194325]

runs ~2fps in 4.6 and ~35fps in 4.7 (HD6970 2GB).

[/]

! Finally some foliage improvements :smiley:

I would love to see blueprint components where you could adjust componentā€™s rotation by a single degree instead of current minimum of 5 degrees.

Just to give you guys an early heads up, we are planning to no longer officially support Visual 2012 compiler in Unreal Engine 4.7. So if youā€™re using 2012 version for some reason, please plan on switching over to Visual 2013. Remember, you can use free community version if you want to.

Also, early next year weā€™ll be working on adding support for Visual 2015 (which is currently in Preview testing.)

Even though we arenā€™t officially supporting or testing Visual 2012 on Windows anymore, you should still be able to get engine and editor compiling on that platform fairly easily in 4.7 if you need to, but in versions beyond that it may become more difficult. Weā€™ll of course continue to support 2012 compiler on Xbox One platform which requires that version of compiler.

ā€“

[=Demolition Man;194410]
I would love to see blueprint components where you could adjust componentā€™s rotation by a single degree instead of current minimum of 5 degrees.
[/]

You can already change that to your liking in Editor Preferences > Viewports > Grid Snapping.

[=;194415]
You can already change that to your liking in Editor Preferences > Viewports > Grid Snapping.
[/]

or just tick that icon thatā€™s right next to where you chose degree minimum in editor.

foliage update is a massive improvement to FPS!

Question: DLC support is marked on trello to December, will also come on 4.7 or weā€™ll get it just on 4.8? :smiley:

[= ;194188]

• Can now change Blueprint variable types without removing instances of node from Blueprint

[/]

Oh my god thank you!

I was hoping for change. It was quite ridiculous changing a variable in a large BP.

Iā€™m already super happy. Even though I hoped as well for a bit umg but hey. :slight_smile:

[]
Oculus Rift support is updated to 0.4.4 runtimes
[/]

Does preview build also include mobile SDK so we can get started on Gear VR development?

On my foliage (trees) heavy map I actually went from 50-60 fps down to 20-30 fps. It seems that instancing doesnā€™t work nor LOD meshes.

Sad to see that thereā€™s still no mention of particle collision bug, root motion scaling or phat scaling.

HIGHLY excited for ability to change type of existing variables and improvements to BP editor/compile times. I swear my Character BP is molasses, and speed improvements from 4.5 to 4.6 were a really welcome change.

Itā€™s funny, UE makes a big deal about rolling out new features in a way that sometimes frustrates people who are more interested in improving stability and speed of existing stuff, but I find that Iā€™m waiting endlessly for features but grateful for speed and stability improvements

Thanks Epic! I think move is brilliant. idea will help deal with problems before official releases other than waiting for hotfixes old way :wink:

[]
runs ~2fps in 4.6 and ~35fps in 4.7 (HD6970 2GB).
[/]

Thanks Epic for great work.

No vegetation shader?