Unreal Engine 4.5 Preview!

[=Ben Marsh;158766]
I’ll see if I can track down what might be going wrong here and get it fixed before the final 4.5 release.

It looks like someone’s made an assumption that there’s a target name matching your project name, which isn’t true in your case because you based your project on ShooterGame. In the meantime, you might be able to work around it by renaming the ShooterGameTarget class in ShooterGame.Target.cs to BpoFPS03Target, and the ShooterGameEditorTarget class in ShooterGameEditor.Target.cs to BpoFPS03EditorTarget.
[/]

Thanks! I figured you might want to see these message since I used to be a maintenance programmer for our shop.

Some more background info. I think these projects started with either 4.2 or 4.3 version of the engine. I’ve been moving them forward with each release. I think the BpoFPS03 project (based on shootergame) is currently having trouble compiling due to an error where the automation tool has some sort of. I didn’t even know we had an automation tool! What’s strange is that it was compiling just fine. So these projects are having there problems.

Skeletal Re-targeting

Hi Guys,
I have a question about re-targeting skeletal animations. Over the weekend I gave a try re-targeting animations from the advanced anim starter pack to the Mixamo fuse skeleton. And I was able to re-target the animation successfully. However, when I took the ASP_character routine and switched the skeletal mesh to the Mixamo fuse character, the Animation blueprint does not seem to work. Do I need to create a separate animation blueprint for the Mixamo character?

Is the option to use style assets in UMG completely gone? I have dozens of identical buttons and now I have to change each one of them by hand if I want them to look different. is a massive step back in productivity, IMO.

[]
Distance Field Ambient Occlusion Improvements: Asynchronous generation, meshes no longer have to be closed.
[/]

Any that lessens the performance hit / improves quality for plane-heavy objects like foliage?

Visual changes from 4.4.3 to 4.5

After testing the preview, I’ve noticed some odd visuals going on. Image provided below. Any ideas?

://i.imgur/aiK5Npa.png

Left = v4.4.3
Right = v4.5 Preview

[=akaapplications;159844]
After testing the preview, I’ve noticed some odd visuals going on. Image provided below. Any ideas?

://i.imgur/aiK5Npa.png

Left = v4.4.3
Right = v4.5 Preview
[/]

Check your quality options in 4.5 preview. Things like refraction will not work when quality is too low. And Im not sure if its just me, but 4.5 preview seems to default quality to medium.

[=SonKim;159402]
@Benjamin - Is it anything SLIK? ://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store/kits/slik/

The artist template is pretty good,but its not as good as the PBR display in Substance Designer(left) and Quixel Suite(right):

://lookpic/O/i2/1875/T7K1Roo.jpeg

though to be fair I’m new to UE4 and I didn’t use the same HDRI between UE4/SubstanceDesigner/Quixel and UE4 doesn’t allow uncompress texture which is really need for portfolio showcase with all that said I still think there’s still a market for lighting setup.
[/]

Yes we are looking into SLIK among other systems.

For now we would like to first get our bases covered on core features for lighting, post-process, screen capture, packaging and a pop-out GUI with sliders. Later we will consider introducing actual geometry for point lights, etc to give that feeling with the reflections, etc on the cube map of an artists scene among other advanced features in that field.

NOTE: We intend to create a collection of different themed biomes including but not limited to:

• Hyperrealistic

• Adventure

• Cartoon

• Spooky

• Fairytale

• Cell-shaded

• Sci-Fi

• Medieval

• Dungeon

• Racer

• Etc…

All biomes will include a small collection of background assets, turntables/pedestals, shader & camera settings.

We will of course also include HDR Panoramas for those who want their asset to be the only focus in the scene.

Furthermore,
We would at a later stage like to get the community involved by offering community items, where people could sell additional themes for like $1 to $5 each.

However would all depend on whether Epic Games UE4 Marketplace would allow for such things in the future i.e. Sub-markets / DLC type sale systems.

[HR][/HR]
I think I will leave it at that on the subject, as I have kinda hijacked thread with the topic :stuck_out_tongue:

You can find out more about product once we are in the later stages of production with it and its placed up on the UE4 Marketplace sub-forum as a thread :slight_smile:

[= Sarkanen;159613]
Multi-line commit messages are in!
[/]

[=;159635]
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
[/]

I just had a look at Unreal Engine 4.4.3 and it appears that multi-line commit messages are available there. I must of missed it in the 4.4 changelogs (been primarily using 4.3x).

Would you mind providing the commit where enhancement was introduced?

while I am slightly disappointed in the advanced vehicle template (I was expecting more) I had a couple of questions about vehicles in 4.5.

1: has the bug witch made the cars body rise as you drive been fixed?

2: have you guys managed to figure out a way to add some form of actual collision to the wheels?

light map UV generation

I was looking in the preview version for light map UV generation but did not see any generate unique UV channel under window in the mesh editor.

Where has it moved to?

Update

Hello!
In the Blueprint can be moved in the list of variables, but you cannot move functions and macros… I would Like the ability to sort them. To the widget window UMG translate to the fore you will need to delete and start again? Or when you click the mouse (Tab select) on the widget property roaming it automatically goes to the foreground?

@Dwarf King: You can tick “Generate Lightmap UVs” and tweak some settings for it under LOD0 -> Build Settings in the details panel.

[=;159986]
1: has the bug witch made the cars body rise as you drive been fixed?

2: have you guys managed to figure out a way to add some form of actual collision to the wheels?
[/]

nevermind, I answered my own questions, its no to both:(

[=The_Distiller;160048]
@Dwarf King: You can tick “Generate Lightmap UVs” and tweak some settings for it under LOD0 -> Build Settings in the details panel.
[/]

Thanks I am on it like a… a Dwarf King :smiley:

ShooterGame 4.5 ?

Great release! When can we expect the 4.5 ShooterGame to be available?
I’m very interested to see all that refactoring you did for console cert.

Nasty bug in the preview: packaging fails if I create a math expression and change the pin types from float to int.

LogBlueprint:Error: Broken Node: K2Node_Tunnel /Game/Blueprints/Helpers/PickupStatusChanger.PickupStatusChanger:EventGraph.K2Node_MathExpression_154.MathExpression.K2Node_Tunnel_1377 keeps removed/invalid pin: EdGraphPin /Game/Blueprints/Helpers/PickupStatusChanger.PickupStatusChanger:EventGraph.K2Node_MathExpression_154.MathExpression.K2Node_Tunnel_1377.EdGraphPin_39110. Try refresh all nodes.

I also had to manually re-create all my math expressions, but the ones where I use int instead of float fail to package every time. Oddly, the game runs fine in PIE and even mobile preview. I just can’t package it for some reason. I’m also getting LOTS of warnings about deprecated outers.

4.5 has made the variable body a “component” and im fairly sure is what has screwed my blueprint code up and is stopping my game from working in 4.5, no idea how to fix it so sticking with 4.4

Hi,

In 4.5 preview, I’m still not able to bind the numeric key (not the numpad, but the numeric key above the azerty keys) on an AZERTY keyboard.

If I doing a “showdebug input” it showing none for most of them. But if I change the Windows langage settings to EN instead of FR, it works.
I hope you can fix before release.

thanks,

light map UV generation

I just want to say thanks! light map UV generation is a huge improvement, and works great!

I’m thinking of upgrading to 4.5 so I have a question. When you download the new version, does it automatically delete/replace the older UE4 version that’s saved on your computer?

I’m still rocking the March 2014 build so I have no idea how the upgrade works. Also, are there any major concerns I should look for between UE4 March version and UE4 4.5? I’ve heard of things like screen space reflections have a bigger performance cost in the later version.

[=JordanN;160433]
I’m thinking of upgrading to 4.5 so I have a question. When you download the new version, does it automatically delete/replace the older UE4 version that’s saved on your computer?

I’m still rocking the March 2013 build so I have no idea how the upgrade works. Also, are there any major concerns I should look for between UE4 March version and UE4 4.5? I’ve heard of things like screen space reflections have a bigger performance cost in the later version.
[/]

After you upgrade the launcher, you will see a button to ADD another version of the engine (you can have several versions of the engine installed.) way you will not overwrite 4.2 or whatever version it is you are using.

After installing the new version of the engine, you can open it and then import your projects you made with the older engine version. It will ask you if you want to make a copy or convert in-place. I suggest you make a copy, in case something breaks.