Unreal Engine 4.5 Preview!

[=NickDarnell;158477]
ScrollBox is still alive and well and is the thing you generally want. ScrollBar was work that started trying to expose the more primitive bits but couldn’t be finished in time. You would only need ScrollBar if you wanted to implement your own scrollbox.

Viewport was hidden because it’s nowhere near complete. It actually created a pocket UWorld, it didn’t just render meshes to the viewport, and nobody has ever tried that, so…dangers abound. Anyway, you can still do rendering of meshes into the UI through the more normal means, just attach a render target as the texture on an Image Widget, and render whatever you want to that RT.

Cheers,

[/]

Ah. Didn’t catch the proper name on that one and thought it was a more general reference. :slight_smile:

As usual I’m impressed with not only how fast you release the updates, but on how they reflect what the community asks for, is one of the main reasons UE4 is what is it today.

Good job, keep on reading your community!

[=NickDarnell;158477]
Viewport was hidden because it’s nowhere near complete. It actually created a pocket UWorld, it didn’t just render meshes to the viewport, and nobody has ever tried that, so…dangers abound. Anyway, you can still do rendering of meshes into the UI through the more normal means, just attach a render target as the texture on an Image Widget, and render whatever you want to that RT.

Cheers,

[/]

Thanks a lot for the response :)!
Glad to hear it has only been hidden at the very least, as I knew the gist of it being a pocket UWorld via the livestreams and it sounded awesome but I’d read what people had done with it so far and found it as a good solution for the dialog visuals…
I did some searching regarding render targets as textures and great to hear there’s still an alternative for now, however it sounded like a performance hog and it was indicated that it’s only available through coding?

What a massive release, keep up the awesome work Epic!

RIP Unity, UE Hype!!!

Thanks a lot for Hot reload 2.0 and Widget transforms.

Time to renew my subscription…

Had a quick play with some of the new UMG features and I like how you can change the brush/style settings inside the widget designer. However I’ve noticed you cant define any pre-made slate styles or brushes to the elements. It’ll be nice if was a thing, like in 4.3. Be quicker to create a button style that’s commonly used rather than having to set them up each time you add one. Unless I’m missing something?

can’t wait!

Great update!!!

[=pattym;158629]
Had a quick play with some of the new UMG features and I like how you can change the brush/style settings inside the widget designer. However I’ve noticed you cant define any pre-made slate styles or brushes to the elements. It’ll be nice if was a thing, like in 4.3. Be quicker to create a button style that’s commonly used rather than having to set them up each time you add one. Unless I’m missing something?
[/]

The new inline styling is a necessity for now. We have a general plan in mind for a system that will let people make reusable styles. You can quickly copy a style though, just right click on the Style property (not the category) and select copy, and on another style of the same widget type, right click and paste on the Style. That actually will work for any property.

Really loving the new features - especially UMG.

I just cannot figure out how to get the the player to interact with it - since the modal / show cursor options have disappeared.

Anyone figured out?

Anyway, great work epic. I was more excited to hear that 4.5 preview was out than anyone should be.

Yay! I love engine

Error converting project to 4.5

Hi,
When I tried to move my project from 4.4.2 to 4.5, I received error message

The project failed to compile with version of the engine. Build output is as follows:

Running C:/Program Files/Unreal Engine4/4.5/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe BpoFPS03 Development Win64 -project=“C:/Users/Bruce Oberleitner/Documents/Unreal Projects/BpoFPS03 4.5/BpoFPS03.uproject” -rocket -editorrecompile -progress
ERROR: Couldn’t find target rules file for target ‘BpoFPS03’ in rules assembly ‘BpoFPS03_EditorRecompileModuleRules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
Location: C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\BpoFPS03_EditorRecompileModuleRules.dll
Target rules found:
UE4Game - C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine4\4.5\Engine\Source\UE4Game.Target.cs
ShooterGame - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Source\ShooterGame.Target.cs
ShooterGameEditor - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Source\ShooterGameEditor.Target.cs
ShooterGameServer - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Source\ShooterGameServer.Target.cs

Another conversion problem

So here’s another one. In both cases, these project where built from projects shootergame and the vehiclegame template files. is the vehicle game

The project failed to compile with version of the engine. Build output is as follows:

Running C:/Program Files/Unreal Engine4/4.5/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe BpoV2 Development Win64 -project=“C:/Users/Bruce Oberleitner/Documents/Unreal Projects/BpoV2 4.5/BpoV2.uproject” -rocket -editorrecompile -progress
ERROR: Couldn’t find target rules file for target ‘BpoV2’ in rules assembly ‘BpoV2_EditorRecompileModuleRules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
Location: C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoV2 4.5\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\BpoV2_EditorRecompileModuleRules.dll
Target rules found:
VehicleGame - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoV2 4.5\Source\VehicleGame.Target.cs
VehicleGameEditor - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoV2 4.5\Source\VehicleGameEditor.Target.cs

[=;157863]
Looks great.
I don’t see it mentioned, I thought we would be able to deploy to HTML5 in 4.5 binary release, did not make it in?
[/]

I’m afraid not. We’ve had it close to working during the 4.5 development cycle, but ran into a bunch of crashes in the Emscripten compiler that we weren’t able to work around for the final release. We’ve been working closely with their dev team to get it fixed in a future version of the SDK, and we’re hopeful that we might be able to enable it for the next release.

[=Kenomica;158654]
Really loving the new features - especially UMG.

I just cannot figure out how to get the the player to interact with it - since the modal / show cursor options have disappeared.

Anyone figured out?

[/]

Per the release notes:
Add To Viewport – Modal, Show Cursor and Absolute Layout flags have been removed! Absolute Layout is now automatically determined if you manually attempt to position/size it after placing it in the viewport. Cursor and Modal options are now controlled through the Player Controller with the new function “Set Input Mode”.

[=NickDarnell;158763]
Per the release notes:
Add To Viewport – Modal, Show Cursor and Absolute Layout flags have been removed! Absolute Layout is now automatically determined if you manually attempt to position/size it after placing it in the viewport. Cursor and Modal options are now controlled through the Player Controller with the new function “Set Input Mode”.
[/]

Thank you for the reply. Sorry, I must have missed that (there are a LOT of notes) - got it now.

I can’t state enough how impressive is. Great work.

[=Demolition Man;158731]
Hi,
When I tried to move my project from 4.4.2 to 4.5, I received error message

Running C:/Program Files/Unreal Engine4/4.5/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe BpoFPS03 Development Win64 -project=“C:/Users/Bruce Oberleitner/Documents/Unreal Projects/BpoFPS03 4.5/BpoFPS03.uproject” -rocket -editorrecompile -progress
ERROR: Couldn’t find target rules file for target ‘BpoFPS03’ in rules assembly ‘BpoFPS03_EditorRecompileModuleRules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
Location: C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\BpoFPS03_EditorRecompileModuleRules.dll
Target rules found:
ShooterGame - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Source\ShooterGame.Target.cs
ShooterGameEditor - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Source\ShooterGameEditor.Target.cs
ShooterGameServer - C:\Users\Bruce Oberleitner\Documents\Unreal Projects\BpoFPS03 4.5\Source\ShooterGameServer.Target.cs
[/]

I’ll see if I can track down what might be going wrong here and get it fixed before the final 4.5 release.

It looks like someone’s made an assumption that there’s a target name matching your project name, which isn’t true in your case because you based your project on ShooterGame. In the meantime, you might be able to work around it by renaming the ShooterGameTarget class in ShooterGame.Target.cs to BpoFPS03Target, and the ShooterGameEditorTarget class in ShooterGameEditor.Target.cs to BpoFPS03EditorTarget.

Questions:

Questions:confused::

• Are there any plans to introduce a source control Diff tool in the Material Editor like there is in the Blueprint Editor?

• What is the current status on the Merge Tools for Blueprints?
    https://trello/c/LNAFS9xj/290-merge-tools

• Are there any plans to expand the capabilities of Source Control i.e. allowing multi-line commit messages, Ticket\Issue Preview and/or Update Support and perhaps in-editor branch support now that Hot-Reload is fully functioning?

Further details regarding my questions on the Source Control subject can be found here:
https://answers.unrealengine/questions/64478/atlassian-jirastash-bitbucket--ticketissue-p.html

• Patching & DLC Support getting a priority bump up by any ? as some of us developers are planning to release projects on Steam Earl-Access in Q1 2015 and having at least Patching support will be very handy (Steam’s internal patching system might suffice)
    https://trello/c/zIirodgg/307-patching-support
    https://trello/c/96fNqQAT/308-dlc

• It was briefly mentioned in one of the newer Twitch streams that foliage shader improvements are on the way and I would like to know if there is a 4.5 or 4.5 ETA for release planned even if it’s in experimental state? (@ ;))

• Since there has been a lot of improvements to rendering/lighting will image based area lights be making an appearance soon? :slight_smile:
    https://trello/c/mQuB9RNS/34-image-based-area-lights

• Are there any console commands to enable Sequencer & Niagara so those who are curious with the interface can check them out in their infancy?

[=gameDNA ;157878]
What’s new with blended root-motion? On Roadmap it’s marked for SEPTEMBER.
[/]

[=khatar_matar;158276]
It’s my question too.
I’ve been waiting for it a long time.
[/]

ditto +3

• I would be interested to hear if tech demo will ever make it into the marketplace?

https://.com/MOvfn1p92_8

Though it would probably need a complete overhaul due to back then it was running on an old OpenGL system for lighting.

Furthermore,
It would be rather spectacular if it also had OculusRift & Leap Motion support for use with the VR Mount.

Considering that there aren’t really any interactive tech demos on the marketplace besides I guess the Content Examples it would be extremely beneficial in my opinion to allow developers and the general public//Media audiences to have something to play with both in-editor and in game that is both informative, pretty and not to mention fun to play around in :smiley:

p.s. Showdown looks spectacular :eek:

[HR][/HR]
Phew now that is out of the way,
I would like just to say that we all very much appreciate your commitment to the community and your god-like ability at pumping out meaty content every 4-6 weeks :slight_smile: **YOU’RE THE BEST EPIC GAMES **

is really some super amazing updates.

I am especially interested in seeing how the new version of automatic UV light mapping works on high polygon models. So far it works well on small models but on bigger architectures one will have to make a second UV channel in a 3D program like 3ds , Maya or Lightwave 3D.

When will we see release?

I’m getting a compilation error with the latest preview.

16>D:\\UnrealEngine-4.5.0-preview\Engine\Source\Editor\HardwareTargeting\Private\HardwareTargetingModule.cpp(262): error C2661: 'SDecoratedEnumCombo<EHardwareClass::Type>::FComboOption::FComboOption' : no overloaded function takes 4 arguments
16>D:\\UnrealEngine-4.5.0-preview\Engine\Source\Editor\HardwareTargeting\Private\HardwareTargetingModule.cpp(278): error C2661: 'SDecoratedEnumCombo<EGraphicsPreset::Type>::FComboOption::FComboOption' : no overloaded function takes 4 arguments
16>  -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
16>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: D:\\UnrealEngine-4.5.0-preview\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-HardwareTargeting.dll
16>  Cumulative action seconds (8 processors): 0.00 building projects, 97.32 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.00 linking, 0.00 other
16>  UBT execution time: 107.26 seconds
16>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code -1.

With : https:///EpicGames/UnrealEngine/releases/tag/4.5.0-preview