Unreal Engine 4.27 project not compatible with Visual Studio Community 2017

Hello, there. I wanted to install Unreal Engine 4.27.2, because I want to try developing my own games. :wave:

I know that older Unreal Engine versions need to be accessed only on GitHub and need an account. I linked it to my account, and then accessed the repository. I forked it and cloned it on the GitHub desktop app.

Because the guide said so, I installed Visual Studio Community 2017, with the “Game development with C++” component and I check the “Unreal Engine Installer” component that was in the other optional additions. And, I didn’t forget about the “NuGet Package Manager”. In short, I installed all the required components.

Then I made sure to copy the Commit.gitdeps.xml file and ran the setup.bat file that was in the folder of the cloned repository. When it finished downloading the necessary files, I ran the GenerateProjectFiles.bat file, and everything worked like normal, up until the opening of the solution file. Upon opening it, and loading all the files it said that the UE4 project was incompatible with the current edition of Visual Studio. This is really weird, because I said earlier I installed the version and edition of Visual Studio as said in the article.

Am I just missing some tweaks or something? This is also my first time encountering this. Hasn’t happened with other Unreal Engine versions.

Hi TraoX_

It should be VS2019 for 4.27:

You don’t need to build 4.27 from source though, you can install it from the Epic Launcher :

Oh, ok. Thank you.

1 Like

delete UE4.sln
first Setup.bat after GenerateProjectFiles.bat run