Unreal Engine 4.27-Chaos Preview now available on the Epic Games launcher

Preview 1 for the 4.27-Chaos build is here!

We want to thank everyone for your continued help in testing the 4.26-Chaos build, along with all your additional feedback on the Chaos system as a whole.

With the binary build you can experience Chaos first hand, including cloth, vehicles, and destruction! Be sure to check out the documentation on the Chaos Physics and Destruction System.

Please note: the 4.27-Chaos build can be found at the bottom of the dropdown.

Chaos-ready templates and demos
Once you’ve downloaded the 4.27-Chaos Preview build, you can test drive the Vehicle, and Advanced Vehicle templates with updated Chaos actors and smash into the Chaos Destruction Demo , available on the Learn Tab. To get started with the Chaos Destruction Demo, you’ll need to follow these instructions on configuring it for this new Preview.

Please keep in mind that the path in those instructions will differ slightly to: //UE4/Release-4.27-Chaos/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Configuration/TargetRules.cs

See below issues fixed with the 4.27-Chaos build:

Issue key Summary
UE-120484 GitHub 8258 : Fix convex vs trimesh collision when trimesh is scaled.
UE-119382 GitHub 8211 : Update CollisionProfile.cpp
UE-122140 Editor crashes when triggering several examples one by one on the ‘TM-ChaosFields’ level
UE-122134 Editor crashes when closing PIE after activating example 4 on the ‘TM-ChaosFields’ level
UE-119777 Crash when PIE in the level with SystemFieldActor which has Set Culling Field function’s input pin unconnected
UE-104841 Crash with geometry collection in es3.1 preview

Fixed in 4.27-Chaos Preview 2

UE-122134 Editor crashes when closing PIE after activating example 4 on the ‘TM-ChaosFields’ level
UE-122140 Editor crashes when triggering several examples one by one on the ‘TM-ChaosFields’ level
UE-119395 Chaos: Add shock propagation to QPBD path
UE-119394 Chaos: Contact Solve Ordering
UE-119396 Chaos: QPBD Velocity Solve for Joints
UE-121633 Crash on reload level with GC collection after reload this geometry collection

Updated in 4.27-Chaos Preview 3

• This release focused on a number of Rigid Body Solver performance improvements.

Have fun with the Chaos—happy developing!

5 Likes

Hi, I have followed the instructions but when I open the demo the destruction doesn’t work. I have noticed that you are mentioning some sort of fix. I have taken following steps from the guide and forum:

1. installed 4.27 chaos source build from github
  2. downloaded project. Right clicked to change to version 4.27.chaos source build
  3. I have replaced 2 x downloaded files .target.cs uploaded by Amanda
  4. inside of the visual studio of the chaos 4.27 build. I build the project and open it.
  5. project opens fine with chaos plugin enabled. I do manually enable chaos field. Restart.
  6. when I play in editor the supplied maps in chaos project no destruction happens at all.

Could you please advice what am I doing wrong? Many Thanks in advance.

Hi, i have the same issue.

installed 4.27 chaos source from github but in the editor i can t find the chaos editor. Can someone help us? thank’s

It seems that there is no option for 4.27 Chaos. It’s not appearing anywhere in the list of available engines.

1 Like

As I said, it’s not there. Although this does at least mean it’s there for other people :slight_smile:

Have you updated your Epic Launcher? I do believe that list pulls from the “cloud”, so it seems odd it wouldn’t be in the list.

I found it at the bottom as well.

Running C:/dev/Unreal/Engine/UE_4.27Chaos/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“D:/dev/Unreal/Projects/ChaosDestructionDemo/ChaosDestructionDemo.uproject” -game -rocket -progress -log=“D:\dev\Unreal\Projects\ChaosDestructionDemo/Saved/Logs/UnrealVersionSelector-2021.10.07-18.28.41.log”
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…
ERROR: Could not find NetFxSDK install dir; this will prevent SwarmInterface from installing. Install a version of .NET Framework SDK at 4.6.0 or higher.

UPDATE!

We have just released Preview 2 for 4.27-Chaos! Thank you for your continued help in testing the 4.27-Chaos build before its official release. As a reminder, the Preview builds are for testing only, and should not be used for the active development of your project.

Fixed in 4.27-Chaos Preview 2

Issue key Summary
UE-119395 Chaos: Add shock propagation to QPBD path
UE-119394 Chaos: Contact Solve Ordering
UE-119396 Chaos: QPBD Velocity Solve for Joints
UE-121633 Crash on reload level with GC collection after reload this geometry collection
2 Likes

is 4.27 chaos version support android cloth physics?

UPDATE!

We have just released Preview 3 for 4.27-Chaos! Thank you for your continued help in testing the 4.27-Chaos build before its official release. As a reminder, the Preview builds are for testing only, and should not be used for the active development of your project.

Updated in 4.27-Chaos Preview 3

• This release focused on a number of Rigid Body Solver performance improvements.
1 Like

when can we use chaos cloth in Android/IOS platform?

Mine also doesn’t have the chaos 4.27 too, even after restarting launcher. Then I use secondary PC to launch the launcher and it has it, and now the first machine has the option too showed up.

Get a new version in the Epic Games launcher, scroll down in the version selector, and voila, you will see 4.27-chaos

It seems the UE4.72Chaos preview has been removed from the list in the launcher?
(As well as the UE4.26Chaos preview).

Only option is to build from source now for this preview?