Unreal Engine 4.26 released!

Is anybody crashing when opening “Niagara Advanced” from the Content Examples ?
Looks like on my Linux with my GTX 980 Ti (drivers 455.45.01) it raises an assert when turning “realtime” on in the viewport with the Vulkan backend:

[2020.12.03-22.07.11:222][100]LogVulkanRHI: Error: Result failed, VkResult=-4
at /mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanMemory.cpp:4591
with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST
[2020.12.03-22.07.11:253][100]LogCore: Error: appError called: Fatal error: [File:/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp] [Line: 803]
Result failed, VkResult=-4
at /mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanMemory.cpp:4591
with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST
0x00007feb12b6b29f libUE4Editor-VulkanRHI.so!VulkanRHI::VerifyVulkanResult(VkResult, char const*, char const*, unsigned int) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp:802]
0x00007feb12b245b9 libUE4Editor-VulkanRHI.so!VulkanRHI::FFenceManager::WaitForFence(VulkanRHI::FFence*, unsigned long long) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanMemory.cpp:4591]
0x00007feb12ada74d libUE4Editor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanCommandBufferManager::WaitForCmdBuffer(FVulkanCmdBuffer*, float) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanCommandBuffer.cpp:457]
0x00007feb12b43d6e libUE4Editor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanDynamicRHI::RHIReadSurfaceData(FRHITexture*, FIntRect, TArray<FColor, TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> >&, FReadSurfaceDataFlags) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanRenderTarget.cpp:323]
0x00007fec56ee9f1e libUE4Editor-Engine.so!FViewport::GetRawHitProxyData(FIntRect)::$_104::operator()(FRHICommandListImmediate&) const [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/UnrealClient.cpp:1716]
0x00007fec56eea4ca libUE4Editor-Engine.so!TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<FViewport::GetRawHitProxyData(FIntRect)::ReadSurfaceCommandName, FViewport::GetRawHitProxyData(FIntRect)::$_104>::DoTask(ENamedThreads::Type, TRefCountPtr<FGraphEvent> const&) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/RenderCore/Public/RenderingThread.h:183]
0x00007fec56eea81c libUE4Editor-Engine.so!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<FViewport::GetRawHitProxyData(FIntRect)::ReadSurfaceCommandName, FViewport::GetRawHitProxyData(FIntRect)::$_104> >::ExecuteTask(TArray<FBaseGraphTask*, TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> >&, ENamedThreads::Type) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Public/Async/TaskGraphInterfaces.h:886]
0x00007fec58e61d8c libUE4Editor-Core.so!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:709]
0x00007fec58e6048e libUE4Editor-Core.so!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:600]
0x00007fec5380573f libUE4Editor-RenderCore.so!RenderingThreadMain(FEvent*) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/RenderCore/Private/RenderingThread.cpp:372]
0x00007fec53850972 libUE4Editor-RenderCore.so!FRenderingThread::Run() [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/RenderCore/Private/RenderingThread.cpp:526]
0x00007fec58f11c37 libUE4Editor-Core.so!FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/HAL/PThreadRunnableThread.cpp:25]
0x00007fec58ed6003 libUE4Editor-Core.so!FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) [/mnt/dev/UE4/Engine/UnrealEngine_4-26-0/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/HAL/PThreadRunnableThread.h:185]
0x00007fec598573e9 libpthread.so.0!UnknownFunction(0x93e8)
0x00007fec50223293 libc.so.6!clone(+0x42)

1 Like

VERY Thanks EPIC for the release!!

If I may, anyway:

Thought I was the only one…

Confirm: no render on water even if it is enabled as plugIn togheter with landmass.

To reproduce (once you have enabled the plugIn):

New Level

add waterCustom or Ocean

No render.

2 Likes

WOW REALLY? I’d love to know why? i just purchased tons of materials with Tessellation… WOW guess i stick with4.25…

1 Like

It seems to be very fiddly in terms of z position. Try moving your landscape up and down. I haven’t managed to get it working on large landscapes, but it should work on smaller ones.

Other steps I took:

• Make sure you enable edit layers
  • I made a new edit layer “water”, and made sure it was selected in while in landscape mode, when I dragged in the water body.

You should also automatically get a brush actor spawned, which you can control in the world outliner.

2 Likes

But it should at least render when you drop it in the level, even if you don’t have a landscape.

1 Like

Probably because it was terrible and not well suited for anything except water, but they’ve implemented their own water surface that better adaptively subdivides so now it isn’t even useful for that.

If you were using it for terrain I’d suggest checking out the virtual heightfield mesh plugin, because that’s apparently going to replace landscapes and should allow for much better results than tessellation.

1 Like

Deprecated: Tessellation is now Deprecated.???

Time you FIRE what ever developer decided this was a good idea without giving us a better alternative.
Seems I have seen a lot of destructive changes like this recently. whoever is directing the team to make
this kind of neck cutting changes seems to want to see people use other engines and someone needs to step up.
This is a unnecessary change that will put off lots of developers.

2 Likes

no LOL i don’t use it on just water. there are tons of things I and TONS of developers use it for. you obviously don’t understand the power behind it. LOL

1 Like

yes. seems to be the new trend having stuff that don’t work haha

2 Likes

How I can get depth or on occolusion from depth in iPhone 12 with lidar?

1 Like

I think it has to be a typo or something. Getting rid of this widespread used of a feature completely seems insane.

1 Like

i hope you are right or things are going to get FLAT if you get my vertex point XD

1 Like

Is anyone else unable to change the size of the window when running a project as a standalone game? Seems like no matter what I set it to it’s always locked to a small 4:3 window

1 Like

Thanks, Epic… TONS of fixes!

1 Like

I figured it out. When CREATING the landscape you have to select enable edit layers.

2 Likes

Water is broken. The map working fine with 4.26 preview 7 now rendering ocean body in weird ways…

1 Like

maybe they removed it instead of the terrible Tessellation… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi kbgbfm,

I spent a lot of time to figure out why water doesn’t render. But yeah, in the end, I got it. Saw your post. Wanted to answer you :wink: And glad you figured it out.

It’s not obvious about water rendering for people who learn this feature. Epic should improve a little bit UI to make this more clear.

1 Like

When Quixel Bridge will be updated to support 4.26?

1 Like

Tessellation? More like trashellation

1 Like