Unreal Engine 4.23 Preview

Thanks for posting the result, it does look great! Using 1 bounce or 2 ? In your opinion has the performance improved? I’ve give it a try once I got some free time.

Hi Nilson! It is very commendable for any of us to show our appreciation and defend the progress made, but do not worry. Epic is able to stand on their own and answer themselves when they have not made progress in a situation yet, if they want. So, if they have a fix coming (ie - opaque shadows in Raytracing), they can assist users to knowing what forward progress is being made. But they say/show the opposite (ie - it is an ongoing Beta).

My game’s default settings are:
GI Bounces: 1
GI Samples: 6
GI Upsampling: 25%

I give the player controls to adjust those (I’m finding not every upsample resolution is relevant). 25, 50 and 100% seem to give clear results in both perf and quality. The lower upsample rate of 25% definitely reduces quality and makes the result muddier, but it makes GI performance tolerable. 2 Bounces look better for sure but it comes at a noticeable performance cost. 6 Samples seems to keep the GI noise to a minimum along with the 25% rate but doesn’t impact perf too much.

My scenes are all dynamically lit and Ray Traced. With GI off perf is around 90fps, with GI on (using the default settings) its more like 55-60. My hope is that GI will get better over time, maybe by the time UE reaches 4.24 they’ll have all the quality and perf issues sorted out.

GI rendering quality looks better in 4.23 but the denoiser dance is still present. The noise dance is a different result than 4.22, and it may be improved. Right now I can just tell that its a different but still noisy result.

But I have seen RT performance is absolutely better. I have some scenes where a reflected image can consume the screen, and in 4.22 this would cut the framerate in half. In 4.23 there’s no perf loss at all.

Oculus quest strange things.
good day. I follow the instructions in this video: https://youtu.be/hEtu-ciPc7g I was able to successfully install the standard VR template on Oculus Quest, all the mechanics (tracking of the head and hands, buttons on the controller, and so on, work successfully), but there is one strange thing: when the application is launched for the first time, immediately after creating lunch through the menu, everything looks great. but after closing, disconnecting from the computer and reopening, some objects and hands become covered with green highlights.
What am I missing?

Okay, EPIC! Nice!
NnnnnnnnnnnnnnnNIIIIIICE
I am seeing progress with RAYTRACING in Prev 7. More stability, better denoising on well lit areas.
Now, denoising on shadowy areas is the issue, as shadowy areas still become so filled with flickering dark spots that the scenes with them become somewhat unusable.
But a better overall experience!..
PROGRESS!!!

(Funny, the experience is somewhat strange if using a scene from time ago, because a lot of the metallic material amount, which worked well in raster, now reflects heavily to the scene, so it makes you need to re-tweak a lot, because if left as-was everything looks super-metalized!)

Okay one odd thing though still goes to the Translucency selection (Raytrace vs Raster):
-It seems that in Preview 1, we had it stuck on Raster. While it looked good, it wasn’t actively switching to raytracing the translucency when Raytrace was selected for Translucency;
-Then 2-6 it was stuck on Raytrace, and you would see the opaque shadows and strange alpha/masking artifacts on the mesh. Even if you selected raster, it actively raytraced;
-Well, now in Preview 7, it seems it is now back to being stuck in Raster, where you can switch it back and forth, but it always actively renders Raster. Now, I myself like this much better, but it still seems broken? Because in 4.22.3 you can switch it back and forth to clearly see a difference.
(Now, because in 4.22.3 the Raytraced Translucency is problematic, you wind up leaving it Raster…so, to have it stuck on Raster in 4.23 is better, so I guess my vote is to leave Translucency stuck on raster if it has to be one or the other!)

Just wondering if there might be a fix for these two Niagara issue in 4.23?

Noise on pr7

This says fixed, but still seems not working, shows Translucency raster no matter what is selected for translucency. THX!

Just a hint for people trying to achieve results from realtime raytracing, I saw at an Epic’s presentation at Siggraph two project settings being used and told as important, but I don’t remember seeing them anywhere else documented and/or related, so there you go:

• GBuffer Format: High Precision Normals
  • Reflection Capture Resolution: 1024 (default is 128) ----> this one probably people were using despite not mentioned

EPIC - here is another thing no one will say, but I shalth:
Put the Denoiser controls in the Post Process, maybe even in a special Denoiser section under rendering, where we can rapidly access and adjust?.

Just as a user it feels laborious activating on a one-off basis.

THX!!!

Hey, you know how you have the thread “How to Enable Chaos in 4.23”?
We need one for “How to Enable Raytracing Denoiser in 4.23”!!!

Or, is it completely unfinished and not working steadily yet…
But in any event, how would it be working at this point:

Like, what do the numbers do, are they amounts as in 0 (min) with 1, 2, 3, 4, etc increasing denoiser power in the render-mix?
Or, is it 0 = Off, and 1 = On

And then, is it only supposed to optimally work when samples per pixel are low, like 1, and then not work when higher

In a nutshell -
“Wait…Whaaaaaaa???”

THX

On RAYTRACING and Rendering- :stuck_out_tongue:

When you render out, say, an .AVI or frames for a cinematic camera sequence thing, is there a target sample that you can set, like would be the case in a traditional Raytraced renderer?

ie

• in Octane Render I could set 100 vs 1000 s/px per frame, with render time being increased respectively
  • in Iray I could set 100 vs 1000 iterations per frame, with render time being increased respectively

But it seems that the paradigm is different here as it is meant to be realtime in game, or is it still possible to render frames with a target Raytraced sample amount at export time, vs “in game”?

PS - Very Excited with progress!!!
THX

If you click on help>console variable you can search for “denoiser” and it will give you some insight into what the numbers mean. It’s not detailed but it gives you a description.

I have no issues like that on the Quest, although I never launch it from the editor. I always just make an ASTC build and install with the .bat file. There is absolutely no speed difference between the two, but making a build gives you the opportunity to save it for later comparisons or backups, or to test on a different headset.

Thanks, I’m doing it now.

Yeah Epic…this thing gives default values and then details some variable options, but does not articulate what the ranges are. Like, min and max?

More detailed min-max ranges would be helpful. Otherwise we are just guessing what it means.
ie - If 3 is default, then the range is 0 (min) to 3 (mid) to 6 (max)?
You know> Or is it able to go to 10? Or does it only go to 4…

And then the rest, LOL…I have no idea what a lot of it means…History Post Filter?..What does that do???

And then something like this:
[TABLE]

r.SSR.ExperimentalDenoiser
Replace SSR’s TAA pass with denoiser.

But, do you need to put a number after it, like 1, to enable it? But then what if you put 2, is it then 2x the power?

Basically, “Uy-yuy-yuy-yuy-yuy-yuy-yuy-yuy-yuy-yuy”…:eek:

4.23 preview 7 is not alowing me to enter VR preview mode using the VR template. 4.21 VR template works fine. This issue persists after a restart and a clear steam start up before UE4.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Check the attached image.

EDIT - I see, it is just the “in game” sample amount. The idea is work with sample count low, and then right before the render time, up it.

Just in use, I am seeing that no matter what sample amount/denoiser settings I throw at it, shadows have an undefeatable noise.
But the rest!-- Like it, Very good!!!

The new Backdrop “Light” / Feature is nice. I tried higher res HDRI maps because everything looks a bit blurry. Unfortunately if you change the “Maximum Texture Size” in the CubeMap settings to anything bigger than 4k the Unreal Engine crashes.

My imported HDRI is 16384x8192.

Error:

Assertion failed: (OtherSizeType)NewNum == OtherNum [File:d:\build++ue4\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\Containers/Array.h] [Line: 2520] Invalid number of elements to add to this array type: 18446744072635809792

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_TextureFormatUncompressed
UE4Editor_TextureCompressor
UE4Editor_TextureCompressor
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Epic - that iPad Camera thing, some ideas to add-

1. an ability to rotate with a right-thumb control, as an augment to only rotating by moving yourself in geo-space
  2. a pinch-zoom camera-zoom - you already have a navigational Left-controller that let’s you ‘move’ the camera itself forward, but it does not emulate, say, if you were recording video with a phone and 2-finger pinch-zooming in on a target
  3. an ability to let the phone app record your audio…this spontaneous live vocal could so enhance the playback