Unreal Engine 4.23 Preview

Hey guys, that looks awesome! Can we enable Vulkan on the Oculus Quest?

Not until UE gets 1.39+ Integration from Oculus and it’s not happening for 4.23 release. Use Oculus fork of UE4.

Cinema4D datasmith is not working on 4.23 preview 7. I was working perfectly in 4.23 preview 6

Did you click the link bellow the update button to update the plugin aswel? Just wondering since mine still updating the engine.

Yes I did, i also verified the installation. When i try to open the project i was working with cinema says "the following modules are missing or built with a different engine version, the a list of different datasmithc4d modules.

Ok Solved!
There was a new datasmith update just right now! Now it is working. Cinema4d Integration is awesome.

Updated to preview 7 in hopes of a smaller compilation size for Android and iOS, but no such luck.
Hopefully they get the sizes back down or else it won’t be usable for mobile for us.

There are many ways to reduce the size of your packaged game, you can find documentation on that here.

The Datasmith update usually arrives within ~10min after the Preview update and the launcher doesn’t always immediately reflect that the update is available. Restarting the launcher can force it, so try that next time :slight_smile:

Something definitely has bloated the size of shipping projects between 4.22.3 and 4.23.0 preview 7. With the same data and project settings, my build size has gone up 240MB (2.12GB vs 2.36GB). This is not a terribly big deal for a PC project like mine, it may even be necessary for some reason (some new cached data?). But I can see how this would be detrimental for a mobile project.

for some reason my render targets are flipped vertically when running on the Oculus Quest, compared to in editor or with es3.1 preview

Hello, I find it impossible to try raytracing, every time I try to open the editor I get the same error. I would appreciate if someone could explain why this happens.

error:
Unhandled exception

D3D12
D3D12
D3D12
D3D12
D3D12
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

4.23 P7 .When click right -> Pivot->Click middle mouse button in pivot oject and change pivot->set as pivot offset and error when move oject ,pivot auto return center pivot.( Test join 2 cube with pivot).I transferred all project to 4.23 and No way back to 4.22 .Help

Okay Epic - Listen

I saw this and the presenter looked very uneasy with the controller when he towards end was using the VirtualCameraGameMode Design Visualization Using UE 4.23 | SIGGRAPH 2019 | Unreal Engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKGwM0Yj-0&t=854s

Here are 2 comments/suggestions that would have definitely aided him in presenting with more confidence, and would aid us in using it:

1. give the controller icon a start pointer so you can see and control where ios screen direction will begin. Currently there is no way to control this once it starts on ios device.
  2. put an on screen rotate control option (either a Right thumb-rotate to complement the Left-thumb navigation) or a true touchscreen rotate (like Fortnite, Roblox on iPad), so that VR rotation can also be augmented by screen-controlled rotation.

He looked like he was relieved that he got through it and could end it.
That’s how I feel using it as well…I feel like, “Come on, please work, please…”

THX!

The problem is using all those tips in 4.22 compared to 4.23 results in an APK twice the size for my project (260meg in 4.23 opposed to 130meg in 4.22 and below). There is a major change going on with 4.23 perhaps including something it shouldn’t?

I have a slightly different problem, maybe it’s user error. I’m running 4.23 preview 7 with a updated datasmith plugin. I tried to import a STEP file, but that file format isn’t present as option, no IGES/IGS option either.

edit: user error, gotta import using the datasmith button in the editor.

I heard it mentioned in the one recent siggraph talk (I think that was the conference) where they mentioned multi-gpu raytracing support in 4.23. How is this enabled?

Hi,

I was prompted with the error “the following modules are missing or built with a different engine version” whenever I create a new 4.23 project, then as I proceed to “rebuild” I got the error of “Project could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from sources manually.” Has anyone else encountered a similar problem with UE4.23? Appreciate if anyone could point me to the right direction to make 4.23 work. Thanks!

I saw it too, but they also said it was partially implemented, meaning there is still some way to go and it is targeted to 4.24 the completion, but also might slip, so don’t yet invest in additional hardware until you see it making through as a feature in the preview and/or release notes. Safe option.

On 4.23.7 still raytraced shadows are always two-sided, bug reported: [Bug] Raytraced shadow always two-sided - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums - I really hope it would be addressed before final release.