Unreal Engine 4.23 Preview

Yeah it’s really annoying. I’ve not tested the latest preview but last time I tested it was not as bad if I built for Vulkan however OpenGL3.1(or 2) resulted in this appearing pretty heavy. I’m seeing some strange things with collisions not working correctly as a result of this as well btw.

Seeing as the launch of 4.23 is imminent and Quest development is still pretty busted, I may just have to bail and revert back to a previous engine version. @aussieburger Which was the last stable version you used for VR dev?

In any case, I’ve submitted a fresh bug report for the render targets. I also uploaded a video demonstrating the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQZQ…ature=youtu.be

One thing that is different between now and the other preview builds is that the ES3.1 preview actually shows the problem correctly. Previously it would appear to work in the preview but not the headset. So uhhhh, good job on that? :smiley:

Do you need more specifications of my pc guys?

Yeah, sorry, somehow I got confused by the name and couldn’t relate it to a previous post. Well, the specs are really OK. What is possibly missing is the components for Visual Studio, so could you execute the Visual Studio Installer and post a print screen from the selected options selected during the install. There are a couple of modules that are necessary to install, so I can pin-point what is missing with this screenshot.

It’s nice to see Android fixes and an upgrade to ARCore 1.7 but is there any development on this issue related to Custom Depth on Android? Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-77463)

The targeted fix if 4.24 but I was really hoping it would be fixed for 4.23, it’s put a complete stop to an AR Template I was working on.

Guys everything is working fine. Finally.

It seams that ray-traced shadows are always two sided - is it something that will be fixed on some point?

Would there be reason for them to think the user base is lying to them, as in making up false issue tickets?
Or was there a history of false reporting somewhere in the development process that was well known?

I know I’ve submitted tickets before for things I didn’t fully verify, and wound up being red herrings. I imagine it’s a pretty common occurrence.

Makes sense they would want their engineers to verify a claim of a bug before going to the trouble of creating a ticket for it :slight_smile:

If the build project full nativization, then this place stops and does not go further :frowning:

Hello.
I can not compile the engine in 4.23 p1-p6.

Error compiling.
/opt/UnrealEngine-4.23.0-preview-6/Engine/Extras/ThirdPartyNotUE/SDKs/HostLinux/Linux_x64/v13_clang-7.0.1-centos7/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-ld: /opt/UnrealEngine-4.23.0-preview-6/Engine/Intermediate/Build/Linux/B4D820EA/UnrealFrontend/Development/HTTP/HttpManager.cpp.o:(.data.rel.ro+0x60): undefined reference to `typeinfo for FTickerObjectBase’
clang++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I compile on Linux.
Engine/Saved/UnrealBuildTool/BuildConfiguration.xml

bUseUnityBuild = false
bUsePCHFiles = false

Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Platform/Linux/LinuxToolChain.cs
edit Result += " -Wall"; // -Werror

So what is the deal now with RTX in VR? Can you package a Desktop VR App with RTX enabled with 4.23 (final release)?

Oculus branch 4.22 - it has the latest OculusVR plugin (version 1.39) which seems to work best for Quest.

However the Oculus 4.23 branch has the same issues as the Epic 4.23 Previews so worried no one is noticing / fixing it. Also annoying that Epic’s 4.23 is currently only bundled with OculusVR plugin version 1.36 as opposed to the latest 1.39 version (which contains lots of Vulkan fixes and improvements)

@aussieburger I think that you will only see updates in preview with plugins that are newly added, while plugins already present in earlier UE4 releases you will only see them updated with the UE4 release, which “usually” (not a rule) incorporate the latest ones. I know it is sad.

Anyone know if theres a way to get HLOD textures to be output as virtual textures?

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Do you know if render targets work correctly in that build?

I’m guessing not but have not tested render targets sorry

I was also looking forward to using the new Vulkan improvements for the Quest but it is very disappointing that the official release is always lagging behind the official Oculus SDK version. I really dream of the day that updating the main plugins doesn’t require to download and build whole versions of the engine!

Is there any documentation available on:

• Remote control over HTTP

Also are we any closer to being able to use an iPad virtual camera in a Multi-User Editing session yet. Have some scenarios in mind where this would be really useful.