Unreal Engine 4.21 Released!

I’m having the same problem with a blank blueprint project from a launcher build. I’ve posted in answerhub as well. :frowning:

UPDATE: Just remove the engine and re-install. I guess the old previews were conflicting with the release.

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know this was occurring!

From looking at the information I can find about this issue internally, I cannot find any evidence of a bug report being entered and I do not believe we ever had a reproduction of it. Can you please enter a bug submission for this issue using our Bug Submission form? Please provide as much information as possible, including your DxDiag information. Even before that, I’m going to try to follow up because I believe this issue may of been dismissed due to the lack of reproduction.

So much stuff i dont have enough brain storage to hold it all :frowning:

Hello spacegojira,

I do believe that Mellnik is correct and the loading time is likely related to the shaders. This same behavior occurs in 4.20 the first time you disable Allow Static Lighting. After doing this the first time and letting it complete, the shaders are compiled and stored so doing this again should not result in a simulated freeze such as this. If you continue to encounter the issue, please report this issue to us through a Bug Submission with as many details as you can to reproduce this, as I am currently seeing no delay after doing this the first time.

Hello EXpMiNi,

I do not believe that we have seen this issue. Can you please enter a Bug Submission for this issue? Please be sure to provide your OSX version and your display hardware information as well as anything else that seems useful.

Hello iamjohngalt1975,

As with the report above, I do not believe we’ve seen any issues such as this internally. Can you please enter a Bug Submission with a clear reproduction case on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

Would it be possible to utilize Pixel Streaming to have one instance of UE4 powering multiple viewports that are sent to different clients, split-screen style?

Hi ,

I’ve reported the issue again, it’s actually quite simply to get it to happen yourself:

1. Install Nvidia Driver 4xx.xx on a recent (Pascal, Turing) GPU.
  2. Attach a HDR Display, make it the primary one.
  3. Disable HDR in Windows Settings
  4. Launch Unreal Engine 4, it should now flicker off and on whenever a new windows is created.

This can be avoided by turning Windows HDR on, but Windows is generally awful at HDR it turns out and for some reason values from (0, 0, 0) to (10, 10, 10) end up super bright on the display. Which means that Unreal Engine 4 will look awful on that monitor, unless I manage to launch UE4 in HDR mode on it (-hdr -d3d12, r.hdr.enablehdroutput 1, r.hdr.display. stuff) - or if I get back the ability to use UE4 in SDR mode. This problem affects all compiled games too, so it’s not unique to just the Editor - it’s just easier to reproduce it with the editor.

How can I re-enable OpenGL3 support for Linux packaging? According to the notes it can still be enforced, but the previous ini setting seems to be ignored.

.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/5142
This bug now also affect mobile preview on PC after 4.21. Earlier it only affected iOS.
Anything rendered with alpha composite mess up alpha channel which stores depth value. Please integrate this fix.

Hello,

Do you know if the multi-view direct works on Oculus Go in the official 4.21 ? It has been fixed by Oculus in their 4.20 branch but I don’t know if the fix is in the 4.21 from official repository.

Thanks.

I doubt they will look at your video (that only shows the packaged game in different versions and 0 code), but I would recommend you to reproduce the steps in a clean project (maybe record a video of it), or just check the Content Examples for 4.21 version in the Learn tab (RepNotify seems to works fine there) and if it really is a bug, report it.

You are probably way more experienced than I but I’m just trying to show how they can actually help you and everyone else in case it really is an engine bug.

I got this upgrading a shootergame derived project:

LogTexture: Display: Building textures: HUDAssets02 (AutoDXT, 512X512) LogTexture: Warning: GetMipData failed for /Game/UI/HUD/HUDAssets02.HUDAssets02 (DXT5) LogTexture: Display: Building textures: HUDAssets02 (AutoDXT, 512X512) LogTexture: Error: Failed to build texture /Game/UI/HUD/HUDAssets02.HUDAssets02. LogTexture: Display: Building textures: LowHealthOverlay (AutoDXT, 1024X1024) LogTexture: Warning: GetMipData failed for /Game/UI/HUD/LowHealthOverlay.LowHealthOverlay (DXT5) LogTexture: Display: Building textures: LowHealthOverlay (AutoDXT, 1024X1024) LogTexture: Error: Failed to build texture /Game/UI/HUD/LowHealthOverlay.LowHealthOverlay.

Deleting my ./Saved folder fixed it… Just throwing that out there because Google found very little on the Failed to build texture error.

does support only hp and samsung wmr?

Where can I find more info on the Niagara Skeletal Mesh Data Interface? Especially SkeletalMeshSurfaceLocation sounds like something I might need, but there is no info on it anywhere

very very boring update
please release rtx support version
please add new and modern baking system over the old lightmass

You should probably write it in the changelog if you add new SceneTextureIds.
It broke a lot of post process materials in my project. You added Shading Model ID before the CustomStencil.
First of all, its not nice to break enum order, its even worse if you don’t even mention it.

We need to go through every post process material which uses depth stencil, and replace this line

SceneTextureLookup(uv, 24, false)

to this

SceneTextureLookup(uv, 25, false)

Guys, please, UE-65983 is still present in UE4.21 release!
‘Cannot Reproduce’ is not a correct status for this issue, it is very reproducable!

How many people have Google Daydream/Cardboard VR projects here?
Do you have issues with 4.20 and/or 4.21?

we dont need rtx thats useless, we need better programming and documentation, especially C++ compile speedups maybe implement a cache system for UE4 build system its very slow, we also need a plugin for VS other than VAssist thats developed by Epic and that can properly search and find what you need for autocomplete + documentation intellisense
we also need full support for glTF 2.0 including animation and import option menu, currently only supports mesh import no animation, fbx is cancer itself

we also need a new roadmap update, it hasnt received one since last year
virtual texturing, polygon modelling, in-engine animations tools, full vulkan support, python scripting, new unreal audio still experimental etc we have yet to hear more about these, they are probably being worked on but an update would be nice

oh yeah and more bugfixing!!! so many bugs left unfixed since forever

Stop bug-adding would work for me, though. It is silly that developers have to brace themselves each new release.

If you want new features, there will be new bugs, its how software works, at least until AI automated testing/fixing wil become real, if its just humans we are going to have bugs.
Although im not very fond of Epic’s development pace and strategy, why dont they have an LTS version? they have a very cheap version abandoning strategy, for instance 4.19.2 is that version the last why? is it bugfree ? ofc not, so new bugfixes should be upstreamed into an LTS version, and release an LTS version each 3-4 regular versions or once a year. That way when you start real development and lock into a specific version you can rest assured those pesky annoying bug fixes will get streamed back into your LTS for at least 2 years. Otherwise you will either have to fix the bugs yourself or move to new version in the mid of the development or after game is released? hahaha not going to happen, it never works.