Unreal Engine 4.20 Preview

Happened to me earlier, i noticed a lot of patches regarding Niagara on Epic github 4.20 branch since then, might come with preview 2 ?

this version support Real-Time Ray Tracing ] or not ?

Dude…

Would be great if the final release of 4.20 can address black edges too :slight_smile:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/112827-lightmass-multi-bounced-sky-lighting?p=1362102#post1362102

RectLight is totally broken when building lights with default settings. I have already made a bug report. There is minimal test case.

new DOF is really nice! I noticed a bug though: UE 4.20 crashes when trying to export PNG sequence from sequencer. Video exporting works fine.

Hi, does this release support the new ARkit 2.0 ? And 1.2 version of ARcore ?
Thanks.

Dude LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

Lod screensizes are bugged in 4.20. No matter what reduction settings you use. Automatically calculated lod distance are always powers of 0.75.(0.75 for lod1, 0.5625 for lod2, 0.421875 for lod3). So it seems that this calculating does not happen at all anymore.

The Steamworks 32-bit dll seems to be missing from the install, is this a mistake or is building projects with Steam support for 32-bit Windows no longer supported?

Dose next release (preview 2) will support ARKit 2.0? :slight_smile:

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad for posting it.

Amazing, Epic !

A few questions:

What happened to the new geometry editing tools? I saw that it was updated about a month ago. Is it on the back burner again ?

Is it for desktop only or for mobile/comsole VR too?

Is it only for vanilla mobile? Would it work with mobile VR (GLES2 for Gear VR and Oculus Go) ?

Thanks

I second the tools question

I don’t think so. It is a fact that Epic Games needs to fix too many bugs that continously appear on UE4 releases but they even stop the subversion hotfixes now and you are forced to upgrade to the next version which then gets either all new bugs or old bugs reappearing or both.
I really hope that the paid monthly Unreal Engine Studio won’t be the same at all. I would pay monthly for getting more features too but I really hope that at least that version will be far more reliable with less bugs and any bug quickly solved for paying customers. Although UE4 is not really free anyway for commercial use because anyone publishing a commercial game or app made with it has to pay the royalty fees to Epic Games. But still I hope Unreal Engine Studio is going to really be a premium version worth paying for to avoid too many bugs and issues.

Setup.bat installed something in the background without saying what it was and then restarted my machine without asking me.

what i would like is the full changelog of fixed bugs

I think you have a skewed vision of “free” and “open source”. Yeah, sure, commercially viable projects pay royalty fees. But it’s a drop in the bucket and very affordable and friendly. The engine is huge and with every release, we can expect new bugs along with new features. On top of that, some things get more stable and old bugs get squashed. Anyone who has been a developer or even designer/artist that actually *uses *a given platform, tool, engine, SDK, or whatever, for any amount of time is familiar with this cycle. It’s the nature of the beast.

It seems you don’t know what Unreal Studio is? It’s targeted at enterprise markets. Straight from the page: “Create stunning real-time visuals for architecture, product design and manufacturing. Unreal Studio drastically reduces iteration time through efficient transfer of CAD and 3ds Max data into Unreal Engine”. So, feel free to pay for that or whatever. It’s not going to change a whole lot, unless you are in the ArchViz, ProdViz, or similar markets. And if you were at that level in those industries, you would likely not be illogically grumbling, because you would be quite used to buggy tools :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to agree that your opinion on DoF was a bit unfounded. A lot of games use it, some badly, some quite well. With all the cinematic stuff being done with UE, a faster and higher quality DoF is a welcome addition. Along with all the other lovely bits. Don’t like it? Don’t use it. Just because a team of hundreds along with a community of thousands that also contribute are adding new features, doesn’t mean bugs aren’t being fixed. Some fixes get pushed back, others shuffled around. Again, it’s part of the scene. There are tons of us annoyed with bugs. It’s okay though- they eventually get fixed, because Epic and the community that has access to the source are awesome like that.

Then you’d have to wait for official non-preview release. That’s when Epic posts full changelog.

Apparently it doesn’t come with the updates for AR/XR. Handheld AR template is still the same as it was in 4.19 and the plugins version for ARCore/ARKit are 0.1 beta and 1.1 accordingly. Any info whether AR integrations will come in in a later previews ?