Unreal Engine 4.20 Preview

Will it be possible to code Blueprint thru Python ? And if yes would that be fully documented?

You mean actually build a Blueprint graph via Python (like you can with material graphs)?

Iā€™m not sure as that would really be up to the Blueprint team to create a scripting exposed API to build Blueprints (or you could make your own).

I think the reason itā€™s marked as wonā€™t fix is because it isnā€™t really broken, per-se. Now, Iā€™m not a graphics programmer, nor do I work for Epic, but what I think this comes down to is a fundamental difference between how the deferred and forward renderers achieve a final image.

The deferred renderer achieves a final image by rendering multiple separate layers of the image (base color, direct lighting, indirect lighting, reflections, ect.) and combining them into the final image that you see. This allows a lot of flexibility, but isnā€™t overly efficient. The forward renderer, on the other hand, is custom tuned to speed, doing those processes in a more rigid and efficient manner. This makes it difficult to use for fringe cases like stylized rendering, unless the renderer is written with that express purpose in mind (which Unrealā€™s forward renderer wasnā€™t.)

My guess is that the forward renderer is combining rendering passes that are usually separate in the deferred renderer in order to speed up rendering time, resulting in the aforementioned ā€œinterferenceā€ in the light attenuation texture. If Epic isnā€™t planning on doing anything about this, then itā€™s either because itā€™s not possible with how the forward renderer is coded, or because doing so would incur an unacceptable performance cost.

Thatā€™s just my guess though.

Iā€™m not a graphics programmer either, butā€¦

The data is still there (Hair, tail, ears), the only thing thatā€™s changed is that garbage data is also being fed into it on top of that. Itā€™s not a matter of it not being possible, itā€™s been there for several engine versions, and given that the data is still present I doubt itā€™s a matter of performance either otherwise it wouldā€™ve been cut out entirely.

vOv

Awesome - thanks for the link. How do you guys find these specific fixes without searching through commit notes manually??

EDIT: Also - Should be noted I fixed my by NOT including the ā€œCascadeā€ module as a dependency unless building for Editor.

I donā€™t. I submitted the bug request about this ā€œ.precompiledā€ errors in runtime modules: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-61215)

Awesome. Thankyou!

Is there an ETA for the release?

THESE ARE TWO ISSUES ABOUT UNREAL ENGINE CRASHES !!!

Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - ā€˜HUNGā€™) : : Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.19+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 182] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - ā€˜HUNGā€™)

GPU has crashed : : Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.19+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 819]
Rendering thread exception:
Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.19+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Query.cpp] [Line: 111]
GPU has crashed

The information has little to none on how to fix your. The correct way is to explain how to reproduce the error in steps and if possible to create a small project with it and submit. Also, posting here is not the proper channel, you need to use the following form: How To Report a Bug Guide

There still a bug in displaying yaw/pitch/roll info in 4K displays (look where Roll is printed). Windows 10, 4K monitor, scale 150%. It was working just fine in 4.16-18, but got totally screwed in 4.19. Got better in 4.20 but still incorrect.
BTW, I reported it in bug report couple months ago, but no idea if it made it thereā€¦

Iā€™m updating a personal project to UE4.20. I noticed a few changes happened with UNavigationSystem.

As per the deprecation comments in the code I converted everything to use FNavigationSystem::GetCurrent<UNavigationSystemV1>(UWorld *World)

Everything compiles now but Iā€™m getting link errors

2>VRCharacter.cpp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) private: static class UClass * __cdecl UNavigationSystemV1::GetPrivateStaticClass(void)" (__imp_?GetPrivateStaticClass@UNavigationSystemV1@@CAPEAVUClass@@XZ) referenced in function "private: void __cdecl AVRCharacter::UpdateDestinationMarker(void)" (?UpdateDestinationMarker@AVRCharacter@@AEAAXXZ)
2>VRCharacter.cpp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: bool __cdecl UNavigationSystemV1::ProjectPointToNavigation(struct FVector const &,struct FNavLocation &,struct FVector const &,struct FNavAgentProperties const *,class TSharedPtr<struct FNavigationQueryFilter const ,1>)" (__imp_?ProjectPointToNavigation@UNavigationSystemV1@@QEAA_NAEBUFVector@@AEAUFNavLocation@@0PEBUFNavAgentProperties@@V?$TSharedPtr@$$CBUFNavigationQueryFilter@@$00@@@Z) referenced in function "private: void __cdecl AVRCharacter::UpdateDestinationMarker(void)" (?UpdateDestinationMarker@AVRCharacter@@AEAAXXZ)

Iā€™m fairly new to UE4 and still figuring out lots of the build process. Accessing UNavigationSystemV1 directly doesnā€™t seem right. Iā€™m probably doing something wrong here.

Try adding ā€˜NavigationSystemā€™ to the PublicDependencyModuleNames list in your Build.cs

The Maya Live Link plugin doesnā€™t seem to be included in the Engine\Extras folder.

Has anybody been able to compile a plugin for 4.20?
I just finished updating a plugin and tried to rocket build it but it fails with the following errors (this has to do with the bug on Preview3 it seems):

C:\Users\DarkK\Documents\Unreal Projects\paperzd_builds\4_20\HostProject\Plugins\PaperZD\Source\PaperZD\PaperZD.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ā€˜C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\PaperZD\Publicā€™ does not exist.
C:\Users\DarkK\Documents\Unreal Projects\paperzd_builds\4_20\HostProject\Plugins\PaperZD\Source\PaperZD\PaperZD.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ā€˜C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\PaperZD\Public\AnimNodesā€™ does not exist.
C:\Users\DarkK\Documents\Unreal Projects\paperzd_builds\4_20\HostProject\Plugins\PaperZD\Source\PaperZD\PaperZD.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ā€˜C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\PaperZD\Public\Notifiesā€™ does not exist.
C:\Users\DarkK\Documents\Unreal Projects\paperzd_builds\4_20\HostProject\Plugins\PaperZD\Source\PaperZDEditor\PaperZDEditor.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ā€˜C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\PaperZDEditor\Publicā€™ does not exist.
Parsing headers for UE4Editor
Running UnrealHeaderTool UE4Editor ā€œC:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor.uhtmanifestā€ -LogCmds=ā€œloginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase errorā€ -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -installed
Reflection code generated for UE4Editor in 11.1038306 seconds
ERROR: The first include statement in source file ā€˜C:\Users\DarkK\Documents\Unreal Projects\paperzd_builds\4_20\HostProject\Plugins\PaperZD\Source\PaperZD\Private\AnimNodes\PaperZDAnimNode.cppā€™ is trying to include the file ā€˜PaperZDAnimNode.hā€™ as the precompiled header, but that file could not be located in any of the moduleā€™s include search paths.
(see C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Programs\AutomationTool\Saved\Logs\UBT-UE4Editor-Win64-Development.txt for full exception trace)
Took 42.2945424s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5

The first warnings are the same that appeared on the bug on Preview3
it seems is the same that @kamrann had. Just wanted to bump that up

Very excited about replication driver. More features to ease the implementation of scalable multiplayer support please!

Is anybody else experiencing Niagara modules just randomly losing properties that youā€™ve set?

I can set a property value - save and close the emitter asset, then reopen it and the property has been cleared.

Oh also - I just discovered the new UMG Rich Text Block system for 4.20 and the accompanying Image Decorator. Bloody awesome work on that one!

OMG yes! This makes me so happy! Been waiting for this.

How do you use this thing? It only seems to generate tiny purple dots when I tryā€¦