Unreal Engine 4.20 Preview

Sweet! The project generator for CLion appears to be fixed since Preview 4. The CMakeList is there and from what I’ve observed, I needed to launch CLion twice so that it can load the project structure.
A few things aren’t picked up from the code completion, like GetWorld()->GetDeltaSeconds() as an example. Nothing to be worried about.

Time to play more with it and see how the refactoring will work :smiley:

And that’s why, toghether with the bug report, I post it on answerhub bug session. So that others can help/be helped with discovered workarounds.

On Preview 5 materials are compiling very slowly. Even using XGE, only one ShaderCompileWorker instance is being launched at a time in IncrediBuild (Windows). I didn’t notice this slowdown in Preview 4.

Edit: I’ve also upgraded IncrediBuild, right after installing Preview 5, so it may or not be the cause.

why is this labeled won’t fix?

Because Fortnite doesn’t use Forward Renderer ? :rolleyes:

It doesn’t? I thought it did use the forward renderer at least on the Switch.

I think it’s only used in RoboRecall.

@Amanda.Bott When I click on the “Unresolved issues in 4.20 Preview targeted to be fixed by the 4.20 Release” link, it says"I tried but couldn’t find anything…". Something seems wrong there?

Bingo! It’s kinda sad to see VR rendering isn’t being developed further :frowning:

Well, given that, I’d also very much like to know why the isn’t being fixed. @Amanda.Bott or @ could anyone provide us with some info as to why Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-61513) is marked as “Won’t Fix”?

Edit:

The reason was edited into the page:

Doesn’t really say anything beyond re-iterating that they won’t fix it. Like I understand that it was a hacky way of retrieving the lighting info in a material, but as far as I’m aware it was the only way, and breaking it is a showstopper for anyone working with stylized lighting under forward rendering.

Can we please get a proper method of retrieving the lighting data in a material if this isn’t going to be fixed?

Can you confirm that you have updated both the Unreal Engine 4.20 and the Datasmith plugin to the latest version? During the Previews, both the engine and the plugin must be installed to the same version.

Excited to see Niagra, Mixed Reality, the new DoF system, and also the area lights.
What are the supported cameras and capture cards?

Will PS4 SDK 5.5 be supported in 4.20?

They weren’t all shared publicly. Check again and you’ll see the current list.

Are there any plans to add Python bindings to the Engine itself? From what I can see python is only currently available in Unreal Studio?

I’d love to see really.

Python is an editor , and isn’t limited to Studio (although Python in the 4.19 release was primarily to support Datasmith).

You should see some Python documentation for 4.20 (including API documentation) shortly.

Can we expect Dynamic Material Instance support in 4.20 for the Material Layer system?

AFAIK the PerInstanceRandom has always gotten reset when adding/removing foliage instances. Was there really a point where it wasn’t the case?
for this reason I don’t use PerInstanceRandom but a custom solution for randomness (based on worldposition of the object pivot, sampled on the vertex shader). but I understand if you’re using the SpeedTreeWind node that you can’t go around it :confused:

Hopefully, should be fixed in the next Preview. See this: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/90862090c73d8472956b154777d5dc534dd8f7d4