Unreal Engine 4.17 Released!

Where and how do I enable reflection occlusion?

Cheers,

>Added option to Play-in-Editor settings to not minimize editor when doing VR Preview. This allows for easier debugging of Blueprints in VR mode.

Best change this version. XD

We have found bug in hair rendering:

Another bug: saving levels often fails:

It can be consistently reproduced by clicking on a blueprint actor, raising it off the ground, and pressing the END key to snap it back to the ground, and then CTRL-S to save.

Pressing Continue “Apparently” works, but still gives a popup saying the save failed. I always click on something else and save again just to be sure.

Being a “compulsive saver”, this is really annoying! (it happens under other circumstances too, this is just an easy way to reproduce).

@Todd - it’s your project bug, restart PC, clean up saved folder, run again. I ve seen this glitch in 4.16

Thank you!

It’s still a bug, just harder to see how it’s reproduced. A bug perhaps in converting a 4.16 project .umap file to a 4.17 file.

So, what I did was select everything in the map and copy it. Then create a new empty level and load that level. Paste everything into the level. Finally remove the old level and rename the new level to the old name.

There was still a glitch (one object lost its references), but I deleted the object and re-added it to fix it. But the save issue no longer happens.

So, I can’t even get it to run. 4.16.3 runs fine. I thought it may have been the 4.16.3 project that I opened in 4.17.0. However, I can’t even create a new project. Here is a screenshot where I created a new Flying Template project… Any ideas? I have uninstalled 4.17.0 and reinstalled and have re-verified the install.

Apparently I can’t get the screenshot to upload… I shall return…

Ok, I just copied the text instead.

SEGV_MAPERR at 0x3

FGenericPlatformMisc::RaiseException(unsigned int) Address = 0x107c89c9b (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FOutputDeviceMacError::Serialize(wchar_t const*, ELogVerbosity::Type, FName const&) Address = 0x107ea125f (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FOutputDevice::Logf(wchar_t const*, …) Address = 0x107f8794d (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FDebug::AssertFailed(char const*, char const*, int, wchar_t const*, …) Address = 0x107eda81e (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FMetalRenderPipelineDesc::CreatePipelineStateForBoundShaderState(FMetalBoundShaderState*, FMetalHashedVertexDescriptor const&) const Address = 0x13c42551a (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FMetalBoundShaderState::PrepareToDraw(FMetalHashedVertexDescriptor const&, FMetalRenderPipelineDesc const&) Address = 0x13c3f0c92 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FMetalContext::PrepareToDraw(unsigned int, EMetalIndexType) Address = 0x13c3eaa28 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib]
FMetalRHICommandContext::RHIEndDrawPrimitiveUP() Address = 0x13c3d0408 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-MetalRHI.dylib]
DrawPrimitiveUP(FRHICommandList&, unsigned int, unsigned int, void const*, unsigned int) Address = 0x118957db9 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
FProjectedShadowInfo::RenderProjection(FRHICommandListImmediate&, int, FViewInfo const*, bool, bool) const Address = 0x1190b3ef7 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
FSceneRenderer::RenderShadowProjections(FRHICommandListImmediate&, FLightSceneInfo const*, IPooledRenderTarget*, bool, bool) Address = 0x1190b7cf4 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderShadowProjections(FRHICommandListImmediate&, FLightSceneInfo const*, IPooledRenderTarget*, bool&) Address = 0x1190b8396 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderLights(FRHICommandListImmediate&) Address = 0x118ab66c3 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render(FRHICommandListImmediate&) Address = 0x118963a11 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily(FCanvas*, FSceneViewFamily*)::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand::DoTask(ENamedThreads::Type, TRefCountPtr<FGraphEvent> const&) Address = 0x118fee3d0 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
TGraphTask<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily(FCanvas*, FSceneViewFamily*)::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand>::ExecuteTask(TArray<FBaseGraphTask*, FDefaultAllocator>&, ENamedThreads::Type) Address = 0x119052760 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Renderer.dylib]
FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) Address = 0x107cad1cf (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) Address = 0x107cac1d8 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FTaskGraphImplementation::ProcessThreadUntilRequestReturn(ENamedThreads::Type) Address = 0x107ca7f61 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
RenderingThreadMain(FEvent*) Address = 0x10e3fdcb1 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-RenderCore.dylib]
FRenderingThread::Run() Address = 0x10e4135d7 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-RenderCore.dylib]
FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() Address = 0x107d2bc90 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) Address = 0x107ccdb80 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-Core.dylib]
_pthread_body Address = 0x7fffc702793b (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
_pthread_body Address = 0x7fffc7027887 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
thread_start Address = 0x7fffc702708d (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]

Our team had to revert back to 4.16 after upgrading to 4.17 because it’s completely unstable on Linux. Normally we’re pretty confident in tackling these updates since we edit a lot of engine source code and can usually fix any issues we find, but after a few days of getting nowhere it was time to call it quits.

The memory updates broke Linux Server and provide different crashes in GenericPlatformMemory.cpp, LinuxPlatformMemory.cpp, or MallocBinned2.cpp depending on whether Async Loading and/or Event Driven Loading is enabled. It looks to me after reading some bug reports that some inexperienced developer overhauled the memory management to fix a specific issue with Linux and neglected to test the broader stability of their changes.

As if that’s not bad enough their CEF updates are also totally screwed up, even if I use the old libcef.so from 4.16 (which is the only binary that changed). I tried reverting the CEF and WebBrowser build target files to how they were in 4.16 and even compared commits between 4.16 and 4.17 in the WebBrowser dependency and UnrealCEFSubprocess project to no avail.

Long story short, whoever worked on the Linux updates for this version wasted a few days of our time and should really be more careful making such major updates. Perhaps they should consider consulting with more experienced developers first.

I’m looking at getting set up with engine source and moving away from the prepackaged builds. Can I PM you a question or two about your team’s experiences?

wow! you guys are great!! i really love u guys! lol :smiley:

Are there any example projects on the new Project Tango support with 4.17? Cant find any example projects in the release, or any docs. So for now I’m just browsing Googles own C docs

Just got hold of the Asus Zenphone AR and it would be greate to get started. Thank you!

great update and good work
however i cant get artv1 to install from marketplace (bug?)
or should i be using artv2
cheers

Hello ,

From looking at the screenshot, this seems to be the new feature working as expected. If you believe that this pin should be valid and the pin shouldn’t of been orphaned (Where it would previously just been broken), please create an Answerhub post in the Bug Reports section with as much information that you can provide about reproducing this issue.

Hello spaceharry,

Thank you for the report. We would like to gather more information about this issue and see if we can reproduce it. Can you please make an Answerhub post about this issue in the Bug Reports section and provide as much information as you can about reproducing the issue? After entering the Answerhub post, please post a link to it here so we can immediately take a look.

Hey spidershift,

Thank you for the report. We would like to gather more information about this issue and see if we can reproduce it. Can you please make an Answerhub post about this issue in the Bug Reports section and provide as much information as you can about reproducing the issue? After entering the Answerhub post, please post a link to it here so we can immediately take a look.

Hello ayretek,

We’ve seen this locally with a few user submitted projects but aren’t sure of a reproduction at this time. Can you please make an Answerhub post for this issue with as much information that you have about how to reproduce this issue, possibly in a fresh project? Please leave a link to the Answerhub post here as well so we know that you’ve entered it.

Hi All,

Has anyone been able to find the sample Compuser Compositing project?

I’ve got the plugin activated and all, but not sure where to find it…

Hello SAMBUEV,

Have you previously reported this bug that you’re mentioning? If so, can you link to that report? If not, can you please enter an Answerhub post in the Bug Reports section with as much information as you can provide on how to reproduce this issue? Please let us know here if you make a post.

Still can’t start packaged dev game in 4.17… same bug as in preview 1-2-3

192671-crash1.jpg

So far no way of fixing this. I’ve tried adding new nodes, and refreshing all nodes in every UMG/Widget asset in the entire project, still nothing.

Is there a good reason why we can no longer have valid ASCII characters in our comments? The “copyright” character © is in the table for a reason. I posted about this in the preview and the problem is still there. And yes, it is a problem that a compiler can’t ignore comment strings.