Unreal Engine 4.17.1 Intializing, Loading, and Compiling Extremely Slow

I’ve recently migrated to Unreal for game development; however, using my laptop is extremely slow.

Initializing and loading any project takes on upwards to ten minutes. This issues persists even for simple, empty projects. When I attempt to build and compile a Visual Studio solution, the initial compile generally takes about ten to fifteen minutes and all subsequent builds will take 6 to 10 minutes (360 to 600 seconds).

As I understand it, my current computer specs are slowing the process - but I don’t believe it should be to such an extent. The speed does not improve by recompiling the project.

My current specs:
CPU: Intel i5 5200U (2 cores @ 2.20GHz),
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500,
Memory: 6 GB,
Storage: 1TB HDD

Task Manager diagnostics:
Unreal Projects will often use 30% of the available memory.
Unreal Projects and Visual Studio will often cap disk transfer bandwidth.
Unreal Projects and Visual Studio will often utilize 30% of the processor.

I’m not aware of how to gather the logs and data, but I would be willing to share these as well if it could be eplained to me how to do so.

The core solution to my issue would be to improve the loading and compiling times.

Thank you.

Welcome to the club. Sometimes its completely unnaceptable. Working with landscapes is a total pain, compiling every single shader every 20 seconds with any tiny change you make (i thought this was fixed in previous UE versions… oh well why im surprised)… several hours to just make a landscape material. Incredible. Not to mention, the loading times sometimes when loading project that are not touched since ages ago, 30 minutes of clock loading the project. Amazing. I wish i could know what the hell is happening lol.

About the specs, your specs are really low, i must agree. But i have a better computer than you and im still suffering the same problems, even worst. When prior to 4.17 and 4.16.3 i didnt have so many problems in this matter. I even released more virtual memory just in case that was the problem, but its even worst now… so im completely out of ideas.