Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview

I gave up hope for Volumetric Lighting in UE.
You guys never fail to amaze me. Thank you guys :slight_smile:

It’s doable using Nvidia volumetric lighting.
I agree though. Build in solution needs to be less physically accurate and more controllable.

Any news on these ones?

Great update as always!
Thanks Epic!

I can’t tell you how long I’ve been waiting for proper volumetric fog support to come to UE4 and couldn’t be happier :smiley:

NOW YOU’RE THINKING WITH PORTALS!

But seriously what a brilliant suggestion as think of the endless possibilities that open up if such a feature were to be made available :open_mouth:

Couldn’t find this bug in there. Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-43093) PLEASE!
Also this, if you can get it in 4.16 release: SSS is affected by Skylight. Shouldn't be - World Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums As all foliage right now is looking wrong in shadows.

What happened to the USD plug from Pixar.?

Mmm, nice!

where is tools Cloth Paint?

Great preview! Where can I find documentation about the new audio mixer and the Steam Audio SDK integration?

So glad to see volumetric fog included now! =)

Any new forward renderer improvements?

I was able to make it work with skel mesh from Engine content.

http://i.imgur.com/TY8RuK0m.png

You need to:

• Add control rig component to your skel mesh,
  • In control rig select Base Human,
  • Then in Modes select Animation,
  • Then Select Skel Mesh you want to control,
  • Create new Sequence,

And you should get what I have on the screen.

Hope we can export data from sequence to Animation Sequence and be able to run it using AnimBlueprint. This would be super great for all people prototyping new features depending on poses/animations.

Edit: Yes you can export! Thanks Epic!

For everyone using the Git Source Control Provider Plugin (and for those asking if I am still working on it;) here are the Pull Requests merged in this Preview version :

Enjoy!

What happened with the volumetric lights are here or ?

From what I see from the volumetric fog point isn’t the expected quality so ?

Is not new the games uses “Volumetric Effects” for lights usually in indoors etc, so don’t see the point I have to put Fog in the scene to have volumetric effects…

In this version the “Cloth Paint” is there?

Great news for GearVR developers! Thanks guys! However will OpenGL ES3.1 still be available only in source version of the engine?

Great stuff team!! I’m going to try and port my music generator project I made using the master branch to this preview build as the engine crashes when I add a create dynamic material instance in BP and feed a material instance to the input and it’ll be easier to convert to stable builds in the future…

The volumetric fog is awesome, looks incredible on a sunrise/sunset:

You guys never cease to amaze me!! :slight_smile:

The new in-editor animation tools are in this release. We aren’t calling them out as they are currently in a very experimental state, but all the features that we were aiming for (including baking to anim sequences) are included. We would love to hear your feedback!

As to binding to your mesh, once the plugin is enabled, you will need to open the new “Control Rig” tab in the skeletal mesh editor to set up bindings to your mesh.

The Volumetric fog stuff was certainly worth the wait and now I can embrace UE4 properly. I’ve been playing with it for a few weeks using the github version but now I have a lot to learn about the rest of UE4 in order to get results. But even as a relative UE4 novice it’s all rather impressive, well done!