Unreal Engine 4.15 Preview

Couldn’t you set the material to High Quality Reflection for those objects that needed it? I did that at our project and it looks all fine. No problems with ugly reflections at all.

Meaning up to 50% faster in case I’m making a C++ project, for example? 'Cause that was what I was talking about, and it’s huge, is it not?

Meaning 50% faster compilation of your C++ project. So, yes, it’s huge. If you waste ~30 seconds waiting for things to compile when you push the button now, then you should only waste ~15 seconds waiting for things to compile in 4.15, according to the theory.

The speedtree node seems to be a bit broken in 4.15:

Most probably one also has to modify their precompiled header to include only the related UE4 headers…
IMO, you should fit an SSD - it speeds up the build process tremendously. Previously, yes many times you were left wondering what the heck is happening… I pressed Ctrl+Shift+B… nothing seems to be running… and often, it took more than 1 minute to see build text printing in the output window… With SSD it just builds…

But then, I also have VC2005 installed in my machine - I tried to build my old project with it, it is simply wayy faster… lol. Much like turbo pascal vs turbo c 2.0 in my teen years…

Could we get a confirmation whether or not we’ll see some more documentation regarding GameplayTags by the time 4.15 comes out?

The documentation for Gameplay Tags will not yet be available by the time of the 4.15 release. They will be in progress and ready some time afterwards.

Cheers

The note said Engine compilation, not Project compilation. You may see some improvement w.r.t your project build times, but I believe the win is for people who compile the engine themselves.

I had a brief look at using the Logitech G29 steering wheel (ps3/ps4/pc version, slider set to ps4/pc) with the Raw Input plugin.

I created a clean project with 4.15, enbled the plugin and restarted editor.

Then I started a PIE, opened console and ran: showdebug input

The numbers seem to indicate that it senses changes to (most) buttons and axis.
But when pressing and holding a button, I get like one frame where text shows a ‘1’ for that button and then it goes back to ‘0’
Axis are also a bit finnicky in that the output changes when pressing pedals, but values are also only shown for a frame or so before returning to ‘0’

This was with and without drivers installed.

Is this intended behaviour?
Is there anything else I need to do?

When using the virtual joystick vJoy, the button is indicated as ‘1’ until it is released and then it returns to ‘0’.

I have not put anything in DefaultInput.ini

Colors seem to be wrong in 4.15P1:

Thank you for the info!

The UE4 Trello road map page has mixed reality capability set to release in January or February. Any update on that? Also, any that Paper2D Sprites will become stereoscopic capable in the near future? Thanks!

The roadmap tells us about the development period, not a release date. So here you should not expect a release before UE4.16, but it could even slip further to 4.17, depending on the time it takes to integrate it into master.

SetKeyboardFocus doesn’t work

Any news on this? I can’t package Google VR projects for distribution and that’s THE dealbreaker for mobile VR :frowning:

UPDATE!

We have just released Preview 2 for 4.15! Thank you for your continued help in testing the 4.15 build before its official release. As a reminder, the Preview builds are for testing only, and should not be used for the active development of your project.

For a list of known issues affecting this latest preview, please follow the links provided on the first post in this thread.

Cheers!

Fixed in Preview 2 - CL 3269047

Fixed! UE-40739 FSupportedAreaData Not Being Exported
Fixed! UE-40428 Cannot add set/map variables to user defined structs
Fixed! UE-40131 BP child not overriding parent’s mesh in Nativized builds
Fixed! UE-40616 Unable to load XMPP module warning upon opening the editor
Fixed! UE-40751 Selecting the Clean or Rebuild options for a project in Visual Studio does not complete successfully
Fixed! UE-39968 Shaders are compiled for Engine on first launch after fresh download
Fixed! UE-37873 Crash: Corrupt asset/map data is no longer correctly detected and handled
Fixed! UE-39677 SpeedTree Billboards rendering with Incorrect Material
Fixed! UE-40943 ‘Wait for Movies to Complete’ flag is Reversed in Packaged and Standalone Game
Fixed! UE-40293 Dropdown selection box jitters when mouse is moved over top of it on
Fixed! UE-40276 Unable to go fullscreen in Standalone Game
Fixed! UE-40492 Crash after ejecting from PIE session and selecting a component in the details panel
Fixed! UE-40313 Window Switcher does not open and focus on Message Log
Fixed! UE-40640 Importing skeletal mesh with LODs and no animations generates additional skeleton and physics assets
Fixed! UE-40851 Post-Process “Dirt Mask Intensity” is nested within Bloom instead of Dirt Mask
Fixed! UE-40538 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_Core!FText::FText() [text.cpp:165]
Fixed! UE-40814 “Combine Meshes” Breaks Material Slot Assignment
Fixed! UE-40612 GitHub 3131 : UE-40567: Added nullcheck to FSplinePointDetails
Fixed! UE-40567 Editor crashes when BP spline component is selected
Fixed! UE-40855 Custom font reverts to default font in a packaged game
Fixed! UE-38930 HISMC always shows lowest LOD
Fixed! UE-40730 Compiling vehicle feature pack generates compile warnings
Fixed! UE-40647 Map load errors after adding C++ Vehicle or VehicleAdvanced pack to a project
Fixed! UE-40960 Child Actor does not get BeginPlay if SetClass used inside Parent’s BeginPlay
Fixed! UE-40505 Child Actor component is duplicated in Standalone Game
Fixed! UE-40939 Inconsistent line ending prompts occur in Visual Studio after adding Vehicle C++ feature pack
Fixed! UE-40768 SubwaySequencer crashes when launched in Standalone Game
Fixed! UE-40654 Render Movie using separate process crashes capture process
Fixed! UE-40852 ModifyCurve node does not call init/update on SourcePose nodes
Fixed! UE-40850 Packaged VehicleGame loses in game music and other audio elements after selecting restart track via pause menu
Fixed! UE-40614 “Clothing” options do not appear after importing an apx made with the 3.4 plugin
Fixed! UE-40716 Cloth environment collisions with APEX clothing is not thread safe.
Fixed! UE-40911 Possible crash reimporting destructible assets
Fixed! UE-40785 Controller vibration occurs when simulating in viewport if an actor has a force feedback component regardless of attenuation distance.
Fixed! UE-40700 Raw Input debug info doesn’t display axis properties until input is made
Fixed! UE-40418 Procedural meshes spawned at runtime cause a crash
Fixed! UE-39819 Line Trace Does Not Register Hit On Bottom Of Landscape
Fixed! UE-40764 changing physics type to simulated causes bodies to simulate in phat
Fixed! UE-39703 MediaFramework MultiTrack on Windows failing to play correct media
Fixed! UE-40644 Editor locks up on Windows 7 when attempting to play media
Fixed! UE-40709 PlatformMediaSources fail to load in the editor.
Fixed! UE-39701 App crashes on launch on tvOS/iOS
Fixed! UE-40840 Vulkan crashes on Adreno Galaxy S7
Fixed! UE-40659 Sequencer fails to package during Build command for ASTC
Fixed! UE-40934 StrategyGame Crash on iOS when launching on
Fixed! UE-40658 Textures black when Vulkan packaged for ETC1
Fixed! UE-40698 QAGame Crashes on launch on iphone 6 (iOS 8)
Fixed! UE-39110 FOnlineSessionLive leaves inconsistent state when FindSessions or CreateSession fail.
Fixed! UE-40649 XboxOne: Crash in ShooterGame when joining a Quick Match
Fixed! UE-38790 Opening Persona causes editor to crash on Linux
Fixed! UE-40798 UI_BUILD_SHIPPING_EDITOR not defined warning occurs when building for Android
Fixed! UE-40472 Joystick is missing from projects on certain iOS devices
Fixed! UE-36999 Warnings displayed when launching the editor in DX12
Fixed! UE-40803 Crash after entering DebugCreatePlayer console command on Sierra in -game
Fixed! UE-40690 Integrate fix for potential crash
Fixed! UE-40942 Editor crashed when opening TM-MeshPaint in QAGame
Fixed! UE-40781 [CrashReport] crash in FMinimalDummyForwardLightingResources
Fixed! UE-39734 Error maximum ps_5_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded on some materials in InfiltratorForward
Fixed! UE-40727 Certain materials are failing to compile in sample projects
Fixed! UE-40467 LogRenderer errors produced when using the restore button in viewport
Fixed! UE-40915 GPU Particles flicker when using 2 Nvidia GPUs in SLI
Fixed! UE-40891 Add GPU stat for compute morph targets
Fixed! UE-40847 Editor crashes on launch with Intel graphics on El Cap
Fixed! UE-40863 Editor crashes on when launching with the command -MacExplicitRenderer=0
Fixed! UE-40842 ContentExamples crashes on Metal when pressing the button for Example 2.3 in UMG.umap
Fixed! UE-40900 Right side of viewport renders black in stereoscopic
Fixed! UE-38615 Editor crashes when exporting emitters while in PIE
Fixed! UE-37908 [CrashReport] UE4Editor_SlateCore!FReply::FReply() [reply.h:244]
Fixed! UE-39658 Forward Shading: Scene Capture 2D crash when assigning a RGB Capture Source
Fixed! UE-40830 Multiple Post Processing displays are not working in Content Examples - Post Processing
Fixed! UE-40926 Shadow artifacts in Content Examples due to bad light maps
Fixed! UE-40890 ContentExamples: Character_Rendering Misspelling of “of” on the intro stand
Fixed! UE-40825 Misspellings in Material_Properties level of ContentExamples
Fixed! UE-40819 Misspelling in Material Nodes level of ContentExamples
Fixed! UE-40928 ContentExamples: UMG stand 1.2 mispelling of useful as “userful”
Fixed! UE-40882 ContentExamples: Volumes Example 1.5 “This Volumes” is improper grammar
Fixed! UE-40870 ContentExamples: Animation Stand 1.10 after unpossessing character the camera spawns too low causing a pop when moving again
Fixed! UE-40887 Content Examples: Blueprints_Overview Stand 1.7 Spark particle system does not fire from coin
Fixed! UE-40916 Able to see cut off landscape in SunTemple in VR
Fixed! UE-40642 New Visibility Track creates an offset Visible(0) track in Sequencer
Fixed! UE-40082 Level Visibilty track in Sequencer does not play in PIE
Fixed! UE-40487 Tracks remain collapsed when adding audio/animations
Fixed! UE-40570 GPU work performed between PostPresentHandoff and WaitGetPoses
Fixed! UE-39654 Crash when launching Google VR project
Fixed! UE-40683 GearVR projects rendering black
Fixed! UE-39304 Crash in Forward Renderer DX11 RHI Impl when using VR PIE
Fixed! UE-40790 COTF has issues with out-of-source projects

REMEMBER: Please report any new bugs you find by following the How To Report a Bug Guide

Thanks for all your hard work Guys, I had a feeling there would be the second preview. I cant wait to port my project over, when 4.15 is official. I have a feeling thats the last update before we release.

-Cheers

Assuming nothing unforeseen causes delays, we plan to still have two more updated previews before release.

Cheers

Hehe. My guess is that get to Preview 6! :cool:

Nice fixes for mobile VR :slight_smile: