Unreal Engine 4.15 Preview

I’m guessing this means we wont need to play with the default engine.ini or command lines for streaming pool size anymore?

I’ve heard talk that this change didn’t make it into 4.15:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/af9d6262473492e4e9850133a128c95663ebb5be

But it is already in 4.14. Just wanted to make sure this doesn’t get lost in the cracks.

Idk why the forums doesn’t have a dancing Smiley face :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the heads up, once the download is done, I’ll give it a try, I was so interested when I saw it during the live stream. It really saves a HUGE work around that I was counting on for a while.

-m

LOL :smiley:

Hopefully it should be a pretty easy transition. The plugin is enabled by default, but if you are using vehicle classes in C++ you will need to add a dependency to the PhysXVehicle module to your Build.cs file, so the build system knows about it. The only thing that might need manual work is converting from TireType to TireConfig assets. Here are my draft notes on the topic:

Note: a manual step is required if you want to migrate old ‘TireType’ assets (deprecated in Engine) to the new ‘TireConfig’ assets (defined in the new PhysXVehicles plugin). There is a new console command available in the UE4 Editor that will do this for you - simply summon the console and enter ‘ConvertTireTypes’. This will create new TireConfig assets, copy over properties, and assign them to any VehicleWheel Blueprints. The old TireType assets can then be removed.

In the old system the PhysicalMaterial had a list of TireTypes and their friction scale. Now the TireConfig has a list of PhysicalMaterials with friction scale for each. This is because Engine (which contains the PhysicalMaterial class) cannot depend on classes in the PhysXVehicles plugin.

4.15 is still using the old unreleasable googlevr (daydream) plugin :frowning:

Google requirements now require some features that are only in the newer versions of their plugin:
publishing requirements: Daydream App Quality Requirements  |  Google VR  |  Google Developers
changelog: https://developers.google.com/vr/unreal/release-notes now up to version 1.10!

Does that mean daydream devs are stuck on 4.13 and the official UE4 builds stay without publishable daydream support? Or can we please get it in 4.15?!?

Great update!

I’ve got a question: What’s the difference between “(Experimental) Content Hot-Reloading” and “Auto Reimport” (Editor Preferences -> General -> Loading & Saving)?

Thanks

Uuh oh blur is amazing!
Huuuuuuuuuge thanks for that feature!

Content hot reloading allows you to reload your already existing Unreal assets that may have changed on disk while the editor is open. With this feature you do not need to restart the editor to reload your content from disk. The most common use case for this is syncing new content from source control. Previously you had to restart the editor for your content to update.

Auto-Reimport detects changes to import format files such as FBX for meshes, or png for textures, and update the asset from source.

Hi,
judging from UE 4.15 github branch seems also not mentioned is new “HDR monitor/TV support on Nvidia via NVAPI on Windows”…
previously avaiable from HDR for UE4 | NVIDIA Developer
so it’s working in first preview?
thanks…

This feature is most welcome, I’ll have to test it with the Git plugin.

• Sync (“Pull”) the current branch to get server changes
  • Revert a Blueprint
  • Merge a Blueprint
  • Revert any other kind of assets (Material, Mesh, Map…)

Oh man…Nativization of blueprints finally appears to be working flawlessly with code plugins, all of my blueprints using plugin interfaces nativized without issue when testing packaging.

Is this wiki page on how to link library still relevant for 4.14 and 4.15 ?

This is shaping up to be my kind of release!!!

**Stuff That Affects Me
FIXED/BETTER STUFF for 4.15preview1

Maps & sets!!!
Compilation speedups!!!
Stable blueprint nativization!!!
Experimental content hot reloading!!!
Other fixes!!!
No huge new features!!!

UNCHANGED ISSUES for 4.15preview1

UE-39294[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333] - [/COLOR][/COLOR]Menus don’t update on [COLOR=#333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]UEDOC-4307 - [/COLOR]Android Quickstart - Incorrect about Java Versions

NEW ISSUES for 4.15preview1

unassigned - Crash - 4.15.0preview1 during “Open a copy” of a project on

CAN’T TEST ISSUES – because the engine is too crashy to open my 4.14 project. I’ll try them again when preview2 comes out.

UE-37428[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333] - [/COLOR][/COLOR]Certain BP class properties keep losing value](Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-39294))UE-39464[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333] - [/COLOR][/COLOR]GetPlatform node returns “IOS” on tvOS
UE-39501[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333] - [/COLOR][/COLOR]tvOS package for distribution fails to find valid certificate and valid provision
[COLOR=#333333]UE-40545 - [/COLOR]Uploading tvOS project: ERROR ITMS-90513 & ITMS-90471
unassigned - tvOS “Missing Image Asset”
[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]unassigned - [/COLOR][/COLOR]Valid Development Provision and Certificate ignored for tvOS
[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]unassigned - [/COLOR][/COLOR]What is waking up my physics?

Any reason why navigated classes have weird classnames?

http://puu.sh/tr9tR/1f7801672a.png

Seems to be crashing the game on startup with it enabled too.

Logs don’t really give me anything either.

Awesome guys, I got up and started dancing when I read 25-50% faster compiling times!

Keep up the great work!

OH MY F**KING GOODNESS…whatttttttttttttttttt… Seriously?! We can now Get Latest from Perforce without closing Editor!!! Too bad this is Preview 1…

Any more supported forward shading features? Like SSR, SSAO, Contact Shadows.

I was close to using the forward renderer in our projects, the only thing that let it down for us was the reflections.

Can we get working project generation when only Visual Stduio 2017 is installed ?