Unreal Engine 4.11 Preview

Setting foliage to static is fine, but how do you handle grass ? You can’t have lightmass light the grass becuase of the vast amount of memory that would consume, so currently my only option is to make grass dynamic, so that lightmass ignores grass.

I seam to remember a setting in UDK to make lightmass ignore an object which would be perfect, but I can’t find in in U4.

[=]
Setting foliage to static is fine, but how do you handle grass ? You can’t have lightmass light the grass becuase of the vast amount of memory that would consume, so currently my only option is to make grass dynamic, so that lightmass ignores grass.

I seam to remember a setting in UDK to make lightmass ignore an object which would be perfect, but I can’t find in in U4.

Can’t you set it to dynamic while baking and then set it to static afterwards? You’ll get the warning to rebuild lightmaps, but that can be turned off.

[=Frepp73;462767]
Can’t you set it to dynamic while baking and then set it to static afterwards? You’ll get the warning to rebuild lightmaps, but that can be turned off.

@Frepp73, its a workaround, but I’d still prefer the option for Lightmass to ignore static objects.

I love modeling my favorite characters

Hi,

Any update on UE-25066 (crash - when stereo panoramic movie capture plugin is enabled)

[=;462559]
Just “-2015” actually :wink:

Yes, it was in 4.9 but in 4.10 VS2015 was set to default and in 4.11 as the same as 4.9

[=]

you can still have dynamic lighting with static objects, they don’t need to be moveable

Is Android Debugging in VS2015 supported yet? It’s been nearly 7 months since VS2015 came out, and we still can’t attach the debugger in 4.10…

Oh and:

[=gameDNA ;462525]

1. Download source code from .
  2. Run Setup.bat
  3. Run GenerateProjectFiles.bat
  4. And it generates VS2013 .sln file at this stage.

I’m using VS2015 Community.

I can confirm this as well. Additionally, Using ‘Generate Project Files’ on any .uproject file associated with that version of the engine also generates a VS 2013 .sln file.

[=;462834]
I can confirm this as well. Additionally, Using ‘Generate Project Files’ on any .uproject file associated with that version of the engine also generates a VS 2013 .sln file.

Do you happen to have VS2013 installed on your computer ? I had to uninstall it so that UE4 generates 2015 projects.

[=;462843]
Do you happen to have VS2013 installed on your computer ? I had to uninstall it so that UE4 generates 2015 projects.

I don’t have installed VS2013 and it generates VS2013 .sln which can be opened by VS2015 in compatibility mode.

Hi,
I ran into this error trying to install the 4.11.3 preview and 4.11.4 preview. It seems to not like something about my system related to VS2015. I’m not sure what this could be since I upgraded this for 4.10 and have been compiling things on my Windows 10 system just fine. Hope these screen snapshots help in finding the bug. Basically the end result is after downloading the entire 3.2G file and attempting to install, I get a failure message saying that some prerequisite file hasn’t been installed. Note that 4.11.2 installed just fine.

???

Well, it seems it doesn’t like my screenshots this morning. I will attempt to fix this this evening when I return from work.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7_FRT-laK3KSGIwVlBxY0NlMFk

Meh. Android packaging is beyond messed up.

.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?98878-How-do-we-re-enable-Android-Debugging-in-4-10&p=462882#post462882

Quick bug report: Wanted to try the new “instanced stereo” for VR. Created a new test project with starter content, activated that option, pressed ‘restart’.
Now the project doesn’t load anymore, stuck at 45% for 3 minutes or so.

EDIT: It’s ok now, after about 4 minutes the project loaded successfully.

[=Demolition Man;462868]
Hi,
I ran into this error trying to install the 4.11.3 preview and 4.11.4 preview. It seems to not like something about my system related to VS2015. I’m not sure what this could be since I upgraded this for 4.10 and have been compiling things on my Windows 10 system just fine. Hope these screen snapshots help in finding the bug. Basically the end result is after downloading the entire 3.2G file and attempting to install, I get a failure message saying that some prerequisite file hasn’t been installed. Note that 4.11.2 installed just fine.

???

Well, it seems it doesn’t like my screenshots this morning. I will attempt to fix this this evening when I return from work.

There is a note about this on the Wiki. You need to make sure you install the VC++ support files which in 2015 is an optional install task, but was part of the install in 2013.

[=;462817]
you can still have dynamic lighting with static objects, they don’t need to be moveable

Yes but unless you tell lightmass to ignore the object, you will get static as well. If you statically light allot of grass you will run out of RAM very quick !

So I need to tell lightmass to ignore my grass.

I’ve been having an issue cooking my project since the first preview build where it basically gets stuck cooking a single asset for hours on end and it never finishes. Before 4.11 my cook times were less than 5 minutes, so I don’t think it’s anything on my end. I made an Answerhub post here: Cook never finishes - Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums

If preview 4 is primarily focused on bug fixes, does that mean if it proves stable we could see a release soon ? or is that too optimistic ?

All the previews after the first one are just bug fixes.

[=;463016]
There is a note about this on the Wiki. You need to make sure you install the VC++ support files which in 2015 is an optional install task, but was part of the install in 2013.

Thank you for the enlightenment! I will give that a try.

[=;]
Quick bug report: Wanted to try the new “instanced stereo” for VR. Created a new test project with starter content, activated that option, pressed ‘restart’.
Now the project doesn’t load anymore, stuck at 45% for 3 minutes or so.

EDIT: It’s ok now, after about 4 minutes the project loaded successfully.

Enabling instanced stereo requires recompiling all shaders. It can take a while :slight_smile: