Last night I was working on my project and everything was going great! I’m nearing completion on the game I’m working on, and while play-testing, the development computer I use had a “thermal event” (I call it) and shut down. (There’s no AC in the place where I work, so this is not uncommon. I just leave the PC off for a while then resume my work. I usually use t.MaxFPS 30 and keep my development window in wireframe just to minimize the heat generation as much as possible.)
Anyway, today I woke up to discover that the PC was powered up. (I did not do this, so Windows must have done something overnight. That’s usually what makes things like this happen.)
But now, when I load into the editor, everything seems to be locked down at 8 FPS. The entire editor. Everything. The rest of windows seems fine and not sluggish at all.
There was a 5.8.3 update to the engine (I previously was on 5.8.2) so I decided to try that. No change.
I can’t work like this, and it just happened overnight. Nothing new was loaded or added. Just the PC shutting down unexpectedly. (Everything was saved, and I was in an extended play-test when it happened.)
Checked my NVIDIA drivers. (RTX 3080) and they’re all up to date. I updated last week, I think.
I tried issuing several t.MaxFPS settings, but nothing matters. And, as I said, it’s not just the game, it’s the entire editor. It’s almost completely unusable at this laggyness.
Has anyone else experienced this?? And is there any solution?
Thanks!
-Marc
NOTE: I also want to mention that it’s a hard 8.00 FPS. I see the FPS head upwards, then it slows and stays at exactly 8.00.