Unreal Editor Manual Improvement

Hello, I’ve been looking through the online Editor Manual and I want to suggest that you update the Unreal Editor’s index (Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation) with all of the pages that you have created in the manual, there are a lot of loose hanging links that you cannot access from the index, rather you need to either search for that specific header in the search bar or you need to find the link embedded within the documentation.

For people new to engine who might not know what they want to look for this is rather detrimental. I believe most people would prefer a heavy, dense but complete manual index, over a quick look type index (which you guys have already set up through the quick-start pages).

For a quick list of some of the pages I have found that aren’t referenced by the index see the following:

Details Panel - Level Editor Details Panel in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
Place Mode - Select Mode in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
Mesh Paint User Guide - Mesh Paint Mode in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
Scene Outliner - Outliner in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
Layers Panel User Guide - Layers Panel in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation
Main Menu Bar - Unreal Editor Interface | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

I would also suggest that you add at the end of a page a way to navigate to the next page in the manual (assuming that you add in all of the free-floating pages).

Also perhaps a button that allows you to send a quick message directed at a particular point in the page, where users can suggest either feedback (Things like, “Could you add a link here”) or send grammar/bug fixes (Such as, “These editor images are now out of date”).

Alright, it also seems that the Blueprints section of the documentation is split between the two branches:

Unreal Engine 4 Documentation > Unreal Editor Manual > Blueprints Visual Scripting > Etc.
and
Unreal Engine 4 Documentation > Blueprints Visual Scripting > Etc.

You can’t actually get a link to the second one through the tree hierarchy because it redirects you to the root of the first one ( UE4 Documentation > Unreal Editor Manual > Blueprints Visual Scripting), that representation of the documentation structure is a bit confusing to say the least.

I would suggest adding the entirety of the blueprints documentation to the index of the manual, or creating a full list of the blueprints documentation else where if you think that would be appropriate.

At this link:

Under Window > Unreal Frontend > Device Manager
In the description, change “Opoen the Device Manager tab.” To “Open the Device Manager tab.”

Hey ,

Thanks for pointing out the missing links. That page is populated manually and so we may have missed a few links.

The multiple Blueprint section issue you found is more of an illusion than reality. It’s most likely just the breadcrumbs at the top of the page missing a level in the hierarchy since there is truly only a single Blueprint section. Can you point out which page(s) have are missing the Unreal Editor Manual link in the breadcrumbs?

I was going thru the tut for UMG and found it is for pre 4.5 release… things have changed and it is hard to puzzle out some of the new piece. Since 4.5 was released on 10.13 I can understand not being updated yet. Any idea when UMG UI Designer Quick Start Guide | Unreal Engine Documentation will be updated? Steps 1 and 2 are both outdated. Step 1 is not a biggee, step 2 is un needed and then step 5 is vague, ( connect it to a Float - Float node (set to .25)…) I think it should be more granular, ( Right click P energy under the word set and choose math then choose “Float - Float node” and set the value to .25) Since is it a Tut and meant for new users, better step by step instructions would be more helpful. IMHO. :slight_smile:

REading Forums and found a post with this link in it.

AWESOME link… answered a number of questions I had.
Many thanks to user that posted it.
I recommend subscribing to this as the UR team seems to have a number of vids here.

The UMG documentation is being updated right now. The user guide is done and the quick start should be finished early next week. Everything should be updated online by the middle of the week at the latest.

Awesome… thank you for the fast reply .

It seems to be done and looks AWESOME.