Unreal Editor in VR - Official megathread

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image//s--Khpc8vGa--/1513286462932393800.gif

This is what I was thinking of, but didn’t have the gif on hand.

I figured as much (would probably require having “on demand” PhysX simulation Scenes separate from the main one or something). A whole-world Simulate would be plenty good enough for my taste, though :slight_smile:

We are thinking about something similar, still have to test it in VR and the implementation should also be usable for other controllers

Hey , thanks for sharing this it looks amazing.

Can you share the specs of the computer you used for the demo?

Thanks!

Oh thank you!

It is just my regular development PC that I dragged over to our Twitch streaming room. It’s a 6-core Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz (almost 2 years old) with a single NVIDIA GTX 980, hyperthreading enabled.

As with anything VR-related, your performance depends heavily on the content. In our demo level we used assets from the new Unreal Tournament mixed with objects from the freely available Infinity Blade content pack on the marketplace. We just sort of scrounged up cool stuff that anyone has access to. Almost all rendering features were enabled except for motion blur (looks bad in VR) and image-based lens flares. We had some performance to spare so we left screen-space reflections turned on.

Thanks, good to know.

I’m actually kind of scared of this because it looks so fun I might transform into the ultimate workaholic using it :smiley:

Any progress on the VR Template front?

Had an idea for blueprinting which would be fairly interesting… make it a multi-dimensional cube with 3D objects. Each node would be a box with spline-based cylinders connecting. You could then rotate the entire area so that you have even more room to work with. Hard to explain it. If you want more info or an idea of what I’m thinking, I could make a quick 3ds / ue4 scene to demo the design idea :wink:

The other questions I had in the event thread still apply, and could be used in conjunction with a virtual keyboard: Voice input.

Will BSP brushes work?
I was surprised you didn’t show anything about them.
This would be the ultimate tool for architects.

Hello!

I am new to unreal and VR. I currently working my way thought all of it as I am working on possible VR Project. I was amazed by seeing the editor in VR space!

The first thing that came to mind was having a HUD with all the relevant information you could need, Poly-count, render time for view, numbers of objects and so on and so on… I think that would be a valuable tool to have.

I am so excited to get my hand on the editor in VR space. Epic Work people!

I think the VR team at Epic still very much wants to create one. I’m not sure about when they’ll get to it.

Sounds really cool. I think I need to see a picture though. :slight_smile:

The main reason we didn’t show BSPs is that they rely on viewport hit proxies for interaction, which we don’t yet support in VR. Remember, a hit proxy map rendered from the perspective of your eyes is not really useful in VR when you are interacting using your hands or lasers. In VR you can reach right underneath something to grab an object that is occluded, or you can aim behind where you’re looking to select with your laser. This means you’d need dual hit proxies for either hand. Currently this is too expensive to render in VR without massive throttling. So for now we’re casting rays into the scene to hit objects. Rays work pretty well for solids, but not so much for wires or sprites. We’re still working on solutions for this.

In any case, worldbuilding in VR is a top priority for us – we’ll have some cool stuff to show at some point. :slight_smile:

Good suggestion. We still have a lot of work to do on UI features, but a HUD could certainly be helpful.

Thanks so much!

Awesome! How would we make some of the editor functionality (particularly the view scaling and navigation, teleporting) available in gameplay, and be able to customize it? Is it done with blueprints?

I have been dreaming about this since I saw it many years ago.

We are so close.

I don’t think you’d want to use the editor’s navigation features directly in a game, but instead implement your own flavor of something similar. Of course all of the code will be available so you can use it as reference. The editor’s VR navigation is really based around world construction and placing/manipulating objects at different scales. Only certain types of VR games are suited for those types of controls, right?

This is amazing and as stated already exactly and rapidly moving towards the goal so many of us have been dreaming of :slight_smile:
There are many obvious and much more unknown technical and design limitations that have yet to be explored but the same can be said about the potential, the road is oh so long and complicated but thank you for embarking on it!

Can’t wait to pull it apart and put it back together again in new ways :stuck_out_tongue:

For sure! For arch viz VR presentations, a lot of what you’ve created is exactly what we’ve wanted to create to view and move around models–it’s ideal. Hope there will be some pointers on how to recreate the tools with BP. Thanks!

Ok, created a quick mock-up of what I’m thinking, which, by the way, could not the animated gif (database error)…

The idea is that nodes are 3d objects, on a 3d cube. When the dev rotates the cube, it reduces it’s opacity down to 25% (so you can see the entire node structure in all faces), and when you finish rotating, the opacity goes back to 100%. The connecting spaghetti can, of course, interconnect nodes no matter which face of the cube they are on.

You could also, instead, make the blueprint editor it’s own “level” and the nodes 3D objects which can then be linked via spline based cylinders (much like how roads and paths are created)

That was something else… We are actually getting to Minority Report… Great work guys… One more reason why people are leaving Unity and coming here!

Thanks – cool idea. It’s interesting to imagine it with the wires connecting pins, spanning across the interior of the volume as well as on the surface.

Hey , I’m extremely excited about your “Pet Project” turned “Epic Revolution”! This also has been a dream of mine to design and build in VR/AR. I watched the Twitch stream several times now and my mind is racing with new ideas. Thanks so much for your innovative work! :slight_smile: