Unreal Editor crashes when start game/simulation after upgrading from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2

Hello again.
I am encountering a problem with the editor crashing when launching an old project created from 5.0.0 editor(also runs fine in 5.0.1)

The editor just crashes with access violation blahblah and it pops out a dialog asking for sending the problem and restart the engine, but after restarting automatically or manually whenver I click the ‘run’ arrow button, it crashes again.

I also tried regenerating the msvc project and rebuild the project, but it still crashes into Unreal Editor.dll when launched from msvc debugger, which I don’t have symbols to debug with.

Initially I thought it was the changes I made to the old project’s GUI blueprints that broke the project, soI reverted to an old version of the project, but it still crashed when I launch the project from the editor.

Update:I reinstalled 5.0.2 with epic launcher and it gives the following callstack:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000320

UnrealEditor_Engine!AActor::ForEachComponent_Internal<UChildActorComponent,0,1,<lambda_5c7ffc028a53894b67d1948de9cbc371> >() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\GameFramework\Actor.h:3321]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash::CreateStreamingGrid() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\WorldPartition\WorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash.cpp:913]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash::GenerateStreaming() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\WorldPartition\WorldPartitionRuntimeSpatialHash.cpp:822]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorldPartition::GenerateStreaming() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\WorldPartition\WorldPartitionStreamingGeneration.cpp:570]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorldPartition::OnBeginPlay() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\WorldPartition\WorldPartition.cpp:332]
UnrealEditor_Engine!TBaseUObjectMethodDelegateInstance<0,UWorldPartition,void __cdecl(bool),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:611]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!TMulticastDelegate<void __cdecl(bool),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::Broadcast() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl.inl:967]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::StartPlayInEditorSession() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\PlayLevel.cpp:2516]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::StartQueuedPlaySessionRequestImpl() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\PlayLevel.cpp:1148]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::StartQueuedPlaySessionRequest() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\PlayLevel.cpp:1051]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorEngine.cpp:1665]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdEngine.cpp:474]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5215]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:183]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

Thanks.

UPDATE: I enabled the ‘streaming’ in world setting in the default level, it works flawlessly now, I R confused -.-

Any clarifications would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Works like a charm. No more crashing.

Follow up, yes when you hit streaming in the world settings and press play it works great but when you reload the game. All asset are not shown on the editor. You have to uncheck streaming for everything to load back up and hit it again to press play.
Has anyone found a fix to bypass all of this so you do not have to keep checking that streaming box?

My problem is a pawn based class I accidentally added to the scene, then I removed it from asset panel w/o removing its instance from scene/level list, then the pawn class become greyed out and cannot be deleted,or loaded. I got a loading warning in 5.0.0, which is annonying but no impact on the actual editing/testing. But when I updated to 5.0.2 it just crashes the editor when you test the game via “run” button, unless you used the streaming trick mentioned above.

Once you enable Level Streaming, make sure to load in your level fully (or whatever portion you wish to load in) via the World Partition panel. For a full explanation: Unreal Engine 5 - 5.0.2 and 5.0.3 Upgrade Crash on Begin Play SOLVED - Level Streaming Fix - YouTube