Unreal editor crashes on start up [no project]

Running V4.7.6

Iv’e been using unity and wanted to switch to unreal editor after i realized it was free, i have no prior projects on this engine.
here is the crash report data [without machine ID and epic account ID]:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
igd10umd64 + 1051958 bytes
igd10umd64 + 1158465 bytes
igd10umd64 + 1161616 bytes
igd10umd64 + 1065645 bytes
igd10umd64 + 1044131 bytes
igd10umd64 + 100944 bytes
igd10umd64 + 49181 bytes
igd10umd64 + 50576 bytes
igd10umd64 + 12093 bytes
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHIDrawIndexedPrimitive() + 1580 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\d3d11commands.cpp:1334]
UE4Editor_RHI!DrawIndexedPrimitive_Internal() + 166 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rhi\public\rhimethods.h:1937]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderingPolicy::DrawElements() + 5720 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slaterhirenderingpolicy.cpp:416]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderer::DrawWindow_RenderThread() + 1922 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slaterhirenderer\private\slaterhirenderer.cpp:441]
UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!TGraphTask<FSlateRHIRenderer::DrawWindows_Private'::35’::EURCMacro_SlateDrawWindowsCommand>::ExecuteTask() + 488 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async\taskgraphinterfaces.h:667]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasks() + 3125 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:428]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() + 77 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async\taskgraph.cpp:271]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() + 183 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:282]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() + 58 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:385]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() + 102 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() + 93 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]
kernel32 + 88525 bytes
ntdll + 178561 bytes

I’m only running the epic games launcher and chrome so i have half of my 8GB of RAM so i don’t think it’s to do with RAM.

Hello peterscraps,

I am unable to reproduce this issue with the information given. I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps in order to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide your dxdiag?
  4. Can you be more specific about when exactly your engine is crashing?
  5. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that may be involved with this crash?
  6. Could you provide any code changes that you may have made?

so i was having trouble with my computer today. and after restarting a few times (and installing some win updates) my computer is running better.
since the windows update the engine is not crashing on start-up and has fixed itself so i do not think it is repeatable but i will give the quick question information anyway if that helps you with future versions on unreal editor.

1. since it was my first time using the unreal engine editor and engine itself it was a clean project

2. load-up the epic games launcher, click launch unreal engine 4.7.6, screen will appear saying ‘initializing’ with the percentage bar going all the way up to 100%, the unreal project browser will appear. after this appears the unreal project browser will immediately freeze up (not able to select anything) after sometime (it vary’s) a box will come up telling me it has crashed with the information in the original post.

3. cannot display dxdiag file now because it fixed itself somehow

4. the moment the unreal project browser appears (or see no. 2 that’s what happened to me)

5. N/A since it’s an issue with the project browser

6. i have not even started coding yet because i can’t even load a blank project

i hope this helped but i do not know what may have caused this or fixed it.
yesterday i did restart the project browser many times so it was not a one off.

Hello peterscraps,

I am happy to hear that your issue has been resolved. I would like to thank you for going ahead and filling out the information that was requested. I will use the information provided to try and get a reproducible steps for this issue. I have also changed your comment into an answer.

Make it a great day