Unreal Editor and Windows10 Hiccups/Freezes - Microsoft News Problem + Fixed

Says it in the title. I started, out of nowhere today, experiencing hiccups in the Unreal Editor, no matter what the project. Every couple of seconds, there would be a hiccup and the editor would freeze for split second. This maddening workflow killer was in editing or play mode, and it was cutting audio for those split seconds.

I was pulling my hair out (figuratively) trying to figure out the issue when I noticed a brand new icon on my Windows menu bar. Seemed harmless, a little sun with the current weather.

Not so harmless. I opened it up and it was a full, live, streaming news feed that for whatever reason, Microsoft decided to enable FOR me, whether I asked for it or not.

I disabled the invasive thing and suddenly, surprise surprise, Unreal started working completely normally again.

Just to be clear, this does not seem to be an Unreal issue, but a “Microsoft, once again, overstepping their bounds” issue, arbitrarily deciding what I want and don’t want for me.

Don’t get me started on disabled update settings that won’t STAY disabled.

TL;DR version: If you are suddenly experiencing regular hiccups in the Unreal editor on Windows10, make sure you have that stupid MS live news feed disabled.