Unreal crashing when saving high resolution screen shot?

Hello,

There seems to be quite a few posts around the internet about how to edit the windows registry so that these crashes won’t happen however the posts aren’t always consistent and I’ve tried editing the registry but I still get crashes when saving high resolution screen shot.

Is there a proper complete guide anywhere from unreal themselves on how to set this up so you can tell windows to wait for as long as it needs to rather than crashing? Why is not default? Or a least a loading bar with a cancel button if it’s taking too long. (sorry if I’m being ignorant here, I come from an archviz back ground using max and vray/corona)

To be honest I edited my reg a while back from some guide (can’t remember what) but i remember adding a tdrDelay and setting to 8. Anyways I’ve tried setting it to 0 too as someone told me to, but I still get crashes. screenshot attached of my reg. Thanks in advance for any help!

Screenshot 2021-10-24 215234

I’m using 4.27.1

What GPU do you have? One of the main things with taking a high resolution screenshot is that it’s going to take more GPU memory to do it, so you could be maxing it out if the resolution of the screenshot is too high.

… I mean, in any half decent software the screenshots would be batched to remain within the GPU contraints.
Are you sure unreal is just blatantly exceeding ?

Not that Unreal is even half decent, mind you. Just seems kinda silly for a function that batches by nature to exceed what is possible locally just because of resolution requirements of the single task.

Hi guys thanks for replying. I have a i9900k, 64gb ram, rtx 2080ti. I’ve actually managed to produced high res screen shots before up to about 3.5k but for some reason it seems less doable now and all i’ve done differently is upgrade to 4.27.1 from 4.26.

Well .27.1 is trash right now.
I can’t even really access the menus as they toggle Methuen mid screen and where they should be intermittently.

I would probably wait on the next update.
If you kept a copy of the project in .26 you should just revert honestly.

Epic disappoints yet again. What else is new?

Ok hold on, I think I’ve cracked it. I did a bit more digging and found this article. Working around TDR in Windows for a better GPU computing experience | Puget Systems

So I set my TdrLevel to 0 and set my TdrDelay to 60.

To test it out I rammed the screen percentage to 200% and exported a high resolution screen shot at 2x the size. It took 13.5 minutes! I’m confused though as I thought setting the delay to 60 would crash after 60 seconds…I’m not complaining.tdr settings

I haven’t thoroughly tested this and I still don’t really know what I’m doing technically since I’m not a massive absolute computer nerd…but it works so use at your own risk, it locks up your pc pretty much while it’s exporting so you just gotta wait. However I tried exporting at 150 screen percentage and took a fraction of the time and looked just as good.

Cheers