Unreal crashes as soon as I open a project

Hello,

I have had unreal engine 5 work on my computer before, no idea why it’s crashing, it just says the following:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000018

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I’m having the same issue. Did you get any fixes?
If yes then please replay. I haven’t been able to find any solution yet

Hello!
What about creating a new project? Does it work?
Did you update the engine? Version?
are you using DSLL or whatever external plugin?

Info :smiley:

This happened as soon as I updated to 5.0.2(Current). It was working fine until then. I open a project and when it opens the whole window is jittery and crashes within a minute. No plugins.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000018

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi

dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12Viewport::PresentChecked() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:650]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12Viewport::Present() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:866]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12CommandContextBase::RHIEndDrawingViewport() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:1032]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommand<FRHICommandEndDrawingViewport,FRHICommandEndDrawingViewportString1939>::ExecuteAndDestruct() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHICommandList.h:768]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteInner_DoExecute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:498]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FExecuteRHIThreadTask::DoTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:560]
UnrealEditor_RHI!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:975]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:753]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:642]
UnrealEditor_Core!FTaskGraphCompatibilityImplementation::ProcessThreadUntilRequestReturn() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:2115]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRHIThread::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:325]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:146]

Hello,
I checked out that debugging symbols might help pin down the problem so I am adding these here. any editor popups or windows are just not rendering correctly either. I also tried to open the plugins window but it was flickering a lot and editor crashed soon after.

2 Likes

Found a workaround for now. Manually setting the editor to DX11 works. I don’t know why it crashes when on DX12 though. Hopefully they can find a fix for this since I’ve read all the new features extensively use DX12.

same problem here that @Blaze_Reaper64 how can i fix? downgrade directx12 to 11?

1 Like

hope you already found the solution. But yes I tried a lot and this is the only thing I could find which worked for me. It sure isn’t the best solution obviously.
I have linked how to change to DX11 manually in my previous comment.
If you did find something else then surely let me know.

1 Like

I have a laptop with a graphic card rtx 3060, and directx12, only solution that I found is really stupid thing. I have to put card parámeters in low quality (rendimiento in spanish) and all parámeters deactivated if only with low dont work, and UE5 works fine but in cinemátic and high quality has an halo when objects are moved. Thats all XD but I want to downgrade directX to 11 to see if this works better or not

1 Like

Hi,
That’s exactly what I experienced and there’s no solution except manually downgrade to DX11.
I’d tried many effort like setting nvidia control panel, uninstall & install UE 5 again, change TDR values (regedit), etc and nothing work.
FYI, I’m using RTX 2060 with 12Gb vram.

If anyone have solution beside downgrade to DX11, please share! Thank You.

1 Like

This is also happened to me when the graphics driver on my laptop wasn’t correctly installed and updated.
I’m using Win 10 with NVidia GeForce 840M. When I opened UE4 or UE5, it crashed,
and opened the crash reporter with this log:

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
d3d11
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi

Then, I tried to install my graphics driver from the NVidia Driver site, and then the crash is gone. It’s worth to try, unless you’re very confident that your graphics driver is alright and up to date.

1 Like

Regarding NVIDIA driver, Which type is perfect for Unreal Engine 5? Game Ready Driver or Studio Driver? Or it is the same?

2 Likes

I straight up just gave up. Came back after so many months to check this thread because they recently released 5.1. The problem is still there and still the only solution is to downgrade to DX11 manually.
I am using RTX 2060 6Gig vRam

1 Like

Hi! To me, the problem was solved by formatting the computer, I hope it helps!