Unreal Challenge: Better Light Than Never

Hey!

Thank YOU for being so interested in participating in this Challenge! :smiley:

Providing you have the necessary permissions, yes. Please refer to the “Submission Criteria” section of the Official Rules for further clarification on the use of non-original assets.

Thanks!

Hi!

Your submission should be posted within the category here’s the link. When you’re ready to submit, you can go to that category and hit new discussion-
From here, it will open up the template post with some additional prompts to make sure you include everything as you submit :slight_smile:

Hey @jiutiao1001! :slight_smile:

If an Entrant is a winning Entrant, this is when we will confirm the eligibility as a Student Entrant.

I appreciate your patience in us getting back to your second question. Your video file should be encoded directly from Unreal only, using any methods in the documentation. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

I hope this helps clear that up!

Regarding the use of MovieRenderQueue & Path Tracer

Your video file should be encoded directly from Unreal only, using any methods in the documentation. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

Path Tracing is not permitted as this creates an unfair advantage against those that do not have systems that can use this feature.

It is fantastic to hear that you are excited about the Challenge. We cannot wait to see what you produce!

You are welcome to create/animate characters within your scene from assets you already have and ones you make. The same goes for sounds and music- but these cannot be added in post-production. The render has to be done within Unreal Engine only.

To remain eligible- the works have to have been created by the individual as one individual submission.

There is only one submission per Entrant. If an Entrant has submitted multiple entries, all entries will be disqualified. Keep in mind, you can edit your submission post until the submission deadline.

I hope this clears that up!

Hello there. I think there still seem to be some type of confusion as far as rendering goes.
Are we allowed to use the Movie Render Queue since technically that is still inside Unreal Engine or not? Thanks!

Hey! :slight_smile:

Your video file should be encoded directly from Unreal only, using any methods in the documentation. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

Awesome! Sounds Good! Thanks

1 Like

Hi. Since we can only use the export formats from the movie render queue, we would either use legacy movie render as a video export or the Avid/ProRes formats to render as video. I don’t know much about it, but Avid and ProRes don’t export audio out? How would we combine audio in our exports since the only way I know would be to add a .wav export to it and mix in post-prod. But since we can’t use alternate software, what is the solution to this? thanks

2 Likes

IDK. Personally I think my stuff sucks but here.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/14OrBZ
UE5.0.2

1 Like

To clarify: we’re allowed to use RayTracing, just not the PathTracer?

3 Likes

I’m sorry to bring this up again, but, can an individual of excluded countries partecipate, even without being eligible of the prizes? I really would like to partecipate, from Italy.

Thank you.

2 Likes

A quick question and crisp one.
(1) - I can use any marketplace asset i own?
(2) - can I add audio with dialogues (for the sake of the flow/theme)
(3) - can I use music that’s copyrighted (since its a competition and not a publishing project? Eg: 21 guns by green day)
(4) - can we use movie render queue?
(5) - is ray tracing allowed?

Hi! I have a quick question, I work for a startup, can I participate in a group?

Can we use a Unreal Demo like with animation and assets already made and then just relight it? for example the Subway Sequencer Demo?

Correct!

Hey :slight_smile:

1. You can use Marketplace assets you own, free Marketplace content, and the assets provided by KitBash3D. What you use that is non-original will have to be cited in your submission post.

2. Yes, but this will have to be done in Unreal Engine as post-production is not permitted.

3. No, you cannot use music that you do not own the rights to, have a license to, or have permission to use. The same goes for any type of asset. As per the Official Rules , “Although Sponsor is not reviewing Submissions for copyright violations, if, in the sole discretion of Sponsor, it is believed an Entrant’s Submission constitutes or may constitute copyright infringement, such Submission will be disqualified.” Please refer to the Official Rules for further details on submission criteria.

4. Yes, you can use Movie Render Queue. Your video file should be encoded directly from Unreal only, using any methods in the documentation. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

5. Yes, Raytracing is permitted.

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi!

Unfortunately, the Challenge is only open to individuals, not teams, studios or collectives. If each person wishes to enter the Challenge, they would have to do so as an Individual. :slight_smile:

Great that we can include music, however, what is the method if we can’t use an editing software to combine the video and audio after it’s been exported from UE?