Unreal Challenge: Animation

CHALLENGE UPDATE:

Check out our all-new course that covers recording with OBS so that you can show off your UEFN experiences in style, not to mention–your Unreal Challenge UEFN entry!

Hi are we allowed to animated in maya and then do the rest in Unreal? The rules say no post processing but nothing about this.

1 Like

Hey! Yes. You can use Maya to create animations, along with other tools, to produce your submission.

Your video file must be encoded directly from Unreal Engine only, using any methods described in the documentation, including Movie Render Queue. We reserve the right to ask you to provide a screen recording of running the render from Movie Render Queue.

2 Likes

I see you already posted a few links to animation and mocap programs, looks alright. I’m actually looking for something like DeepLabCut to generate skeleton rigs and animations from pose estimation in markerless videos of non humanoid creatures, with an UE5 or Blender integration. This might be the right spot to ask?

GitHub - DeepLabCut/DeepLabCut: Official implementation of DeepLabCut: Markerless pose estimation of user-defined features with deep learning for all animals incl. humans

2 Likes

Hello! Great challenge :slight_smile:
Am I able to record my own mocap footage - clean it up in Motion Builder - bring it into Unreal Engine and do the rest within UE? Thanks!

Nvm! Just noticed your previous reply saying we are able to use Maya, along with other tools, as long as the final output is from UE. Cheers.

2 Likes

Are we allowed to use animation from mocap libraries (in the point of “you may use premade assets”)? If so, how will this be judged?

1 Like

This is gonna be insane!

Will we be allowed to watch all submissions somewhere ?

Submissions will be posted to the Unreal Challenge category for both Unreal Engine and Unreal Editor for Fortnite applications.

The spirit of the challenge is to create something original. That being said, that doesn’t mean there isn’t effort, skill, and creativity that goes into making non-original assets work together towards an overall coherent piece that works with the theme and other elements that you add to your submission.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

CAN YOU SPEEL MET

One thing that would be amazing to add to the prize pool would be maybe “1 hour zoom with an animation expert from our team” to talk about our challenges, ask how we could build our own projects better, what should change and what we got right.

I’m working heavily with control rig and it’s so hard to know if I’m doing anything correctly, is it in the right order, was this the best way to calculate this effect, etc. Chatting with a senior for ANY amount of time would be absolutely amazing and REALLY help people learn faster and better.

Something to maybe consider for either this round or the next :slight_smile:

3 Likes

According to that why do you prefer 30 or 60 frames per second? 24 fps (film) is giving my cinematic more a film look. So if I can use Movie Render Queue I can set it to 24 fps. Would it be disqualifing?

You wrote that:

30 or 60 frames per second is preferred; others are welcome for creative exploration, but these may not be able to be used in a potential winner or honorable mention sizzle.

Honestly I would like to use 24 fps (film) but also would like to “be able to be used in a potential winner sizzle” :slight_smile: So is it possible or would be risky and better stick with 30 fps? But if so - why? :wink:

The rules state:
“The highest community-voted Qualified Unreal Engine Submission will be deemed the potential UE Community Recognition Award Prize winner. The highest community-voted Qualified Unreal Editor for Fortnite Submission will be deemed the potential UEFN Community Recognition Award Prize winner.”

How does the “community” vote? Seems more like a popularity contest. Meaning, someone with 5000 followers/friends is likely to get more votes than someone with 500 followers/friends.

That aside, can you tell us how an individual votes?

Thanks,

–Duane

Hey!

Having a variable frame rate to the 30 or 60 preferred doesn’t disqualify your entry. It may, however, mean it could not be a part of the sizzle. Previously the majority of entries submitted in challenges have been 30 or 60; having a different frameset that doesn’t directly fold into this can create issues in producing the sizzle and sometimes results in skipped frames or the appearance of skipped frames.

This is why we would prefer the 30 or 60-frame rate to avoid issues like this. We may reach out if there are issues or if there is an opportunity to supply a render out a different frame rate.

Please don’t be put off by this; you’re welcome to create your entry at 24fps, but please keep in mind that we may ask for a re-render during our outreach.

Thanks!

Hey!

Voting will become available after the closed submission window and relative information collected from the submissions. It will be added to this thread with how people can vote.

To be able to vote, the voter would need to be logged into their account. We have things in place to help us confirm the validity of votes.

I hope this helps!

Happy animating!

Hello. I accidentally set my submission youtube video to “for kids only”. Is it ok to go and edit the permissions? I won’t be changing anything else.

Great work from everyone on their entries! I am curious when we can expect the results might be posted and if we should just keep up to date with this forum for any news?

From the official rules:
9. Notification. Potential Winning Entrants will be notified on or about August 17, 2023 (or such other time as reasonably required by Sponsor for such notification) via the email address provided with their Submission, and may be required to sign and return, where legal, a Prize Acceptance and Release Form (“Prize Release”) within the timeframe specified below.

Community Recognition voting has now been enabled! Votes will be collected at the end of the month.

We encourage participants to look at the community’s submissions and engage in all the awesome content!

To vote, enter the submission post, and on the left of the title, you will see the VOTE button and counter!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

5 Likes