Unreal can't find DirectX12 even though I have it

I just downloaded Unreal Engine 5.1 and it can’t find DirectX12. I’ve checked and DirectX12 does work on my computer, so it’s probably a corrupted file in UE. What should I do?

When you say “can’t find DirectX12,” what makes you think that that’s the problem? If you can copy-and-paste the actual error, that might help.

For example, if you’re trying to compile, but don’t have the right Windows SDK installed, then it won’t find DirectX12 headers. This is different from the DirectX12 runtime files, which “make DirectX 12 work.”

Also, it may be that your graphics card supports the DirectX 12 API, but not shader model 6, which is also required to use the DirectX 12 support in Unreal.

Screenshot (153)
I couldn’t highlight the error, but I did take a screenshot. It may be SM6 in this case, what would I do then?

1 Like

with the SM6 shader format

So, either you need to upgrade your drivers, or you need to upgrade your graphics card.

Or, if it’s a laptop with both built-in and external graphics, you need to make sure it starts the editor with the external graphics. How that’s done, depends on your laptop.

1 Like

I have a rather low end laptop. Is there any way I can still use DirectX 12 without purchasing anything else(like an external graphics card)? My specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

No, if the hardware doesn’t support shader model 6 then the hardware won’t work for that.

Lol. Dude i have RTX 3070 and still i get this message. So it is not about changing hardware

Interesting. It works on most people’s RTX hardware, on most people’s versions of Windows.
If this doesn’t work for you, what’s your geforce driver version, what’s your OS and version, and do you also have another card, or a laptop, or a CPU with built-in graphics you may or may not be using?

I am getting the same on the latest series (RTX4090)