Unreal, C4d and Octane

I am a complete newbie here. I use C4D and Octane solely before I stumbled upon Unreal Engine. I work in archviz and sometimes dabble in very simple interior animations but 99% still renders. I have seen some incredible footage on the web created with Unreal and am tempted to learn especially with the added benefit of Megascans being readily available.

What is the benefit of using the Octane plugin for Unreal? Is the Octane engine more realistic? Wondered if anyone is in exporting C4d models with Octane materials into Unreal. Does this even work?

Just try it. I’ll honestly say that I haven’t seen forum posts about it, and I’m checking forums / AnswerHub daily, especially in Rendering, Content Creation, and Visualization / ArchViz. Look up Datasmith. There’s probably lots of posts about C4D models importing, but rarely have I seen Octane posts. If it’s primarily static / non-animated scenes, then do a deep reading of Lightmass (including GPU Lightmass) and lightmapping as it pertains to Unreal Engine.

Hey

Okay cool, I see. Thank you for some input. Seems like its still a fairly new subject.

From what your saying and what other people have said. Seems like Unreal is more for Cinema 4D users who want to do motion graphics and render out their work quicker.

Where as for still images people can still stay in Cinema 4D and use the Octane plug in there.

I was just curious because I thought Unreal was meant to be more powerful in the sense of getting better quality renders, motion and still and this was why people were making the transition.

Hi NathanKhan,

I can’t answer you’re question that well but I have spoken to a local freelancer who has imported Octane materials into Unreal. Yet to try myself but still keen to try. I do think the workflow is to import octane materials into Quixel mixer and then on into Unreal.

I think the point of using Octane in Unreal is for the Unreal users wanting to get better results for stills.

I would like to see Octane work it’s magic in real-time inside Unreal one day. Materials are so much easier to create.

Hey

This is something I am too interested in.

I just posted a question myself asking what are the benefits of using Octane inside of Unreal.

I cant seem to find any information out there on this subject and if its possible to bring scenes which are made in Cinema and textured in Octane materials and if this is all transferable over to Unreal and still work…

For stills offline renderers provide better results with ease. I personally think it’s harder to get that same result in Unreal but achievable.

However, Unreal is the future…it’s hard to learn but from what I can see it can do anything.

I’m learning to use it for Virtual Production, I produce all of my projects in C4d/Octane and I still use that software but whilst I can I’m trying to jump ship as quick as I can. So much to catch up on!

Yeah exactly unreal is the future like you said and the quicker we jump on the hype the better.

Been following this guy for Cinema 4D/Unreal stuff:

This is very helpful, thanks!!